Help! First time making fursuit, need advice on furring!(unanswered)

Discussion in 'Fursuiting and Costuming' started by Lunith, Apr 18, 2017.

1. Lunith

Lunith Your Local Neighbourhood Centaur

So I've completed the head in terms of sculpting. I'm making Springtrap from FNAF3 for may comic con, but I'm having the hardest time cutting the material and putting it on.

Every time I try the tape method it never works out for me either.

[​IMG]

And here's the head without the tape;

[​IMG]

It's a pivotable head. Moves quite well actually! But I'm using fleece and I have no idea how to put it on.
    I don't want to use sewing methods either unless I really have to. It's Springtrap so I intend on making the material look aged and ruined later.

Also, I want to cover up the area where my mouth is seen. But since it's pivotable I have no idea how this could be done. I've searched everywhere to find a tutorial that explains how to add black to the inside of the mouth but I can't find anything.

Thanks for reading!

2. OakenheelTheWolf

OakenheelTheWolf Active Member

Why would you want to cover up ur mouth? Its springtrap so its supposed to look like a body is inside!

3. Lunith

I intend on making a piece of plastic/clay with mouth details on to put against the black background of the mouth. From the pictures of the game, it looks very dark inside the head, so having a black background would reflect better on what he looks like in game. Well I think so anyway.

Plus it would be a lot more comfy not to have face paint underneath an already warm fursuit head.

4. Lunith

[​IMG]

Well, this is what I got so far. Trying to hide the bits where it connects is going to be very hard.
    I'd really appreciate it if someone gave me an idea on how to add fabric into the inside of the mouth and covering up my actual mouth while having a pivoting jaw with elastic would be great! ;u;

5. Not sure how to explain this, but you could add a screen of mesh to the inside of the mouth.

Basically cut out a piece of mesh and sew it on the inside of your balaclava over the mouthhole. I know you said you didnt want to sew but I cant think of another way to do it. >.>´

6. Lunith

Hmmm. That could be one way of doing it, but then I'd be concerned about how it would pivot. I basically slit the balaclava to make a mouth, glued on my foam, then added elastic wrapped around the head. Plus, the mesh might rub against my chin and such. That wouldn't be comfy. ;u;

7. Lunith

I did do this though.

8. crystallinecanine

crystallinecanine Sparkle Gosh

See, the problem is that if you cover the mouth, you're going to have an uncomfortable time suiting. Your mouth is the main intake of air and it wouldn't be a good idea to completely cover your mouth.

By pivot do you mean your head has a moving jaw? If you're concerned about a mesh covering scratching your chin/ or preventing your head to move well, perhaps you can use a softer mesh material: fishnet tights, mosquito netting, or athletic mesh. I think athletic mesh would be a good choice, since it's soft, breathable, and has a bit of stretch. If you want something thinner and less permanant, you could do tulle, but its really tearable and won't last very long. (all of these fabrics are available online for inexpensive prices)

You will have to sew a bit if you want your mesh covering to last. If you choose to use a softer fabric, then you can use a basic stitch to attach it to the lining of your head.

(When you add your mesh thing, it would also be smart to have a small hole off to the side so you could drink water through a straw or something lololol)
    I hope that I helped a bit! ^_^