First time foam head prep & updates

Discussion in 'Fursuiting & Costuming' started by BasilClover, Jun 19, 2017.

1. BasilClover

BasilClover Character Collector

What is the difference between her all foam and balaclava? why is all foam better? Matrices has the best tutorials but are there any other besides the stickies? fursuit.livejournal.com: A terribly long post about construction This is one is very helpful to me.

Shopping list:

1/2" upholstery foam 1 yrd
    wig base (have)
    glue gun sticks
    electric knife (have)
    polymer clay for teeth
    fleece nose (have)

Inspo:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. BasilClover

[​IMG] [​IMG] Not sculpted yet, eyes are for vision when trying on, the eyebrows will go over them. Need feedback as I take a break for the day after burning my thumb haha.

3. BasilClover

4. MsRavage

MsRavage Hello!

looking really cool so far!! that's so exciting :D

5. BasilClover

'really cool' or true fear to me [​IMG] Looks a bit big caty [​IMG]

6. Liam The Red

Liam The Red "Dad" Fox

I just think it's great that you're diving in and doing something you want to do. It looks ok so far, but even if it turns out poorly, keep trying. Practice is how you get good at something.

7. BasilClover

Thanks, Dad! Liam! That's a very nice sentiment :0

Beatle9 and Liam The Red like this.
  8. MsRavage

MsRavage Hello!

i had no idea it was made with foam...i honestly thought they were made with like plastic and what not

9. LoEM_1942

LoEM_1942 Curse of The FenceHat™

Looking good so far. Keep it up! Always interesting to see progress picts. :p

Some are straight foam, others are foam over attached to a spandex sleeve (balaclava), some are a resin base with the rest built on, some are metallic and foam, some plastic (usually 3d printed)...really it varies with however the creator wants to go about it and what they want out of it. Each method has its ups and downs.

MsRavage and Liam The Red like this.
  10. BasilClover

[​IMG]

Here is the redline I'm planning, any tips on how to make it more catlike? and is it a good Idea to cut the jaw like that?

11. MsRavage

MsRavage Hello!

im not professional at all but i've seen some fur suits and what not. make sure the nose doesn't protrude out too much or it may end up looking like a dog...

12. BasilClover

Here are my first two attempts at an ear, patterned in paper with slits cut for imitating the foam bends. Needs to be smaller, rounder/wider, and higher up on the head. @MsRavage I think I need to build it up more as I was really worried about that!

13. LoEM_1942

LoEM_1942 Curse of The FenceHat™

It's hard for me to tell because I'm far from the best critic, but I agree that the muzzle needs raised and tweaked a bit. The ears are looking pretty good so far.

14. MsRavage

MsRavage Hello!

keep keeping us posted i really enjoy learning about this

15. BasilClover