Games everyone seems to love, but you just couldn't get into.

Discussion in 'PC & Console Gaming' started by Beatle9, Jun 21, 2017.

1. Beatle9

Beatle9 Asexual coywolf and amateur writer.

You ever had a game you had a bit of a controversial opinion on? A game that seems universally loved, but you thought wasn't as good as people said, or even thought it was just plain bad? Well, let's hear those controversial opinions!

I guess I'll start by painting a big old target on my head, I didn't like GTA: San Andreas! I never managed to finish the game, mainly because I thought the controls and mechanics were just too dated. Before everyone thinks I outright hate this game, let me say what I liked in it. I liked what I saw of the story, and liked the characters, and I really liked the side stuff you could do like working out, dating, robbing houses, gang wars, etc. Honestly I think GTA V could have really benefitted from having a little bit more of that in it (and I loved GTA V).

But the driving controls are awful, cars don't even take that much damage before they catch fire and explode. The mission failure/death system is way too punishing with how it takes away all of your weapons and you have to drive all the way back to where you start the mission, as opposed to hitting a restart button. And my God, it takes practically an hour just to choose which clothes to put on CJ, with him going in and out of the closet for every damn article of clothing! I'm sorry, but I just couldn't enjoy this game with all of these problems.

This is definitely a game I think would benefit heavily from a digital modern remaster/remake. They could update the controls, make the shooting and health mechanics more forgiving, and maybe add some damn optional fast travel and GPS! I mean holy shit this world is huge and it's a bitch to tell if your going the right direction or not!

I'm not asking to make the game "casual" or any of the other buzzwords "hardcore gamers" like to throw around, just that they update it.

But that's just me. Anyone else have a different game you have a controversial opinion about?

2. Starbeak

Starbeak Sent from Space, resides on Earth.

:)

There is quite a few:

The whole Nintendo Switch: Reason: too controversial will start a massive argument. I will say, my friend has it brought it over and we played it. I just don't see myself playing it all the time.

FNAF: Reason: It was okay until the 3rd one, then youtube over-saturated it and it became "meh" rather then "sweet more videos". I played the first one it seemed boring and just couldn't get into.

GTAV Online: Reason: I tried to get into it but it just wasn't there. I usually find myself playing solo missions and single player roaming. There is nothing against it, but I just wasn't into it for whatever reason.

Other games people are Into but I have little to no interest in:

Overwatch And Undertale.

Even though I never played these two, I saw my subscriptions on youtube playing these and both are something I can see myself not playing for too long, even though I like watching certain channels play them due to their commentary.

:)

3. Beatle9

I didn't get into GTA V Online either, but that was mainly due to the fact that I couldn't find anyone to play with that wasn't a 13-year-old who just learned racial and homophobic slurs for the first time, and tries way too hard to be edgy.

4. Tecwyn

Tecwyn Loves Chatting

Wow, you like triggered me a lot, I like all of those...except FNAF....and GTAV.

Seriously though, I myself did not get into the Fallout Series, everyone is talking about it, but 3 and 4 just didn't get me.
    Actually, open world games in general do this for me. It's fun being able to explore everywhere, but it's usually at the cost of a coherent or driving story.
    Still enjoyable sometimes though

5. real time strategist

real time strategist Active Member

Fallout: i have played them all, and they all bore me.

Doom 4: not only are the originals more fun and cheaper combined, but the gameplay is so slow and boring, the cutscenes take so fucking long, which wouldnt be a problem if the story wasnt trash, and the levels all look the fucking same, best way to describe it is slightly faster call of duty.

Starcraft: good for competitive, but it is quite a bad RTS, there is very little strategy, and most of the game is who has more APM wins.

Arma: im sorry but I dont enjoy walking around for 10 hours only to get one shot, this game is slower than dwarf fortress and more confusing than it, yes I learned how to play arma but it is still a lot of walking around and not doing anything.

Command and conquer 3 and up: so take tiberian dawn and make it more boring and slow, I wouldnt say its bad but I would wrather play Tiberian dawn or ra1 than 3, 4 just sucks though.

Simcity, all of them: not only has DF made these games outdated for me, but they just bore me, I honestly have no idea why other than they just do for some reason.

MMOs: one word: grind.

MOBA: competitive games have this problem of taking out fun for being competitive, I dont really care at all about being competitive in a videogame.

Im going to stop now because this is going to become a text wall soon.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2017
  6. BasilClover

BasilClover Character Collector

Fallout 4 is one of the worst AAA/hyped games I've ever played. Embarrassing when another company can use your IP better than Bethesda can to create my favorite game of all time (Fallout New Vegas)

Cloudyhue and ACaracalFromWork like this.
  7. Beatle9

Maybe it's just cause I've never played a Fallout game, but I really enjoyed Fallout 4. I can see the flaws are there (like the fact the Bethesda really needs to develop a new graphics engine), but I just kept coming back to play, especially with mods enabled. RPG-type games are always either hit or miss for me, but Fallout 4 was just my kind of RPG.

8. ACaracalFromWork

ACaracalFromWork Forgive, forget and live!

Counterstrike: To me it's basic of the basic first person shooter a foundation for fps but I want a little more.

Beatle9 likes this.
  9. WolfNightV4X1

WolfNightV4X1 King of Kawaii; That Token Femboy

Team Fortress 2 and Counter strike...mainly because Im not very good at multiplayer gaming and shooter games in general :/

Beatle9 likes this.
  10. GreenZone

GreenZone Well-Known Member

sorry but this shows how little you actually know about fallout Fallout is not a Bethesda IP it was created by Interplay Fallout 2 was developed by Black isle studios who would go on to become Obsidian so it was Obsidian's to begin with not Bethesda

Fallout New Vegas was "better" because it was created by the original creators they also continued with their cannon like the NCR which in Fallout 2 was just a little nothing town in the middle of nowhere

i can't really see why you think Fallout 4 is "bad" its what fallout 3 should have been the origional fans of Fallout didn't like fallout 3 or NV because it didn't look like fallout it looked like an Oblivion total conversion mod with a Fallout skin Fallout 4 did a lot better job at making it feel like fallout

Fallout NV was an improvement it felt more fallouty but there was something missing i also didn't like the weapon re designs in all of them for example the "plasma caster" is actually what the Plasma rifle is supposed to be the Hunting Rifle is supposed to be a G3 and they had M9 Beretta's and desert eagles and so on Fallout was never this overly 50's looking game it looked more 90's like mad max

11. ACaracalFromWork

ACaracalFromWork Forgive, forget and live!

the thing about tf2 even if you're bad at the game their are billions of modded game modes you can play.
    I used to play fun servers a lot.

Beatle9 and WolfNightV4X1 like this.
  12. WolfNightV4X1

...this was awful to read and drove me mad so I fixed the grammar by putting periods and commas.

Beatle9 likes this.
  13. WolfNightV4X1

I guess so, but I dont understand it, I guess.

...and on that note same with minecraft. What do?

14. GreenZone

GreenZone Well-Known Member

the snarky attitude is very unnecessary mate

15. Stratelier

Stratelier Active Member

Oh, I could list a few....

Fallout series: I just don't like post-nuclear settings in general.

FF7: Sit down a while and let me tell you a story.
    Back in its day, I played a demo for its ill-fated PC port. I don't know what exactly happened but all those lovely pre-rendered background graphics wound up absolutely scrambled when I played it (the FMVs and 3D rendering were fine, though). Compared to the crown jewel of the 16-bit era that was FF6, the above experience killed my interest faster than Sephiroth kabobbed Aeris. Oh, and that whole Aeris thing wasn't a plot twist I discovered blindly; by the time I actually tried playing it on the PSX I was already spoiled to this development (and having an official strategy guide at the time did not help this any, either), so its emotional impact on me was a big flat ZERO. I was genuinely more brokenhearted over losing Shadow in FF6...

Last edited: Jun 21, 2017
    Beatle9 likes this.
  16. BasilClover

BasilClover Character Collector

"Bethesda Softworks LLC v. Interplay Entertainment Corporation was a legal dispute between Bethesda Softworks, the current owner of the Fallout franchise, and Interplay, the publisher of the original Fallout games, and in settlement confirmed that Bethesda was the sole owner of the Fallout franchise, and ended the hopes of Interplay to create any future Fallout titles, including Project V13 (Fallout Online)."

"In 2004, faced with growing debts and declining revenues, Interplay offered a number of their Intellectual property rights (including Fallout)... Amongst the bidders for the Fallout license was Bethesda Softworks, who secured a license to create 3 Fallout titles, in an Exclusive License Agreement (often referred to as the ELA). This deal was completed in June 2004. Following this, Bethesda began development on Fallout 3."

17. WolfNightV4X1

Sorry, I tried to be polite about it, :/ it didnt come off that way, but run on sentences like that dont read well

18. Alstren

Alstren Nerd Bird

Darksouls, its setting and ideas are awesome and it looks like it could be alot of fun. But after getting my ass kicked in by the Bell Gargoyles 37 times in a row with no hope of success I went a little silly with rage and swore off playing it ever again. To this day I respect the game, I like its lore, but I will never play any of the Souls games ever again.

19. Beatle9

I could never get into Minecraft mainly because I'm not talented enough to create anything in it.

20. Beatle9

It also doesn't help that when you ask the fanbase for advice or help with a difficult boss they act all high and mighty, and blow you off.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2017
    Alstren likes this.