Fursuiting for Broke Noobs

Discussion in 'Fursuiting & Costuming' started by FluffyShutterbug, Apr 10, 2017.

1. FluffyShutterbug

FluffyShutterbug A Vulpine Photographer

I have a really strong desire to cosplay as my OC, Jamie Foxworthy someday. But, from what I've heard, it costs a ton of money to make a fursuit, and even more to get one made. Not a promising thing for a broke college girl to hear. I'm probably going to have to save up money... So, does anyone either A, have a ballpark estimate for the amount I'd have to save or B, know how to make a fursuit thriftily? I'd greatly appreciate some advice from veteran members of the fandom. :)

2. I can't really help with buying fursuits, but I can give some insite into making one.

Making one typically costs anywhere from 300-500. It mostly depends on the fur. If you have a fursuit thats one color, its gonna be ridiculously cheaper then one that is five different colors. Uncommon fur colors (like a neon orange fur I got) also tend to be more expensive because they are harder to get someplace else.

But yeah, Id say go for 500 just to be safe. That'll virtually guarentee youll have enough money; unless your making a sparkledog. ;)

msgrandpabacon likes this.
  3. KeitoTheMidnightFox

KeitoTheMidnightFox Keito of the night

My partial (My display pic) consists of head, tail, hand paws and feet. And with shipping for the whole commission from the artist comes too $1300.00
    But as dawn said. Depends on the attention to detail of the character. Mine consists of black and purple.

I dont know too much on making one yourself. But dawn still does have good insight there.

If your looking into a full fursuit. Depending on detail again/colors/type it can range depending on artists. Some may charge up to 1.5k+ 2k+ 3k+
    But it just depends on the artist, detail, digigrade (I think its called), time to make/labor

But you might strike lucky and find someone who will do it a lot less and really well made! :)

If your looking into commissioning I can recommend the artist who did mine;

www.etsy.com: Jewelry, hats and costumes by MariasCreativeCorner

Hope some of the info helped. :)

4. Kezi Avdiivka

Kezi Avdiivka Active Member

Oh this is easy

index.jpg

All my fursuits are 100% natural.

5. FluffyShutterbug

Urk... I think that I'd need FOUR colors. Red-Orange, White, Black and Vermilion.

6. Kezi Avdiivka

you got blue? wanna smash?

7. FluffyShutterbug

No... And "smash"?

8. Kezi Avdiivka

swiggity swooty

crystallinecanine likes this.
  9. FluffyShutterbug

You're somethin' else... o_O

10. KeitoTheMidnightFox

I recently saw that meme video... lmao xD

11. Kezi Avdiivka

lol oneplusthirtyposted it today too after my girlfriend thread.

never gets old

12. KeitoTheMidnightFox

I lol'd hard xD

13. FluffyShutterbug

Let's not hijack this thread, fellas. :rolleyes:

14. Kezi Avdiivka

Sorreh, returning to topic

Dollar store + ACmoore = Good cheap shit for fursuiting.

Can also order felt and stuff on ebay for cheap. find a Chinese company and you're golden on price. Other than that? Salvage anything and everything you can get.

15. FluffyShutterbug

Ok! Thanks for the advice! :)

16. KeitoTheMidnightFox

Fursuits are amazing. A bit of truth. With Keito, and I think in most fursuit heads vision can be limited. Especially mine in Keito. So thats one thing to take into fact. Also suits get very very hot. And the heads I would recommend if the artist like the one who did mine made the mouth open to be able to breath and talk without over heating. Another thing I heard that some heads can offer is little fans to help keep you cool.

If you want to start off cheap. You could scavange stuff from like Kezi said. Dollar store and such.
    But if you really want to go for a cheaper route try making a partial. Head/Tail/Hands/Feet (Optional) before going with a full suit. Its cheaper plus it isnt overheating.
    Plus not that much extentsive care goes into that.

Caring for the suit is another thing thats for sure. :)

But I wish ye luck on getting your suit! :D

But I do think try for making a partial at first which is just Head/Hands/Tail dont need the feet if you intend to wear shoes most of the time. :)

17. FluffyShutterbug

You guys are so great! :D

18. jwolf127

jwolf127 New Member

Heya! I make partials for 300 (Pictured is my first ever partial e.e, I was 12 at the time, I'm now 13, but I've improved a lot) and this is what I have to say- (Yes I know, don't tell me I shouldn't be getting suits at my age, but I've already stopped growing due to genetical thingies e.e) Anyways, I'm currently making several suits but as a nice treat for me, I've got my own on the way. It costed around 200$ to get it as I bought it from a less experienced maker (Like me!). The good thing about buying from that maker is that it's relatively cheap and you can also see them grow and maybe purchase another suit in the future. Now Cosplay_dawn is right. Odd colors are not cheap unless you go to the back of JoAnns and dig out a roll of fur, those are about 16$ a yard, depending on the length of the furpile. A short pile cyan is about 11$, but a long pile is around 16-20. It's not cheap but not too bad, considering what it could be. Foam is also expensive! But if you go to the craft section in Wal-Mart, you'll find the jackpot of lovely foams and more. I got 2x2ft package of 4 1" foam for 10$. I also buy my half inch from there. If you seriously can't afford the foam, you can also attempt at a mesh base. Another thing you may wanna look out for if you're looking into getting one made is reviews(I guess). Search up several makers and look at their pricing. If you like their pricing, take a look of what people think. Some makers will take 2+ years, which is so frustrating from what I've heard. Hope I could help, -CyM (Commission Your Mission)

19. jwolf127

jwolf127 New Member

sorry it's just a blob of stuff o-o

20. Jarren

Jarren What doesn't kill me makes me stranger.

Kidnap a local school mascot.
    Take their suit.
    Pay them off to never speak of it again/find a good place to hide the body.*
    Voila!

*I claim no responsibility for issues caused by following my advice : P.

Yakamaru likes this.