Firearm Owners In The Fandom?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Jarren, Aug 5, 2016.

1. Kellan Meig'h

Kellan Meig'h Kilted Coder

Having knowledge of metallurgy and joining similar/dissimilar metals, that was a starved braze. A proper copper brazed joint should have a fillet of copper visible around the full perimeter of the join. If done properly, the joint should be close in strength to the metals being joined. Clearly, that join was starved and poorly prepared. Such a shame, too. To re-braze that operating handle to the bolt, it will most likely need machining afterward.

Ramjet556 likes this.
  2. GreenZone

GreenZone Well-Known Member

ur a copper brazing residue

Junkerfox and Ramjet556 like this.
  3. Ramjet556

Ramjet556 Active Member

I'm sure when done right it's never a problem,I never have any luck when gambling with Murphy though...Fucker always wins..

4. Kellan Meig'h

Yeah, I'll agree. Murphy has some serious chops when it comes to firearms. Murph and I had some serious battles when I was building a ROMAK underfolder from a kit. I drilled the barrel to pin it in place, damned pin wouldn't go in. Closer inspection showed the hole was offset by just enough. Mind you, the receiver/barrel never left the drilling vice! That was the point where Murph decided the barrel should never turn in the block. Ever. Many bad words, thrown tools and adult beverages later, the pin was in without redrilling.

Murphy and I are on a first name basis.

that bolt repair should only be undertaken by someone that has done this before multiple times. The handle acts as an additional pseudo locking lug so the clearance in the action dictates where that bolt handle needs to be. Most gunsmiths that do this would use a fixture to hold things while the brazing was being done.

Ramjet556 likes this.
  5. Ramjet556

Ramjet556 Active Member

Yup Murphy's a dick,no good intentioned deed goes unpunished:D

A lot of people have said screw it (literally) and just end up installing set screws through the bolt body..

IMG_0140.JPG

6. Kellan Meig'h

I have had that very same repair done to a Remington 700 in .243 because it had a starved braze. Still have it and it's been hunting several times after the repair.

Ramjet556 likes this.
  7. Ramjet556

Ramjet556 Active Member

Good to hear!
    The bolt is my only gripe with the 700,other then that it's a great rifle with good fundamentals..
    I prefer the bolt throw and smoothness of the 700 over the savage 10.

8. zeroxwolfx

zeroxwolfx New Member

Here's a couple in my old collection.

My PDW-esque AR pistol [​IMG]
    Made with a neato pencil Ballistic Advantage Hanson barrel. This is my go-to home defense weapon (still waiting on a suppressor stamp...) Loaded up with 53gr Hornady V-Max. Honestly, this thing weights a hair under 5lbs (unloaded) and I was expecting it to recoil more, and be unpleasant, but... the difference between this and the lower AR, in terms of recoil are basically negligable, other than the flash (which is considerable) there's almost no difference. I love the look, and feel of this thing! I don't have vast swaths of land I live on or anything... and self defense I'd be doing in or around my house would be within 50 yards, so this is A-okay for my uses. Just need to get that dang supressor for it, and slap a red dot on it.

This just a regular ass lightweight AR, also made with a neato BA handson barrel and a 2.5x ACSS optic. This is... the second AR I've built I think, It's quite light, and very enjoyable to shoot.
    [​IMG]

This is another AR, except this one has a coolio FN CHF barrel and shit! This is the first AR I've ever built, it's a bit heavier that I would have liked, but that being said it's still a dream to shoot.[​IMG]

I sort of like building AR's a lot... it's so easy, cheap, and freaking FUN! With how the market is these days... it's kind of hard to build a bad AR. Not to mention I just like tinkering in general.

This is my old VEPR, that I paid way too much for. Of course, I've converted it to take normal AK mags, and put a normal stock on it, and removed the pin and welded thread protector, and put a normal pistol grip on it. This is a nice gun and everything, but truth be told I don't enjoy it much. It's too heavy, and for where I live, I only have access to an indoor range, so no steel cased ammo... so ammo's kind of expensive for me. Not to mention the recoil isn't too enjoyable.[​IMG]

This is a Ruger SR-1911 Night Watchman Comander, (nitrited finish+trijicon night sights) This is... the second 1911 I've ever had, and for the price I think this one is excellent, it's picky with magazines, but the sights are to die for, and the recoil is just fine. Not my first choice for handguns, but it's pretty, and it's a pleasure to shoot!
    [​IMG]

This is my old Beretta 92FS, plain jane, except for steel parts upgrade, and elite hammer. A great range gun.
    [​IMG]

I like your old War collectible guns. But many of them are either too expensive, or I just wouldn't have a proper place to use them :/

Ramjet556 likes this.
  9. GreenZone

i can't stand this American attitude

"i need an AR-15 cause there's totally going to be 20 ninja's breaking into my home at some point!"

mate a .22 revolver is going to be deterrent enough for them to get out

10. zeroxwolfx

zeroxwolfx New Member

Probably wouldn't need a 30rnd magazine, a 20 round would probably do. That being said, More often than not people break into houses in pairs, or in threes. And as much as I practice, I can't garantee I'd be hitting people, in a stressful situation. Also, if someone's breaking into your house... why NOT have more ammunition? As far as the AR-15 goes. Having an SBR or something like that is much easier to hit targets versus shooting with a pistol. Anyone will tell you, shooting with a handgun is almost an art form in of itself. You only have two points of contact, with a 5 (or less) inch barrel, the slightest bit of movement can make the difference between being an inch off, or two feet away from your point of aim. You have at least four points of contact with that AR, and a 10.5" barrel, and an even longer sight radius, this means I'm much less likely to miss, and if I do, I have more rounds to sacrifice. Also, the faster moving rounds are more likely to break apart in the walls due to velocity (plus the fact that they're polymer tipped) and do damage beyond that.

Ramjet556 likes this.
  11. Ramjet556

Ramjet556 Active Member

Beautiful collection Bud!!!:cool:

@GreenZone You have to live and let live bud...There's more people here other then cucky Australians with smooth bore .22's:D
    We in NA like our bad guys deader then dead:p

Seriously though it's a personal choice we are able to choose here if one so desires an AR15 and weapons like it...That's something your just going to have to accept and get over.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2017
  12. SSJ3Mewtwo

SSJ3Mewtwo Administrator Staff Member

Watch the language. It's fine to make quips, but making insults is not acceptable.

Ramjet556 likes this.
  13. GreenZone

i don't care if they have an AR i have a couple mates with ARs but they self admit they only have it cause its cool the concept of having an AR15 for self defence is paranoid to me
    it's fine i'm not going to cry over it

Ramjet556 likes this.
  14. Ramjet556

Ramjet556 Active Member

I knew you could take it,you know I'm just poking fun:D

Oh I totally get your point,doesn't mean I have to accept it to change my own thoughts on it.

Live and let live:cool:

15. zeroxwolfx

zeroxwolfx New Member

Everyone has there own ideas and that's okay. That being said I certainly don't PLAN to use it in self defense, statistically, where I live, it probably won't happen. That being said, I only live about half a mile from a fire department... I'm still gonna have a fire-extinguisher, and also wear my setbelt :>

16. zeroxwolfx

zeroxwolfx New Member

I would certainly not want to have to use a gun, or ANYTHING to defend myself... I'd much rather I never run into any situation like that.... but if a situation like that is going to run into me, I want all the gun I can handle. Number one rule in combat, always bring air support, if you don't have air support, bring artillery, if you don't have artillery, bring a tank, if you don't have a tank, bring a technical, if you don't have a technical, bring an HMG, if you don't have an HMG, bring grenades, if you don't have grenades, bring your rifles... and your buddies, with their rifles. And if you don't have your rifle... THEN bring your handgun.

I go under the principle of protecting myself with as much force as reasonable. If someone breaks into my house, I don't know if they just want a free TV and don't want to hurt anyone, or if they're on meth and are looking for stuff to sell to get their fix no matter the cost, or if they're just psychotic and don't care if they kill anyone, the only thing I know is that someone has come into my house to do me harm, and as far as I'm concerned, if you're coming in here to do my body harm, you've given up your rights for any protection, and I'm going to throw everything I have at you.

Ramjet556 likes this.
  17. Shane McNair

Shane McNair Adrenaline addicted pursuit pilot

You want the most effective tool for the job. A double barrel shotgun could suffice, but do you really want to stake your life on only two shots? Especially when you don't know how many bad guys there are, how well armed they are, what psychological state they're in, how determined they are, or how well you can make those two shots count under stress? Greater magazine capacity and ability to get shots on target quickly in a life or death confrontation can only be a good thing, and that's what an Ar-15 affords you.

The 7th Cavalry troopers at the Battle of the Little Big Horn found out the hard way how badly limited ammo capacity and slow reload-time hinders your ability to defend yourself against an attacking, numerically superior force. They were armed primarily with single-shot 1873 Springfield trapdoor carbines that were slow to reload. Many of the Indians had repeating rifles. If the 7th Cavalry had been armed with repeating rifles, I believe they would have fared much better. I also believe that if they'd had a few Gatling guns in tow that day, they could have potentially fended off the attack with limited casualties. The same basic principle might apply to a civilian defending him/herself in the home, just on a much smaller scale.

More magazine capacity and a quick-operating action like semi-auto gives you a larger margin for error with regard to shot placement, and better ability to deal with multiple threats quickly and stop them before they can get to you. And it also very often takes multiple shots to stop a bad guy, especially if he's hopped up on drugs.

That said, a pump-action 12 ga. shotgun loaded with #4 buckshot is my preferred home defense tool. But I have also kept an AR ready for that role as well.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2017
  18. Batty Krueger

Batty Krueger DJ Nailbunny

Oh its got one. Also a recoil reduction kit for magnum rounds -.^

19. Yakamaru

Yakamaru Animu Wolf

The only "gun" I've ever really shot with, is a small calibre rifle we used during grade school in 9th and 10th grade, for competitions, shooting at targets. Could shoot someone in the leg and it'd barely do any damage. Was fun, though. Two hours every Thursday. Our teacher always gave the one with the best score an icecream. Sometimes a bag of chips. Soda were always included in the prize. We were 4: Two girls and two guys. Was a LOT of fun. And I didn't have to do fucking French or German.

Quite frankly, I've always wanted to shoot with like a Kalashnikov, an M4 or even a 1911 or a 9mm Glock. Or any other weapon, really.

The Barret M82 looks AWESOME. Feel that recoil in every cell in your body. Gives me shivers down my spine..

Ramjet556 likes this.
  20. zeroxwolfx

zeroxwolfx New Member

True story, a lot of the recoil of the Barrett M82 is about as shooting a magnum slug out of a 12ga because of the short recoil operated system absorbs a lot of the punch, also the gun is around 30lbs. But with that being said... probably not a good gun to start with...

Yakamaru and Junkerfox like this.