Firearm Owners In The Fandom?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Jarren, Aug 5, 2016.

1. Crimson_Steel17

Crimson_Steel17 Jumping feet first into hell... seems like my job

For most of us, it's not about the sense of security- it's about the fact that a gun is badass or is fun to fire or just looks really nice. You're begging the question of "why even buy a gun"

You have yet to prove that you can out-logic me... so go ahead. Try to surprise me with a well planned and reasoned response, backed by verifiable data from a reliable source. And you'd do well not to attempt to insult me solely because I disagree

Sogreth likes this.
  2. Aleksion

Aleksion They killed me

If you buy a gun knowing it's more likely to kill you than to save you, more power to you.

3. Crimson_Steel17

Attempt failed. 2 remaining

You're using the logic of a 5th grader- not going to fly in an otherwise educated discussion...

Currently muted... get back to you later (when I can talk)

Last edited: Mar 20, 2017
  4. Jarren

Jarren What doesn't kill me makes me stranger.

@Crimson_Steel17 , @Aleksion can you two please stop bickering before you get my thread locked? I like my thread, it was a nice place.

AustinB and Lcs like this.
  5. Aleksion

Aleksion They killed me

Since you're so educated on this subject can please tell me how many people do legally own guns and how many do commit suicides with them in the us? Then compare to adults who do not own guns and commit suicide by other methods. I'm very curious if having a gun increases the risk of successful suicide.

6. AustinB

AustinB Active Member

Jesus dude. That's a lot to go through. I don't know what I would do if I had 3 family members commit suicide and my brother attempt suicide multiple times as well. Sorry that had to happen to you. Is depression a thing that runs through the family?

Crimson_Steel17 and Simo like this.
  7. Rykhoteth

Rykhoteth Dancin' Robot

I remember reading gas stoves being largely phased out significantly reduced suicides. It was too easy to turn on the gasflow then just lay your head inside. A lot of suicides are impulsive, as in they wouldn't happen without super fast accessible painless means.

8. Simo

Simo Skunk

It is kind of odd, given I don't have a very large family, and that these deaths happened on both my mother's and father's side, and with an aunt related by marriage...and that my brother is adopted. Nature and nurture, perhaps...and yet my (immediate) family looks and seems sane enough, to all outward appearances. But yeah, it does seem depression runs through my family, in more ways than seem likely.

I also agree that the 'impulsive' nature of such states is a huge, understated part; a sure and quick means at hand has shown to be very highly correlated.

Guns and suicide: Harvard Study:This paints a decent outline; there's lot of literature out there on this, and it's not always cut and dry, by any means: www.hsph.harvard.edu: Suicide

Well, having fought at points to stay alive, I've avoided guns...I think if I took up something similar, it'd be archery; maybe become Robin Hood! I think that'd be more fun, I'd be a good Robin Hood.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2017
    AustinB, Crimson_Steel17 and Jarren like this.
  9. Jarren

Jarren What doesn't kill me makes me stranger.

I don't know about archery, dude. I mean, first you've gotta buy the bow and the arrows. Then you get a taste for it, and you're picking up a compound bow. Then a longbow. Then Crossbows catch your attention and you eventually move on to a full-blown ballista. Then you buy a few more, get some friends together, and the next thing you know you end up laying siege to Carthage. I dunno. It seems like a real commitment to me :p
    In all seriousness, archery is really fun and arguably requires more skill to perform well at than rifle/handgun sports, and it's got a wonderful amount of history and application behind it. I've kind of regretted not pursuing it further when I was first introduced to it.

Crimson_Steel17 and Simo like this.
  10. Rykhoteth

Rykhoteth Dancin' Robot

Ballistas? Amateur hour. No hardware capable of anything less than a 90 kg projectile over 300 meters is worthwhile.

Jarren and Crimson_Steel17 like this.
  11. Kellan Meig'h

Kellan Meig'h Kilted Coder

Another dumb piece of trivia. Getting called to either a home or a hospital to take a report from a person that shot himself/herself. It always seemed to start with the statement, "I was just cleaning my weapon . . ."

I always follow a rule that says check the chamber first. Even if I see you check the firearm, I will do so again once I have it in my possession.

True story; I was at the local to me indoor range with my wife and oldest daughter some twenty-odd years ago. I was shooting a Redhawk converted to .475 Linebaugh, the wife and daughter were practicing with the .38 Specials using some 110g HBWC rounds and the range master was shooting his 'tuned' AMT Longslide Hardballer in the bay next to me. I finished for the night (when my shooting glove split in the palm) so he finished his magazine, ejected the magazine, waited until we were out of the range area to pull the trigger to drop the hammer. It still had a live round in it due to a number of flaws in his gunsmithing and general gun handling. He almost shot his right big toe off, scaring the sh!t out of himself and everyone that was in the range at that time.

The piece was confiscated at the scene and examined carefully by a local master armorer. It was very easy to repeat that same malfunction, since the slide would fail to lock back about fifty percent of the time. It lulled him into a false sense of security, that it was unloaded when in fact, it still had one more round in it, just waiting for his ignorance to strike. Lessons learned? One, If you are not a trained gunsmith, do no modifications to a firearm. Period. Two, always check the chamber, do not just assume it is clear.

An amateur gunsmith tried to lighten the trigger on a Ruger 10/22. He was Joe Clueless from Cluelessville. He decided the first magazine to use after the mods would be a 100 round drum stoked with the famous(infamous?) Yellowjacket High Velocity ammo. He pulled the trigger once, it fired 87 rounds full auto before a stovepipe jam stopped the process. He p!ssed himself. I dove for cover, just in case he swept the barrel around, looking for help. I damn near shat myself, too. The 10/22 makes a scary 'ripping' sound in full auto.

Just sayin'

Jarren, Zenoth and Crimson_Steel17 like this.
  12. Crimson_Steel17

The exact number of owners would be difficult to ascertain, as simply looking into the legal paper trail only accounts for guns sold legally, and disregards owners with multiple firearms and criminals with guns off of the black market. The number of suicides using a firearm, regardless of ownership of said firearm, while it may seem large, only accounts for small fraction of all causes of death- approximately 0.0067% of the population annually, according to the CDC. It is worth noting that the fatality rate for injuries sustained in a collision, regardless of who was at fault and the position of the vehicle at time of impact, and regardless of number of impacts, is greater- to the tune of approximately 0.0106% of the population annually according to the CDC.
    There is actually an additional category you must include, which actually skews the data in a way not noted by the CDC or any other major authority on the raw statistics regarding fatality rates. Because such statistics are not kept, this question is impossible to answer accurately on the basis that the raw statistic for suicide rate by method is inaccurate itself.
    Statistically, while this idea shows a glimmer of truth, no method of suicide is more or less successful than another- and the simple reason is that statistics are not kept for unsuccessful attempts by method. Even if there were, it would have to be a sub-statistic of nonfatal injuries by method- and neither the CDC nor any other major authority on the raw statistics of injuries and fatalities by method tracks this. Additionally, the statistics on hand can only account for method by choice, and this only tells how often a method is preferred over others regardless of success. Overall, another argument with great potential wasted by facts.

Attempt failed, 1 remaining.
    The data you requested debunked the vague position you attempted to take. Also, you attempted to take a vague position and force me to back into a corner- all while insisting that because I'm "so educated" in subject matter that I was some kind of scum or false prophet.

Zenoth likes this.
  13. Shane McNair

Shane McNair Adrenaline addicted pursuit pilot

*Sigh* anytime someone posts a thread about firearms, inevitably it seems that it's always going to degrade into a political/crime statistics thread. See, this is why we can't have nice things, like a nice, pleasant and enjoyable thread.

How in the hell does someone shoot themselves while cleaning a firearm? I've never understood that. When I'm cleaning a firearm, I've always got a cleaning rod/cable stuffed down the bore with a patch or brush on the end of it. No way is a round going to get chambered with that in the way, even if I was being negligent, which I NEVER am.

Zenoth and Crimson_Steel17 like this.
  14. Crimson_Steel17

I agree. As for the bit about the physics of people shooting themselves, they're dumbasses that don't know to check the chamber visually while keeping the firearm pointed AWAY from ANY part of them

15. Shane McNair

1. Muzzle discipline
    2. Trigger discipline
    3. "ALWAYS treat EVERY firearm as if it is loaded."
    4. "Know your target and what is beyond it."

Gun safety 101. This is basic shit. If you're too stupid or cavalier to learn and follow the four fundamental rules of gun safety, then you really have no business owning or possessing a firearm to begin with. I support the constitutional rights of all law-abiding Americans to keep and bear arms, 110%. But I'll also readily acknowledge that there are some people who are simply too irresponsible and foolish to be trusted with the exercise and stewardship of these rights. All rights necessarily come with responsibilities attached.

Zenoth and Crimson_Steel17 like this.
  16. Crimson_Steel17

One more for you (that I learned at BSA summer camp): "If you are unsure about ANY part of the shot you are about to take, then do NOT discharge your firearm"

And you're absolutely right... although you just managed to sum up about 30 rules in 4 points (much better than Daisy could do with their Red Ryder instruction manuals), and I doubt most people take the time to actually pay attention to AND apply them- no wonder so many dumbasses manage to handle a firearm before anyone can trust that they're not a hazard to everyone else on the range. Honestly, I feel that there's a strong argument for requiring schools to educate students on the dangers of (mis)handling firearms, and how to avoid firearm-related injuries- even though I know it will never happen (even as Driver's ed was cut long ago), I still feel it deserves recognition as a option.

But above all else, it all comes down to "Think, stay calm, and don't do anything without first thinking about the potential consequences if it goes wrong." Just my 2 cents worth, though.

Shane McNair likes this.
  17. KimberVaile

KimberVaile Edgy teenage apathy.

I own a 70's Ruger Six Shot, and a 50's Remington 11-48 automatic 16 gauge shot gun, both were inherited. Can't say I' m a good shot, but they're good guns for what they are, might be because of how overly cautious I am about firing them, but I digress, not oppsoed to gun ownership.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2017 at 6:25 AM
  18. Kellan Meig'h

Kellan Meig'h Kilted Coder

Although I will not get into what was shared by said owners that shot themselves, I'm sure it was failure to safety the weapon, i.e. make damned sure it was unloaded before wiping it down. I almost never observed cleaning supplies in the vicinity when there was a idiot-induced discharge.

Crimson_Steel17 likes this.
  19. Shane McNair

Absolutely.

Crimson_Steel17 likes this.
  20. Crimson_Steel17

Yeah, that's the most common scenario: safety off, didn't visually inspect the chamber, unaware of muzzle direction (towards themselves)... in all honesty, I don't know WHAT makes these people commit that mistake- but I can tell you that it's something I've never done myself (apparent from the lack of bullet holes...)

Last edited: Mar 27, 2017 at 4:49 AM