Firearm Owners In The Fandom?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Jarren, Aug 5, 2016.

1. PoptartPresident

PoptartPresident A teen chatter box

Well I mean after being raised in an urban city for 17 years you start to wonder if the air could ever smell better or if there's something more visually appealing than the tended parks, and random neighbors who you'll never know the names of.

Crimson_Steel17 and Jarren like this.
  2. Jarren

Jarren You can't just quote yourself! -Me

I live in a small town. I have for 24 years. I can't name half my neighbors :p
    The less urbanized you get the better your quality of life in my experience. I've got family who live in cities and they're all miserable. Sure, it's not as economically vibrant, but it makes you appreciate that life is a bit more than just amenities.

3. PoptartPresident

Exactly!
    Now I'm not gonna lie. I love technology.
    And I really like nature, but I don't wanna live in it like a tree hugger.

But it would be nice to live in my own house for a smaller price (non-urban houses tend to be a LOT cheaper than urban ones), and have access to a nice greenfield or scene where I can admire the appealing part of nature

4. Shane McNair

Shane McNair Adrenaline addicted Arwing pilot

There most definitely is. About 20 or 30 minutes to the west of me is some very nice and scenic national forest land. Have you ever had the experience of listening to the absolute, still silence of nature? I have, and it's amazing. By contrast, just 90 miles to the south of me is the bustling metropolis of Denver, CO, and I'm very thankful to not have to deal with all the congestion, traffic, pollution, and obnoxiousness on a daily basis. On the few occasions that I go down there it's always something of a shock, and it's obvious to me why city people are always so stressed out. People just aren't meant to live together in such huge concentrations.

5. PoptartPresident

I have never heard pure silence before because anything I could of having as "pure silence" is really just having my head to myself with ambiance of cars going by and the house AC unit in real life.
    Another thing too is I (shocker) have a driving phobia. And it doesn't help when the roads in the city aren't made properly, and you're being forced to share the skinny and disgustingly overpainted roads with cars that barely fit on the boundaries.
    I've heard that non-urban areas also tend to have bigger and less crowded roads...which sounds amazing for me

I'd love to have an experience like that one day.

6. Jarren

There is experimental precedent for this among mice and rats.
    Living outside of large urban centers does also make dealing with power outages and other hiccups of the modern system easier to deal with. You learn to get on fairly well on your own after the third or fourth ice storm. Plus, with all the protests/riots bubbling up around the country right now, there's less risk of damage to you or your property if you are not near those while they happen. Yet another bonus, and relevant to this thread, is that rural areas tend to have laxer firearm regulations and more open-air ranges.

7. Shane McNair

Well yeah, the roads around here definitely aren't that crowded compared to Denver. To me, driving just about anywhere along Colorado's front range corridor is an anxiety and/or anger inducing experience, and it just keeps getting worse all the time. Sometimes it can be downright scary, especially in the winter. Just about every time I go down there I see crashed and rolled-over vehicles lying in the median.

8. Shane McNair

Yup, I consider myself to be very lucky in this regard. Also, that video pretty well sums up my feelings on spreading awareness about the importance of responsible reproduction and encouraging some form of population control, lest we end up like China or India.

Wow, this thread is really getting off topic, lol.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2017
  9. PoptartPresident

Imagine being in a city where the buildings are so tall that none of the roads have much light, and the cars around you are on their phones, and not paying attention to the huge amount of traffic that is mere inches from their vehicles.

Also, there is just something I absolutely hate about the scent of downtown. It just smells so unappealing and I don't like being on those sidewalks

10. Shane McNair

I already experience idiots with phones glued to their ears on a fairly regular basis, albeit on a smaller scale, I assume.

Life in the big shitty.

11. PoptartPresident

Lol...

So weird. A lot of you guys here are above 20 and I feel like I haven't had a conversation like this in years

12. Shane McNair

Neither have I. Strangely enough, that's what I come here for, but it doesn't happen often.

13. PoptartPresident

Honestly I only came here to suggest something for Furaffinity because that's usually what Forums are for in the first place. To comment and make suggestions about whatever the Forums are devoted to.

But these forums are really special...in an oddly appealing way maybe this place could be considered a new social media site

Crimson_Steel17 likes this.
  14. Jarren

*Preps defibrillators*
    So, let's bring this thread back to life and back on topic.
    *Delivers shock*

I was bumbling around a local gun show the other day (several weeks back) and I stumbled upon this fugly looking abomination.
    [​IMG]
    That, my friends, is a poor, innocent, mosin nagant that's been ripped from it's original furniture and mountings and cobbled into some awkward looking bullpup monstrosity. I'm not even sure how you can actually fully cycle the bolt, truth be told, unless they somehow converted it to straight pull. I don't understand what there is to gain by making a bolt action bullpup, and I'm a fan of the platform. The guy was not really forthcoming with information, so I feel like it's some notionally functional cludge someone pawned off on him that he just can't seem to sell, but I digress. So, thoughts on sporterizing old mil-surp guns? Do you like the idea, or do you find it horrifying that people could do things like this to such time-tested hardware? Do you OWN a frankengun like this? I wanna know.

Apart from the abomination, I managed to snag a nearly mint condition ( the thing had to have been unissued) Turkish mauser. It shoots beautifully and while the action isn't quite as smooth as you'd expect from a German made version, it runs well. They're coming into the country fairly cheap at the moment, so if you like mausers, I'd pick one up before the supply goes the way of the dodo bird.

Also, has anyone heard any news about the hearing protection act? Did it die in congress, or is it still being ironed out? I haven't heard any info for more than a month.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2017
    Zenoth likes this.
  15. Surreal Mentality

Surreal Mentality Subaru goes BWAAAAPSSSSHHHHH

If you want the best deals on milsurp munitions buy French. Guaranteed unfired. ;)

Last edited: Apr 24, 2017
  16. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox Well-Known Member

The only firearm I've ever owned was a Gamo air rifle. This thread makes my penis feel intimidated.

Simo likes this.
  17. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox Well-Known Member

18. SniperCoon2882

SniperCoon2882 The insomniatic marksman

Currently I've got a (new at time of posting) tactical airsoft AK 74 and an (airsoft) short barreled ar 15 (that's broken at the moment).

I would love to get:
    - A Savage Arms Mk. 2 F (or G if i want wood) Savage Arms : Firearms : Model : Mark II F
    - An AK 74 (preferably tactical/tacticool)
    - A long-barreled AR chambered in 6.5 Grendel
    - Concealed Carry Pistol (maybe a S&W M&P 9 Shield) www.smith-wesson.com: M&P®9 SHIELD™ | Smith & Wesson

But for now, just gotta focus on getting through (and paying for) college.

19. SSJ3Mewtwo

SSJ3Mewtwo Administrator Staff Member

No. Prior military service does not change the sort of firearm permitted to a citizen.

Some states do count the prior military service as meeting the their specific training requirements, so a service-member can skip a state-required training program. Other states do not, however, and being qualified in that fashion in one state, or being issued a permit in a state that does accept that circumstance, doesn't mean it carries over to other states.

The guns in that pic? Those aren't really specialized pieces, not by far. All are semi-auto, pump, or some other non-automatic firearm. And they're all very common civilian calibers. Some (like the air-rifle), aren't even really firearms.

20. Shane McNair

Jesus, why would someone do that? Why are there so many stupid Bubbas who insist on doing this sort of thing to firearms?

I may not particularly be a fan of the Mosin in terms of handling, ergonomics, accuracy, or assembly, but I DO have a great appreciation for history and a healthy respect for the historical significance of firearms like this. This is just plain wrong. This is the gun equivalent of those borderline abusive tot moms who groom their five year old daughters to perform in child "beauty pageants", making them look like little whores and depriving them of a normal childhood. There's nothing even remotely appealing about this shit. It's a Mosin, let it be a Mosin. Don't turn it into some fugly mall ninja looking piece of shit. Whoever created this abomination should be shot with it.

Also, I used to have a Turkish Mauser years ago. I remember that it sold for $90. Those were the days...

Last edited: Apr 28, 2017
    Jarren and Zenoth like this.
  21. Kellan Meig'h

Kellan Meig'h Kilted Coder

That poor Moisin needs to be put out of its misery. How in hell would you even cycle the bolt without dropping it from your shoulder? Whatever Bubba did that needs to be beat senseless with empty 7.62 X 54R ham cans and his tools taken away from him so he can't do that again.

I do like new/old firearms, too. My Garand was Milsurp, unissued. It also had enough cosmoline on it for three or four rifles. I scooped/scraped about a pound of grease off of it before I used up a tonne-load of Hoppes and two rolls of paper towels finishing the job.

22. Rykhoteth

Rykhoteth I AM A HUGE JIAN PLEASE BREAK MY LEGS

I miss the days when a Mosin was 80-90$ USD, and you could get a tin of surplus rounds, 440 for ~95$. There were enough of them around nobody cared if you took a not particularly rare make and bastardized it. They made for mediocre hunting rifles when sporterized, but 54R is a hell of a lot of fun to shoot.

Did you snag a Carbine as well? I'll never understand why they're so expensive now, aside from historical value, since in my experience they're somewhat mediocre and without any practical use anymore. I've got a very nice restored Carbine that's a lot of fun, but .30 Carbine is hard to find and a bit overpriced. I still like my M14a1 over either it or my Garand.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2017
  23. Shane McNair

I've always been more of a traditionalist when it comes to firearms. This means that I tend to prefer things like GI style 1911s, AKs with nice wood furniture and standard iron sights, and AR-15s that have the classic look of fixed carry handle sights and basic polymer furniture. While I recognize and appreciate the benefits of modularity and a good red dot optic, newer configuration ARs just don't tickle my fancy the way my old Colt SP-1 did....

Colt AR-15 5.png

Before I bought it, this was a personal firearm that belonged to a retired cop and local gun shop owner here who brought it with him when he moved out here from California back in 2006 or 07. As much as I liked this rifle, it was more of a safe queen than something I felt comfortable actually using a lot, which is what I have more of a need for. Also, I didn't like being limited by the 1:12 inch rifling twist, and wanted something with a more modern barrel that could stabilize longer, heavier bullets up to at least 70 grains. I ended up selling this rifle to an old Vietnam vet who was looking for something that closely approximated what he was issued in the army, and I was more than happy to oblige him. I felt it was kind of like reuniting him with an old friend from long ago.

It has since been replaced by an M-16A4 style rifle; a Windham Weaponry complete upper on a DPMS lower with a White Oak Armament A2 style buttstock. However I still have yet to change out the DPMS lower parts with stuff that I feel is more durable, but I already have those parts on hand. I just haven't gotten around to it. One thing that I will say about the old SP-1s is that they are wonderfully lightweight and handle very well. Even though the pencil barrel tends to heat up and lose accuracy more quickly, the weight savings are noticeable compared to an A2 profile barrel.

24. Kellan Meig'h

Kellan Meig'h Kilted Coder

The Air Force would have designated that an XM177E2 or an M16. What most of us called a Johnny Mattel. Slick side, no forward assist, no fence. I garnered three Oak Leaf clusters with a very similar piece back in the '70's. An honest piece that would make any "Nam Vet" proud to own it. Go get the GI cans full of 55 Gr. FMJ rounds and have at it.

Shane McNair likes this.
  25. Shane McNair

Yup. They have an appealing old school quality to them, for sure. Also, I think the Air Force was even still issuing the A1 to recruits at Lackland as recently as 2007, and I'd bet they still have some in inventory. The Air Force doesn't seem to wear out their weapons quite as quickly as the other branches. Another thing I really liked about my SP-1 was the simplicity of the sights. They're good, rugged combat sights, and there's nothing excessive about them at all. You've got the rear sight drum for adjusting windage, the front sight post is adjustable for elevation, and that's it. Just set both of them to mechanical zero with a bullet tip and move them a few clicks this way or that when zeroing on the range, and once your POA and POI match up, that's it. You'll likely never have to mess with the sights again, and they'll never accidentally get bumped off zero. I always prefer a 50 yard zero myself. With that zero the trajectory won't arc too much between 50 and 200 yards. I think it's the most versatile zero and the one that's best suited for shooting at realistic combat distances, from 0-300 yards.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2017