Firearm Owners In The Fandom?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Jarren, Aug 5, 2016.

1. Rykhoteth

Rykhoteth I AM A HUGE JIAN PLEASE BREAK MY LEGS

I need to get a decent carry piece that's not 45 cal, those are all the semi-auto handguns I've got.

Reading into caliber comparisons and analysis assuming modern hollowpoint defense rounds, between 45, 40, 357, 9, and 380, is a god damn rabbit hole. I get torn between the extremes: just using this as an excuse to buy a 10mm or larger for muh stopping power, or buy a 380 and practice tight groupings with mag dumps, or just buy a 9mm like the rest of the world.

Too bad 7.62x54R surplus dried up. I never got to shoot my Mosin before I might as well be shooting anything else I own.

2. Crimson_Steel17

Crimson_Steel17 Jumping feet first into hell... seems like my job

I don't own one YET, but I'm a pretty good shot- even then, a good set of knives is far deadlier in a home invasion than pulling a gun any day (stealth mode activated)

3. Aleksion

Aleksion They killed me

With enough time and right tools even the world's safest bank vault can be opened. Most burglaries are smash and grab style, so if burglars can't enter quickly they are likely to leave.

4. Crimson_Steel17

Woefully ignorant as usual, it seems

Sogreth likes this.
  5. Simo

Simo Skunk

Nope. I'd be too scared I'd shoot myself, during a depressive episode...would be too dangerous to have around. My cousin shot himself on his 21st birthday, maybe 5 years ago? It was February, in Michigan, in the snow. Then, I also had an aunt and uncle kill themselves, via an OD; my brother made some very close attempts.

So given my family history, a gun would not be wise for me; I may seem pretty well balanced, here, but IRL, I have some very extreme states.

It's curious, too: guns are used more often in suicide, than homicide...living in Baltimore, that struck me as curious.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2017
  6. Jarren

Jarren You can't just quote yourself! -Me

It is a bit unsettling to look at the number of gun homicides compared to suicides. It speaks of a massive lack of metal health support in the U.S.

AustinB, Sogreth, Lcs and 1 other person like this.
  7. Crimson_Steel17

Amen, reverend... I think I understand why they don't allow guns on college campuses- it's not for the safety of others, it's for the safety of one's self

8. Lcs

Lcs Woof

More likely is that it's done not only for the safety of the owners, but also the other students.

By the way, some college campuses do allow firearms and even concealed carry permits interestingly enough.

Crimson_Steel17 likes this.
  9. Crimson_Steel17

I can only speak for my college... they make us lock up any weapons we have at the Police Department

10. Aleksion

Aleksion They killed me

Or that guns are sold to anyone. Ironically by having a gun you're at higher risk of dying

11. Crimson_Steel17

Woefully ignorant, yet again. When you try to buy a gun, you have to pass a background check. It's not as simple as "I like gun, take my money" like you seem to want us to believe

12. Aleksion

Aleksion They killed me

oh bugger off. Anyone does not have to mean 100%, 99% is still anyone in this case

13. Crimson_Steel17

*Shakes head* Mods, time to close this one- it's 3 posts away from going to sh*t

14. Jarren

Jarren You can't just quote yourself! -Me

By the same rationale, you're much more likely to be kicked to death by a horse if you own a horse than if you don't. Also, firearm accidents don't account for much of that, it's mostly suicides, which are a choice (sometimes impulsive and always ill advised) so they're not much more dangerous than, say, chainsaws or ladders on the basis of ownership alone.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2017
    Zenoth, AustinB and Crimson_Steel17 like this.
  15. Crimson_Steel17

FINALLY, some logic in this thread. First in a while

Zenoth and AustinB like this.
  16. Aleksion

Aleksion They killed me

People are aware of those risk, however for many owning guns give a false sense of security.

17. Crimson_Steel17

Fallacy. You're begging the question.

18. Aleksion

Aleksion They killed me

no.

19. Crimson_Steel17

For most of us, it's not about the sense of security- it's about the fact that a gun is badass or is fun to fire or just looks really nice. You're begging the question of "why even buy a gun"

You have yet to prove that you can out-logic me... so go ahead. Try to surprise me with a well planned and reasoned response, backed by verifiable data from a reliable source. And you'd do well not to attempt to insult me solely because I disagree

Sogreth likes this.
  20. Aleksion

Aleksion They killed me

If you buy a gun knowing it's more likely to kill you than to save you, more power to you.