Fursuit Maintinence Suggestions

Discussion in 'Fursuiting and Costuming' started by Shino, Aug 11, 2009.

1. mrs.ferdo

mrs.ferdo Member

What is the best way to maintain the inside of a balaclava based head?

2. KarabinerCoyote

KarabinerCoyote Steely-Eyed Rocket Guy

After an outing, I lightly spray it with disinfectant, then place the head piece over both towers of a boot dryer for at least an hour. I picked up a cheap boot dryer from Menards for under $10 that runs on D batteries or AC with adapter included.

3. Deo

Deo The hatred of FAF personified

SCRAPEGOAT! I missed your panel at Anime Iowa! :C

4. Tsun

Tsun Member

Hey guys, anything i should know about washing foam?
    Ignore all the problems with fur/glue/paint/anything else.

But how does foam handle washing? can i put it in the washing machine? If so then what temperatures can it take?
    Will it flatten if i wash it many times?

5. Penumbra Noct

Penumbra Noct New Member

Logically it would be dry cleaning that affords the best cleaning and least amount of damage to a suit. I have no idea the price or even if all dry cleaners will take something like a full suit. The headpiece seems problematic, however if they were able to dry clean a fursuit I'm sure it would be the most effective in both ways. Anyone willing to bring a full suit down to the dry cleaners and ask..? I'd be curious to find out.

6. Chesh

Chesh New Member

I have a pair of foot paws I bought off of furbuy a while back, second hand technically (only worn once and arrived in mint condition). The outdoor soles are now starting to come loose. What do most suiters use to adhere the soles to the paws?

7. Birdeh

Birdeh Member

What's a good way to keep white fur white? I'm planning on making a full-white bodysuit with coloured accents... but I don't want it to get dingey yellow (my parents smoke).

8. Flarveon

Flarveon Member

Question: I have a fullsuit, with unattached hands/feet, but the tail (a red panda x raccoon tail) is completely attached to the body. How would I go about washing this?

For more detail, the front chest floof is longpile MM black fox fur (female fluff kinda thing), rest is short pile cubby fur, and the tail is tightly stuffed and made of MM black and white fox fur.

I'm not entirely sure how to go about washing this :/ I mean the tail does not REALLY bend unless I willingly make it and hold it like that. Also, in Australia we don't have woolite, any other washing products I could use?

Edit: Picture to help explain: http://www.furaffinity.net/view/5598332/ and http://www.furaffinity.net/view/5609383/
    You can see the chest floof and the attached tail.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2011
  9. widdlyscuds

widdlyscuds New Member

I have a question!
    I recently bought a partial from another person off of FA. This is my first fursuit, so even though I've read up on how to clean them, I'm afraid to mess up (especially the head!). So, what I was thinking- Could I take a washcloth (soaked in Woolite then squeezed to get the rest out of it), LIGHTLY hand wash the head with that, then get another washcloth (soaked in cold water), do the same thing, then dry it?

10. Ozriel

Ozriel Inglorious Bastard

There's a teddy bear cleaner out there called Siege, and it is gentle to use on most fursuit heads.
    You can also use some spot treatment on it to get rid of some dirt stains.
    What I do for getting grime and oils out of my head is a mid of Alcohol, water and amonia on a cloth and gently get the inside. It gets rid of oil and bacteria.

I would avoid hand-washing fursuit heads.

11. widdlyscuds

widdlyscuds New Member

Awesome! Thanks. I did pick up a teddy bear cleaner the other day and used it and it got all the stains out, but it left a slightly weird residue. o_o; Is that normal, or..?

12. Ozriel

Ozriel Inglorious Bastard

Did you spray it on, or put it on a cloth and dabbed at it?

13. Origamigryphon

Origamigryphon Origami Extraordinaire

I hope it's not too late to respond here, as this thread hasn't gotten a lot of replies recently.

My Gshep bodysuit has an attached tail; when you look inside, can you see the opening for the tail? If you can, you can simply turn it inside out halfway and dig out all of the stuffing by hand. Once it's all out, you can completely turn the bodysuit and the tail inside out and throw it in the tub :3 That's what I do.

Another thing I wanted to mention (even though it's been said several times) is to PLEASE brush your suit! Before you suit, after you suit, after you clean it and it is dry; at every opportunity I am brushing my suit out. But unfortunately I still see people with matted, mangy looking suits running around (Room 366 anyone?).

Granted I know that while running around your suit will get a little matted, especially if you sweat a lot, but I've seen way too many who don't even give their suits the time of day.

14. Hey there huys and girls I have a problem. I bought a partial.. I have only tail and paws.. The thing is I just try it out for first time. It fits me well and all. The problem is that when I looked carefully I could see stitches poping like crazy all over the places. On my paws there are like three holes and on my tail one. I can fix that.. But any suggestion If it would be o.k and poping after when I sew it two times just for caution meassure?

15. Lejonet731

Lejonet731 New Member

[h=3]During Use[/h]
    • Be very careful when putting on your suit. These are not clothing and should not be treated as such. Carefully pull the suit over your body. Do not force anything in. The backing of the material is fragile. When zipping up, go slowly being sure to not catch anything in the zipper. It is always easier to have a second person to help you in and out.
    • We recommend wearing Under Armor® or some form of spandex under your suit. This allows for the best movement and helps greatly on keeping you cool.
    • Be extra careful when handling the head. Do not hang on by the ears or nose.
    [h=3]After Use[/h]
    • Fur brush - We recommend using this before and after each time you perform. This keeps the fibers in the best shape.
    • Turn your suit inside out and spray thoroughly with disinfectant spray.
    • Always hang your body until it dries, then it can be folded or stored away.
    • Spray down the rest of the suit as well. You can turn paws inside out to help them dry.
    [h=3]Washing[/h]
    • Bodies with minimal airbrushing are machine washable. Make sure you use cold water and a delicate cycle.
    • Use fabric softener, but never use bleach.
    • Do NOT put anything into a dryer! This will melt the fibers and destroy your costume! Always air dry and brush out any fur periodically until it's dry.
    • Paws and tail can be hand washed with cold water and laundry detergent.
    • Be very careful with any airbrushed spots.
    • Do NOT ever use a blow dryer. This can burn and melt fibers on your suit very easily. Always air dry.
    • Always be careful when cleaning any part of your costume, especially the head. It is the most fragile piece. Wash with a cold cloth. Do not submerge completely in water.
    [h=3]Storage[/h]
    • Never store the suit unless it is completely dry and sprayed with disinfectant.
    • Always try to hang the suit right side out on a hanger. It can also be stored neatly folded.
    • Make sure there is ample room for the head. Never store anything on top of any part of your suit.
    • If you are short on space, suits can be stored in a large tote. These are easy to find and very cheap. They work great for quick transporting too!
    [h=3]Traveling[/h]
    • When traveling by car, use a hard plastic tote to store your suit. Fold everything nicely and don't overstuff inside the tote. Make sure the head is on top and has room around it. Never place anything on top of the tote!
    • Don't forget your disinfectant spray!
    • Traveling by plane is tricky. If you can, mail your suit to a friend or to your hotel. Otherwise find a large enough hard travel suitcase. Type up directions on how to fit the suit back into your suitcase for when it's inspected and taken out by the airline. Also putting a photo of what's in your suitcase may help you. Suits probably look weird going through the airline's X-ray machine.
    • Do not rely on taping your suit if you're on an airplane. Most airlines will inspect taped packages. Make sure you use a suitcase with a manual lock or something that clips closed.

**This is not my care guide. I found it online but I believe it's VERY helpful.

16. Inashne117

Inashne117 Member

I recommend a Rubber Maid action packer. It's large enough for almost every head, except maybe those with abnormally large ears. They're also just inside the size range for Southwest airlines to check them for free at 61".

17. KarabinerCoyote

KarabinerCoyote Steely-Eyed Rocket Guy

For fursuit storage/transport I used a large fiberpak drum with a greif-lok ring which accepted a luggage lock to secure it. Now I use a Plano footlocker with rollers, bought from Dunham's with 20% off coupon. Lockable and easy to move about.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2012
  18. Tikaani

Tikaani New Member

Ok, I really need help. My cat decided it was a good idea to throw up on my armsleeves last night. How can I clean them?

19. xXSlaughteredXx

xXSlaughteredXx Bone Sorter

Shino. Is the wolf in your profile picture inspired by Wolf's Rain even a little bit? even "Blue" reminds me of one of the characters in there ;P

20. LordMoonBiscuit

LordMoonBiscuit The harbinger of donuts

extremely late comment is late :p

For my partial, I use Lysol. After suiting I set my head out, and spray the inside of the head with Lysol. When spraying your head, make sure you spray the front area where it touches your face, the top, and the bottom of the back; these are all in almost constant contact with the most sweaty parts of your head! The fur on my head is really short (it's like cuddle fur or something), so i don't have to brush often, and really only brush it to keep the head looking nice. the maker of my partial didn't put a liner in it, so i always Lysol it twice to make sure it's clean. After spraying, i leave my head on a chair or something under my fan with the mouth open wide to allow air flow to dry it.

For paws, I also use Lysol. Generally, paws see more use than heads, and they get worn out more easily. I dance with my paws, so the fur on them is really old and worn. I've had to patch them up a few times, and one of them is getting another small hole. After i wear my paws, i flip them inside out and use a (clean) lice comb to get rid of what i call "Glove Fuzz" (it's essentially pilled up fur inside the paws). Then i spray them with Lysol and leave them out to dry. Every once and a while, i throw my paws in the washer so they can be cleaned a little more thoroughly. for the tail, i just brush it. Lice combs work wonders for styling and brushing fur, especially longer fur accents!