Honest opinions on my artwork?

Discussion in 'Tutorials and Critiques' started by Ninjawolf160, Aug 9, 2016.

1. Ninjawolf160

Ninjawolf160 New Member

Hello everyone I was wondering if you guys could critique my work? And maybe give me some advice or tips on how to improve if you can.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. PlusThirtyOne

PlusThirtyOne What DOES my username mean...?

Backgrounds need serious work. They aren't bad but they lack detail. The large areas of flat color kill any impression of it being a place. There's little to no dimension to them. That said, you don't need a background for every image unless it's necessary to tell your character's story. Don't be afraid to draw a subject on a white or single-colored background. if you wanted to "fix" the images' backgrounds in the images posted, i would simply blur them out of focus to hide their lack of detail. The first image would be the hardest to "fix" without dropping the horizon half way down the canvas. That field of grass looks far too undetailed to take up so much of the image. There's no depth to the background so it looks at first like your characters are poised in front of a green screen.

3. Ninjawolf160

Ninjawolf160 New Member

I'll keep these in mind and focus a bit on improving details into my backgrounds and perspective. Thank you for the critique ^W^

4. Ninjawolf160

Ninjawolf160 New Member

5. GunsForPaws

GunsForPaws Member

The anatomy is pretty good, but yeah I agree that there isn't much detail. Perhaps also add more detail to the fur, bc it just looks flat. Also, the shading is quite soft. In pieces where the lighting is very harsh, try to make the shading look a little harder and darker. If the lighting is soft, it's okay to make the shading a little soft but in places the shading will still be quite sharp. I admit, it is kind of hard to do and I don't do it too much either as it is easy to do wrong, but yeah, once you get the hang of it your shading will improve drastically. Other than that, your art is great :D

Rant likes this.
  6. Artruya

Artruya Defective Wusky

If you want to learn how to draw scenes with really nice depth, google "perspective drawings" and "vanishing points". Very important stuff! :)
    After you get a sense for it, you wont actually need to draw the vanishing points. I don't need them anymore because I've been 3d modelling for years and its second nature now! But drawing using them is excellent practice.
    I hope that helps!

7. Artruya

Artruya Defective Wusky

Otherwise, really nice work! :)

8. Ninjawolf160

Ninjawolf160 New Member

Thank you for the tips I'll try to improve in this area the best I can. And thank you for the compliment.

I have a hard time learning perspective and vanishing points, specifically with horizon lines. It simply just makes no sense to me.

Artruya likes this.
  9. Xaroin

Xaroin Sprsh

I don't know, it's better than my stuff

10. Ninjawolf160

Ninjawolf160 New Member

I looked at your stuff your doing your best, its a good start. You at least add some detail to your works, i still struggle haha. I'm sure you'll improve. Practice makes perfect. Just practice with anatomy, like lizards and maybe study dinosaur bones too since they are more dragon like. And you'll improve. Also do what Artruya advised me, practice perspective and vanishing points and experiment with your work. You'll improve :3

11. Xaroin

Xaroin Sprsh

I normally look at anatomy when I don't have a clue what to do. I got the horns and the wings from that stuff. I also don't know what other details I can add besides what I've already done other than something I got from Rant about scale shading.

12. Artruya

Artruya Defective Wusky

You're welcome :)

It certainly is not easy!
    I learned it in an architectural drafting class and had a good teacher.
    I'll see if i can find a good video on it when i get home :)