Help. First time fursuit

Discussion in 'Fursuiting and Costuming' started by ATLTeemo, Mar 7, 2017.

1. ATLTeemo

ATLTeemo New Member

My gf and I are trying to make our first fursuit. The main problem we're having is trying to figure out the right type of foam, some people recommend the Walmart foam, but we wanted to ask first. Also are there any basic patterns out there for the head, torso and legs?

2. Ashwolves5

Ashwolves5 Miss Fluffy Bottom

You can get the sheet foam from Walmart or even joanns. Torso and legs are usually made to fit through patterning made with duct tape. Heads you might be able to find patterns online but if you want to do it easy a lot of artist sell bases for heads.

3. ATLTeemo

ATLTeemo New Member

Ah. How much foam would we need because we're trying to make 2 of them . Also, do you have any tutorials online that can help? We've been looking on youtube and there's scare good information.

4. Ashwolves5

Ashwolves5 Miss Fluffy Bottom

well for a head you can probably get what ever a yard of thin foam might be. if the legs are be shaped you might want to look around for more blocked foam since youd be cutting to shape and its more like padding. some upholstery store sell discounted foam. your gonna need a lot for two anyways.

5. Keefur

Keefur aka Cutter Cat

Ok. The best foam to use is the Green upholstery foam you can find at most fabric shops. If you can find it at Hobby Lobby, you can get a coupon for 40% off. Keep an eye out for sales at fabric shops, too. This kind of foam isn't cheap, but it is very good. The regular tan foam is an open cell polyurethane that will break down eventually in Ultra Violet light and "rust". Rusting is where the foam breaks down and makes a darkish brown dust that comes off of the surface of the foam. Not good. I did not sew the fur onto my fursuit head, but hot glued it. I have been using my fursuit for 7 years now. Wow... Cutter Cat is 49 cat years old. If you need tips, drop me a note on my regular FA account. My account is Keefur.

6. ATLTeemo

ATLTeemo New Member

Thanks. Btw, what's the best scissors or cutting device for fur?

7. HallowQueen

HallowQueen Candy is dandy~

best cutting device is a box cutter or razor used very very carefully on the backing only to avoid clipping the fibers! <3