First foam head base critique

Discussion in 'Tutorials and Critiques' started by Bluejayfox, Aug 14, 2015.

1. Bluejayfox

Bluejayfox New Member

Hey guys! I just started making my first fursuit head and was wondering if I could get some critiques on some things I should fix and work on before moving on to the next stages.

[​IMG] [​IMG][​IMG]

I'm going for a realistic wolf/werewolf. I'm casting my own resin eyes and using tearduct vision. I also accidentally got 1" foam instead of 1/2" so I had to do a lot more carving out so it wouldn't be too thick.

My head is actually slightly smaller than my styrofoam head so the jaw hangs open when I'm wearing it. I was wondering if it would be better to add some more padding on the inside on the lower jaw so it fits tighter against my face or to use elastic instead?

2. Hutch

Hutch Keep Smiling :)

The things that I see are the muzzle is very thick for a wolf. I would cut a lot more off where the sides of the muzzle meets the eyes.
    Also speaking if eyes. You said you are going to use tear duct vision, but your head as of now doesn't have any tear ducts.
    You will also want to add some cheeks and a brow piece to give him some expression.
    As for the inside. It's hard to say what would work without seeing how the how is actually hinged. Are you able to take a picture of the inside and possibly of you wearing it? If the problem is that it hangs open them you will want to as elastic in order to pull it back up into place.
    :) hope that helps :)

3. Bluejayfox

Bluejayfox New Member

Thanks so much for the feedback! Here's an update:

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

I shaved the muzzle down a bit like you said but I think I'm gonna keep it how it is now even if it's not realistically proportional for a wolf. Kinda reminds me more of a German Shepard! I also added ears and made a clay jawset (it's just sitting in there it's not attached yet). I also put some elastic on the inside to keep the jaw shut but it doesn't shut all the way when I'm wearing it, especially with the weight of the jawset, so I think I'm going to add more elastic on the outside of the muzzle.

About the tear duct part, I actually have no idea how to put the eyes in so i didn't really know what kind of shape the eye holes needed to be and just kinda did it. I'm guessing I need to build it back up a little bit to make the holes smaller. Do you have any tutorials/explanations on putting resin eyes in a foam base?

4. ExperiMUNt

ExperiMUNt The Creationist of Monsters

Whoa man before you do anything else those ears should really be fixed. In all honesty I highly recommend you just go with a toony-head, as realistic heads don't have those giant eye-sockets. The symmetry seems very off on the right side, as you can see it is very far sloped down from the left. I recommenced you heighten the right eye just a little bit more to it matches the other side.

Honestly, if you were trying for a realistic head I really recommend you scrap the hole thing and start over. If you want to make a realistic head, you need to look at actual wolf references to understand the anatomy, then, look at realistic fursuit head resin blanks to gain an understanding of how tear-duct vision works.

Right now at this point your head looks very toon-like. Things you need to fix is the eye symmetry and to make larger and more carved ears.

5. Hutch

Hutch Keep Smiling :)

This is a HORRIBLE example, because i can't draw but, it will give you an idea of how the tear ducts work. The orange is where you need to carve out because that's where you will see from. I hope it makes sense lol.
    http://i58.tinypic.com/2pt8neg.jpg