First Fullsuit WIP

Discussion in 'Tutorials and Critiques' started by Bodie_Z, Jul 7, 2015.

1. Bodie_Z

Bodie_Z Member

Hey Guys!

I started working on my first fullsuit! I dont have much done yet, but I wanted to start this thread and just update it as I go. Im trying to build a fursuit of my fursona, Kaizen Coyote!

So far, I have made the template for the body suit and sewn the front sides of the sleeves. The templet started with a McCalls pattern which I tailored to fit me a bit better. I only have a photo of the template before I tailored it :/ I also started working on the head, but all I have so far is the base and the ears. I also Included a sketch of Kaizen in the album.

I know theres not much to critique right now, but as I update more, please feel free to include any comments or advice you have! :D

http://imgur.com/a/9SXxG

2. Birdkisses

Birdkisses Member

OH I was going to say, the template looks a little big on you..but you've tailored it since then. Keep up the hard work!

3. Bodie_Z

Bodie_Z Member

I was able to work on it a bit tonight. I finished the front half of the body suit! I couldnt get it to lay completely flat because I was in a cramped room so some of the seems look like they arent lined up right, but they are! I promise :p I also still havent brushed out the seems so some of the fur is still caught. Im pretty happy with how the pattern turned out though. Looking at it, ill probably have to make the legs a little thinner, but hopefully that wont be too much of a problem.

http://imgur.com/RfZSQlY

Let me know what you think!

4. Birdkisses

Birdkisses Member

Look at that! Coming along nicely!

5. Bodie_Z

Bodie_Z Member

Finished the body suit tonight! The top of the chest seems a bit low to me and ill definitely have to hem the bottom of the legs, but overall im pretty happy with how it turned out! I still need to buy a brush so thats why its so choppy right now. I kinda want to do some dry brushing to add a bit more character to it. Any tips on that?

http://imgur.com/gsvYSXH

Next step is the tail! Whats the best way to do a tail for a body suit? I have space to attach it directly, but would it be better to do a separate system with a belt or something?

Comments and critiques are always appreciated! :D

6. Birdkisses

Birdkisses Member

depends on the tail and if u want to be able to use the same tail to partial. fox tails seem ok to be detachable with a small hole in the suit.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=creQJUEaduI
    Se how she puts on her tail at :30 c;

7. Misomie

Misomie Lazy Artist

For your tail, it's really up to you. Detachable tails can be cleaned separately and be used for partials as well. The tails that I think are better to be perma attatched are the thick ones and super small ones.

8. Bodie_Z

Bodie_Z Member

Alrighty! Progress is slow, but im doing what I can with the free time i have :p Tonight I tried some dry brushing. After some practice on scraps, i decided to try it on the suit. I'm liking how its progressing, but i think i need to add more paint. im happy with how it looks when it lays flat, but if it bunches up at all, it creates dark stripes. You can see that more in the second pic.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Thoughts?

Last edited: Jul 15, 2015
  9. CoreFur

CoreFur Beginner fursuit maker

That is some amazing work so far! I think the dark stripes actually give it some attitude. Like an actual wolf pelt does the same thing.

10. Birdkisses

Birdkisses Member

Looking good!
    The dark stripes are just what happens if you're just painting the tip of the fur. Visually its fine with me! But if thats not the look you were going for then sewing in actual black fur would be best. It would give you a solid look.

11. Hutch

Hutch Keep Smiling :)

I like the painted look over sewing in black fur on this guy :)
    one suggestion I have is that you would want to sew on some bias tape or something like that to the neck hole. It will make it so your fur doesn't end up stretching and sagging a bit after it gets some wear.
    :)
    looks great!!

12. Bodie_Z

Bodie_Z Member

Thanks for the compliments and feedback everyone! :D I haven't been able to work on it in awhile, but I hope to have the tail done by the end of the week :)

Thanks for the suggestion! :) What is bias tape and where can i get it? Will I be able to sew it on the suit as it is or will I need to undo some of the stitches?

13. Nyro46

Nyro46 DA HOP SCOTCHAâ„¢

Whoa, the suit looks really good so far!!

14. Birdkisses

Birdkisses Member

15. Birdkisses

Birdkisses Member

16. Hutch

Hutch Keep Smiling :)

This isn't how you sew double fold bias tape. This is the lazy way lol.
    i would recommend using double fold though. You find it at the craft store usually by the zippers.
    But to sew it properly you need to unfold it and place it along the outside edge of your neck. Then sew it right next to the fold line. Then flip the whole thing to the inside and sew it again at the edge of the bias tape.
    You won't have to undo anything you've done already. Just look up sewing double fold bias tape on you tube.
    Also if you plan on making feet or hand paws, It's a great way to finish off the top edge :)

17. Bodie_Z

Bodie_Z Member

Update time!

I've been working on the tail. I just finished stuffing and drybrushing the stripes on. I think I might make the stripes a little bit thicker on the sides. What do you guys think?

[​IMG]

Sorry for the dirty room :V

Last edited: Jul 24, 2015
  18. Birdkisses

Birdkisses Member

Tail looks great!
    Yeah I would try to keep a consistent width on your black line throughout your suit :3

19. Bodie_Z

Bodie_Z Member

I took your advice, Birdkisses, and made the tail stripes a bit wider. I also added stripes to the torso of the body suit and made some hand paws tonight!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

As I look at the body suit more, I'm starting to think I need to tailor it a bit more, but ill probably end up doing that after I finish everything else. Feet paws are next!

Let me know what you guys think :)

20. Misomie

Misomie Lazy Artist

I think it looks great. The bagginess of the suit does make the tail look a tad silly but you said you'll work on that.

I really enjoy seeing your progress because you just look/sound so happy/excited on what you've already done. Keep up the good work.