Firearm Owners In The Fandom?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Jarren, Aug 5, 2016.

1. Shane McNair

Shane McNair Adrenaline addicted Arwing pilot

Link doesn't work.

So tell me @GreenZone, in general, how good a shot would you say you are with the Hi-Powers you guys get issued?

2. GreenZone

GreenZone Well-Known Member

i don't actually know why there was an attachment there

any way

basically we need to get a mag and a half through roughly the same hole at around 100 feet the pistol one isn't taken too seriously since its a side weapon and when it comes to combat shooting which is doing funky ninja shit you just need to hit the target

according to my things from basic training what i was trying to upload) my first ever shoot with the AUG was a 23 mil 5 round grouping at 200 meters and a 98mil 35 round grouping at 300 mtr and the very last one is dated 3 months later at 67 mil grouping at 300 meters also 35 rounds

like we really need to be proficient with weapons here

example

particularly at the end you can see how almost robotic it all looks

here's another one with pistols too

Last edited: Sep 9, 2017
    Shane McNair likes this.
  3. Shane McNair

Fuck me, are you telling me that the regular infantry guys get this kind of training?!? This looks like special forces stuff right here. Wow....

4. GreenZone

there's a reason we have very few deaths in wars and train marines before they go to the middle east

all this is part of the benefit of a small military so what happens is that stuff filters down from SASR who go over to UK, US, Israel, etc etc train with their SF bring back new skills and pass those down to regular inf so a lot of the normal doctrine would be i guess Special forces related but this is far from our SF trust me SF does this kind of shit

there's a course i want to get onto that's about hand to hand fighting and the final test is you're put in a room with 5 guys and all you need to do is leave the room no rules about how you do it just leave

i can't actually find any videos about our SF cause our country is secretive as fuck with that shit but there's a documentary about SAS selection (kinda like BUDs) which you can watch here's ep one if you're really that interested

Last edited: Sep 10, 2017
  5. reptile logic

reptile logic An imposter among aliens.

I owned a Browning High Power; bought it gently used from a Marine in the mid-eighties. After firing a couple of boxes of ammo through it, I took it to a smith and had the magazine disconnect disabled. It made a big difference in trigger feel. A little more work, and it worked beautifully. Traded it for two other firearms back in the late-nineties.

Shane McNair likes this.
  6. GreenZone

i don't get you two there's nothing wrong with it... my only gripe and its really just a doctoral thing is that i got small ish hands and everything needs to be done with the master hand so i have a problem releasing the slide with my master hand only and need to use my non master hand

7. Shane McNair

The Hi-Power is a fine design, but the trigger, as is, definitely leaves something to be desired. Believe me, removing the mag disconnect makes a noticeable difference in improving the trigger pull (although I'm sure your ADF issue sidearms still have them installed). I did that with the Argentine FM Hi-Power I had several years ago. Unfortunately, this was kind of a problem gun that was giving me extraction issues every fourth of fifth round. I tried to remedy this by changing out the the extractor and extractor spring, but that didn't really help. So, I ended up trading it.

This thread is kind of making me feel like saving up for another Hi-Power now...lol.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2017
  8. GreenZone

ok i didn't know what the hell you people were talking about

ours don't have a magazine disconnect (the drill is to actually release the mag and let it fall to the ground) and it doesn't have a creeping trigger its got a very firm heavy trigger

maybe the issues depend on the model? we use the MK3 but i'm pretty sure that's the one you used at the range

9. Shane McNair

All models have mag disconnects, as far as I know. I've never heard of a Hi-Power that didn't come with one from the factory. The one I was shooting looks exactly like the one you were holding in that video you posted, so I'd have to say that you're correct about it being a Mk III. It had the high profile sights, extended ambidextrous safety, and straight feed ramp as opposed to the older "humped" feed ramp, all of which are characteristic of the Mk III.

10. GreenZone

well now you have even look back at the combat shooting video you will notice that the magazines are just falling to the ground when i was looking up a disconnect i noticed that our pistols are different to the standard MK3 (example will be shown below) something Australia does is that we do not use imported weapons we buy models under licence and make them locally and fix what we perceive to be faults and give heavier barrels as we don't use standard ammunition we use NATO ammo that's got a heavier grain round and more explosive gun powder this is why the Army does not use the M4 more widely because we never reached an agreement with colt in changing the designs

at any rate we're switching to the HK USP any way currently only SF are using them

our pistols don't have this bit of metal jotting out

Attached Files:

11. Shane McNair

That would be the ejector. I wonder what the Aussie Brownings have instead. Would be interesting to see one of these pistols up close, strip it down, and see what design changes you guys have made.

I can see how you guys would have to do that if you're using the higher pressure NATO ammo. This is one of the drawbacks to the standard design. It was never intended to shoot hot ammo like the NATO stuff. Hi-Powers generally don't handle it very well over the long term. They will eventually end up with cracked slides or the locking lugs on the inside of the slide will break. There have been numerous Hi-Powers in military armories all over the world that have experienced this. I remember reading somewhere that the Israelis had this problem after shooting really hot submachine gun ammo in their pistols.

Do you know if they ever looked at possibly issuing the Canadian C8 carbine as an alternative?

12. GreenZone

i doubt it since it is made by Colt Canada so it would be the same problem and both countries were looking for a new rifle around the same time

we tried designing two from scratch
    The Bushmaster M17 (didn't know that was Australian did you)
    and the T2 MK5

both were not taken up for reasons that not many can find out about i know in the case of the M17 they just generally didn't like it

13. fluffthesergal

fluffthesergal Snuggle Sergal

Target shooter, military enthusiast, firearms enthusiast, but I don't own a gun to my name. I am only 21, broke, Canadian, and license-less. I haven't even a driver's license! I visit the US every year or two though, and I find that many of the gun users there aren't even as hardcore into guns as I am. I guess I am a bonafide gun-nut. I like shooting though, good for my anxiety believe it or not. After a mag or two downrange with as much precision and self-challenge as possible, I feel mellowed and happy.

14. GreenZone

well it is a sport akin to fishing or golf

fluffthesergal likes this.
  15. fluffthesergal

For most people it is a lot like that. However, some people get a huge rush out of it. Then again, some do from fishing and golf! I suppose it depends on the person doing it.

16. Shane McNair

How old do you have to be to own a firearm in Canada? I would have thought that 21 is plenty old enough. Haven't you tried to get a PAL?

17. Ramjet556

Ramjet556 Well-Known Member

18 for either restricted or non-restricted..

fluffthesergal likes this.
  18. fluffthesergal

Yep. However I have a situation in real life that makes it unviable to own a firearm at this point n' time. I am 21 as of this past May, but I still live with my family and am broke as fuck. Also, there are no ranges nearby and I've no car to my name or license to drive one either. YAY! But one day I can get my PAL and all will be chill.

Ramjet556 likes this.
  19. Frijolero

Frijolero New Member

I own a couple
    Chiappa Rhino 60ds - .357 mag
    Beretta 92fs - 9mm
    Intratec DC-9 - 9mm
    Remington 870 express - 12ga

I'll add pictures later

Also, I'm wanting to buy a S&W revolver
    Does anyone have any suggestions on a good model that's chambered in a .44

20. Kellan Meig'h

Kellan Meig'h Kilted Coder

Forget about the S&W - they will shoot loose eventually.

Get a Ruger Redhawk, probably the most robust .44Mag in regular production. I've owned a number of S&W model 29/629 wheelguns and they do not like heavy loads. Eventually the timing gets fooked and you have to make a trip to the Gunmith. I had an 8" barrel 629 actually have to have the barrel set back to fix an excess cylinder/barrel gap. Needless to say, my 29/629s are relegated to light loads at the range.

Frijolero and Ramjet556 like this.
  21. Ramjet556

Can second this!!
    I had a 686 .357 mag and albeit iconic and purty,its nowhere near as robust of a platform as the Ruger for magnum wheelguns...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

22. Frijolero

Frijolero New Member

Thanks for the suggestion
    I always preferred the looks of S&W revolvers but not at the cost of quality

23. GreenZone

you're all wrong colt 45 SSA beats everything

24. Ramjet556

The Colt has an even weaker frame then the S&W...Brand name means nothing..

25. GreenZone

wot? mine was from 1873 and it never had any issues