Fursona change guilt

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Belatucadros, Nov 14, 2017 at 11:44 PM.

1. Belatucadros

Belatucadros The forum birb!

Have you guys ever experienced this? I've got a second fursona in the works and I might end up using it as my main. The problem is that I've used my first fursona since the very beginning, and I feel very attached to him. I just feel so guilty about this for some reason! I don't know if I could even get myself to change my profile picture; I've represented myself with this current one forever.

Amiir, Foenixblood, Sgt. Kai and 2 others like this.
  2. Fuzzylumkin

Fuzzylumkin Fuzzbutt

im definitely experiencing that... I was a panda for years, and have recently decided to go back to the panda, because, while I wanted to create something new in my lion, it just doesn't fit me. The lion is merely an OC, while my panda is definitely who I am

Sgt. Kai, Yakamaru and Belatucadros like this.
  3. Jay98

Jay98 The violent man-eater

John:
    my previous fursonas where somewhat forcefully given to me by fans. i personally used a human persona but i had to use the one's they'd created whenever i was in a conversation with them. i spent about three years researching every mythological creature, robots, aliens, etc, basically every single persona imaginable until i eventually came to the conclusion that goats were perfect. for what i was looking for goat's were ideal. i never wanted to be a goat especially after goat simulator and undertale became popular. I like those games but for me that's been and gone and so i desperately tried to avoid it but after extensive research it narrowed right down to goats. to me that's fate and if it's ordained for me to be that then i accept it wholeheartedly. for me there is no other persona and there never will be. i have made my decision and no matter how much flack i get for it i will not change. and trust me i've had everything from goats are meant to be sacrificed / eaten to i'm the kid from the omen / the devil reborn. people think i've changed my persona but those personas were never me. I don't make quick decisions but the decisions i make are so true they last. i did use those other personas for years though and there's a certain nostalgia to them. i don't feel guilt for changing because i can always cameo them as separate characters from time to time. i get a lot of people asking what happened to my old personas but they show up on holidays when all my main characters meet up so people are like "oh they're still around". people keep demanding i make works with my old personas in but i think unless there's a specific situation that requires their talents i wont budge for anyone. THIS is me. I chose it, i tempered it over years of research and months of character design. I'm so comfortable with it i can't imagine change. Finally i have a true alternative identity. I think those that worry about their persona changes never really took the time to find the perfect one. you can't have confidence in yourself unless you have a decision you know is right and you can trust. otherwise your just picking things because of long term mood and because it looks cool.

Dongding and Belatucadros like this.
  4. Belatucadros

You might be right with this, and I question whether I actually put enough thought into my character. I remember very clearly choosing a random gryphon base because I thought it would look cool, and stand out from the rest. I slapped some colors on, and for some reason it stuck and I called it my fursona. I didn't even bother giving him a name or backstory. Even so, I still feel very close to him.

5. Fuzzylumkin

Fuzzylumkin Fuzzbutt

My fursona started as my world of warcraft character, but I have been him so long, we just kind of became one

Belatucadros likes this.
  6. Dongding

Dongding The sheep

Change man; you'll like it!

7. Yakamaru

Yakamaru I stubbed my log on a car!

Why not use both? I mean, both have a sentimental and emotional value to you. It's not like you'll lose your griffin if you move to one that you feel more connected to.

Lets look at it this way: The two fursonas can represent different aspects of your personality in various forms. I also mentioned some time ago to flesh out the character before you try and attach a species to it. Take the time you need, man. You've got time to truly find out who and what you are, and what represent you.

8. Rakiya

Rakiya New Member

I'm not sure if I feel guilty or not...
    But I will admit that my first fursona (a wolf) is constantly niggling at the back of my mind when I see topics like this.

I'll also admit that Jay98's comment on not taking the time rings true for me as well.
    Initially when I was starting out I liked the idea of being a wolf, and I coincidentally came across a concept/artwork that highly appealed to me.
    Plus, to this day I still think knots are hot,,,
    It didn't take long for me to start feeling as if something was a bit off. And after thinking things over the associated traits of the wolf just didn't fit me as I realized I was a lot more catty than I initially thought possible.

I spent roughly a year being a wolf, but even then I still feel somewhat of a connection to him.
    To me it's a bit like looking at a picture of myself when I was a kid, and thinking that I had no idea what I wanted back then... but it was still me.

I don't think it's necessary to feel guilty. Worst case scenario you can always go back. (Just don't flip flop too often).
    I've personally felt it helps to merge a bit of the concepts together though. For example my current fursona has the same stripe pattern as my wolf did.

Belatucadros likes this.
  9. It'sBlitz

It'sBlitz Pilot in training

Out of interest, what is your new fursona?

10. Rakiya

Rakiya New Member

I think it has a lot to do with having a main fursona.
    I've got a few caricatures that represent certain traits about myself that my main fursona can't.
    But put simply, there's only room for one name, and one avatar in situations like this (forum).
    If people are into the whole fursuiting or commissioning art thing, then their finances might not be able to adequately support two representations.
    And frankly it just flows nicer to say "I'm a wolf" than "I'm a wolf, who's also a cat, a bit of bird, and every now and then I pick up being a block of cheddar."

Belatucadros and Yakamaru like this.
  11. Dongding

Dongding The sheep

Agreed.

Edit:
    !!

12. Belatucadros

I sense that you're worried about losing a fellow bird... :D

This new fursona is very early in development, and I'm taking my time with it. I pretty much know what he's based around, but I'm not quite set on the species. It's between a sergal, dragon, and another bird.

13. Jay98

Jay98 The violent man-eater

Exactly. I still feel for my characters but it's more like relatives than representations of myself.

14. -..Legacy..-

-..Legacy..- Sergal Mafia :P

No it isn't. You just needed other species in there, to make it look like you could choose something other than a Sergal :)

Belatucadros likes this.
  15. It'sBlitz

I'm willing to assume it will be along the lines of primarily a Sergal dragon hybrid with feathered wings?

Belatucadros likes this.
  16. Crimcyan

Crimcyan Another fucking wolf

You could always use both, im changing between 2 all the time.

Belatucadros likes this.
  17. Foenixblood

Foenixblood 75% gryphon, 25% phoenix, 100% fun

I agree with this, you can have another fursona without losing your gryphon sona.

This may sound corny, but follow what your heart tells you and you'll know what to do.

Belatucadros likes this.
  18. connortheskunk

connortheskunk definitely did not look at yiff last night.

Tbh, birds are the coolest damn things ever. If I had to turn into an anthro for the rest of my life I'd probably choose my fursona. But if it had to be feral, I would definitely go with a red-tailed hawk or a peregrine falcon. Flying would be so cool!

Amiir and Belatucadros like this.
  19. Fuzzylumkin

Fuzzylumkin Fuzzbutt

i definitely need to get a couple of pics of my panda sona put together so i can change back

20. Belatucadros

What do you mean? :D
    Hah I probably should've worded that differently. Not making a hybrid; those are the three species that I'm choosing between. Leaning more towards another bird, but sergal or dragon are close behind.
    I could, but I honestly don't want to have multiple fursonas. I'd much rather just have one that describes me as a whole, instead of breaking myself up into several different characters.

Foenixblood, Yakamaru and It'sBlitz like this.
  21. It'sBlitz

Psssst
    Hawks are best

Belatucadros likes this.
  22. Amiir

Amiir Deez nutz. Hah. Got 'eem

I feel you. Personally I would simply see changing a fursona's appearance merely as a transformation instead of using a whole other character. Like a shapeshifting thing, don't know if it makes any sense

Belatucadros likes this.
  23. Mikazuki Marazhu

Mikazuki Marazhu Hawaiian Pizza!

Anduin Lothar?

24. dogryme6

dogryme6 Destructive Faffer

Well, I mean, my other character's not a fursona, but Agryss has gone through a few changes I just don't feel that sure about anymore...

But meanwhile, in some crazy, far off parallel universe where the sun is always shining, the air smells like warm rootbeer, and the towels are oh so fluffy! Where the shriners and the lepers play their ukeleles all day long and anyone off the street will gladly shave your back for a nickel, wacka wacka doo doo yeah!
    There's probably a pair of familiar looking fursonas being big cute fluffballs, holding eachother's hands and kissing eachother. Dogryme and Runa...
    But they're Werehogs.
    The author, paranoid and afraid of copyright airstrikes hammering down on him for his choices, fled that universe using a portal gun that could take him to other dimensions. He had searched for a different realm that contained his own fursonas in a species he desired, which came to be fluffdragons, and he would reside as being the author of that universe for the rest of his days...
    Just don't tell the galactic federation.