From Hearing to Being A Furry

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Catolo, Nov 5, 2017.

1. Catolo

Catolo The local coffee addict

What did you guys think about the furry community when you first heard it? Now compare that to today! What was the biggest difference?

For me, I was left with more questions when I first heard of them. I thought why would anyone want to be a animal just because? (FYI I was 13 when I first heard of furries so I was the usual edgy kid) It was a stupid sounding idea and if anything weird. 5 years later I simply don't question it but acceot why I'm part of it.

The biggest difference for me was that i'd always steer clear of furries in any situation possible. Now I just talk to them as I can, despite suffering shyness to speak first. =3=

I'm pretty sure there's more to it but this is all I can remember! How about you?

2. -..Legacy..-

-..Legacy..- Sergal Mafia :P

A personality is a personality, to me.

There's the public's odd (and sometimes negative) view, but just like everything else, it has its' own extremes of perception.

Yakamaru and Ginza like this.
  3. Rimna

Rimna Far from the madding crowd

I thought it was the greatest thing ever but I was too shy to join.

4. Yakamaru

Yakamaru I stubbed my log on a car!

When I first heard of the Furry fandom back in 2006 I didn't give a shit.

Compared to then and now is that I've had the misfortune of interacting with some of these degenerates.

5. Crimcyan

Crimcyan Another fucking wolf

I first heard in 2009 from the show 1000 ways to die on a clip of fursuit sex... I thought furries where the worst until my friend became one last year, now im here.

6. Catolo

Catolo The local coffee addict

I remember that show so much! It was stupid fun to watch! xD

7. SveltColt

SveltColt Well-Known Member

I never thought I would join this fandom because Back then I thought they are the grossest things in the world.
    Now me being mature enough to understand things with an @Open_Mind. (Sorry for pinging you dude I wanted to use your name as a joke.)
    I was just looking through the internet finding youtube videos and Found rant videos saying all these stupid insults
    telling us that we are so cringy that even tho the videos that they make is like unscripted and very cringy.

But after watching that video I thought to my self. Whats so bad about these people who love anthropomorphic animals?
    So I created a FAF Account and said hi..

8. Sarachaga

Sarachaga You gain Brouzouf

Never actually seen furries before I joined so I thought it was some sort of mascot fandom.

Turns out it's not really that xp

P_Dragon, Open_Mind, Yakamaru and 3 others like this.
  9. SveltColt

You know what that's pretty funny.

Sarachaga likes this.
  10. closetcutie

closetcutie sea doggo

I didn't exactly "know" what a furry was, but I remember seeing a how-to-draw book of them and a pic of them in a Guinness world record's book when I was a little kid and thought it was the coolest thing ever! I started drawing them all the time not even really knowing what they were, and it wasn't until I was a little older that I understood what "furry" meant and realized basically everyone hated them lol. I decided to abort ship before it was too late... but I guess I didn't jump fast enough cause here I am now years later finally giving up and letting myself enjoy what I like. It definitely helps that I was dumped by my girlfriend cause she would've skiNNED ME ALIVE if she knew I was a furry lmao

SveltColt likes this.
  11. Open_Mind

Open_Mind Well-Known Member

Their loss! This is the most welcoming, accepting and friendly group of people I've ever had the pleasure of knowing. You'll never look back. :p:p

Sarachaga likes this.
  12. SveltColt

good riddance

13. closetcutie

closetcutie sea doggo

Haha yeah... that was 5 months of my life I'm never getting back lol. I don't mind though, there's plenty of cute girl furs out there for me to find ^W^

Open_Mind likes this.
  14. Yakamaru

Just try and find yourself a mentally stable one. :p

closetcutie likes this.
  15. closetcutie

closetcutie sea doggo

Are any of us mentally stable here? XD

Yakamaru likes this.
  16. SveltColt

I guess.

17. Yakamaru

Would depend on what parameters you use. :D

18. Lunar Man

Lunar Man Cosmic Uncertainty

When I first heard of furries I didn't care. 11 years later and I still don't care... and yet, here I am.

I'm so mentally stable that I make all normal people look unstable. Hardy-har-har.

Yakamaru likes this.
  19. P_Dragon

P_Dragon Active Member

Serious answer: I came across the whole furry/anthro thing probably 10-12 years ago and have enjoyed the artwork online ever since, though admittedly I did think the fursuit part was quite a bit, extremely, colossally weird at first (Biggest difference here: That's not the case anymore. Fursuits are sweet.). Over the past 10 years or however many, though, getting into it further wasn't something I was ever able to really come out of my shell enough to do even though my interest has grown. I kind of wish I had've at least joined the forum sooner, but it is what it is.
    Truth be told, it was maybe only in the past week or two that I decided that the whole fur fandom thing was something I liked enough to be worth pursuing. I'm can't say I'm a true furry ([at least what my perception of one is] yet) and I'm hardly a forum member considering I joined a whole two days ago, but I know that this is something I'd like to get more involved in because you people are awesome.

Catolo and Open_Mind like this.
  20. Jerryphan

Jerryphan New Member

I agree with your opinion that catolo

21. silveredgreen

silveredgreen Determined Dragon

I didn't even know what a furry was for the longest time, but then i found out and kinda let myself be influenced by antis a bit. Ended up becoming one with great wariness but now i honestly don't care. I like what i like.

22. Kezi Avdiivka

Kezi Avdiivka Active Member

Personally I was like

I'm a caaaaat suck my D---

I'm a caaaaaat suck my d---

OH SHIT IT'S NASA

OH wait there a community of cats that like being cats

yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

23. Stadt

Stadt Eeriee the Wendigo

My original perspective was pretty negative. I learned about furries from my friends and they had a very negative outlook on them. I trolled the fandom a bit, but then saw that it was nothing like I was told. Realized I was a furry. Here I am.

24. GigaBit

GigaBit A hyperactive computer lovin' nerd.

When I first heard about them, they were being described in a negative manner. So, for the longest time I thought it was all some sort of weird sex cult. Then I kinda forgot about them.
    2016 hits and I start seeing memes of them. It got me intrigued. So, I looked into the community.

My reation
    Furries? I thought that was some sort of sex cu... hm... They're actually pretty nice. So is the art. Guess I'm one of them now.

I was too shy to join in on anything for a while, though.

25. I really did not care when I first heard about the community. However, over the past few years, when I started learning more about what the community was, it won me over.