Horrible experience with bigger fa users

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by sharprealmcomics, Nov 7, 2017.

1. Yvvki

Yvvki Sassy lesser panda.

I don't think it came across for advertising. The way he posted it, it was more like he wanted to share a character that had the same name as the artist because they look up to them. So it was more like...

"Oh you're a great artist, I made a character inspired by you because I really am a fan. I realize my work isn't great but I hope you like it anyways. And if you don't like it I hope maybe I can learn from you."

If Artists feel like everyone is out to get them and take away their business, esp if their art looks really well done. They should really take a step back and re-evaluate what they do. If they believe the reason people are not commissioning them, is because of a fan who made fan art of them because they liked their work... Then they need to take a break and re-think on why they feel so threatened.

As an artist I love to inspire people, I love sharing ideas and I love creating. If I ever felt that those things would take away people from commissioning me, or in general hurt me. I would have to take a step back and look at it from a fans point of view. Then realize the reason I'm not getting commissioned is either because people may not have the money or the means to at that time, or they are just not interested in more art from me at that time.

Now if you were posting things like how much your art was in their stream or that you needed commissions, then yea that's shameless advertising. You should not do this in a stream. BUT! They were not doing this so...that's a thing.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2017 at 4:14 PM
    Rakiya likes this.
  2. sharprealmcomics

sharprealmcomics https://www.furaffinity.net/user/sharprealmcomics/

cluck* thats true ive always heard about most YT peaple are jerks...so sad i heard they hate ech other to and pend all their money on bull shit when peaple are starving~... THEY coould do so mutch for the world...but they dont

3. dogryme6

dogryme6 Destructive Faffer

The spirit of competition may as well have come from hell. A cliched thing to say, but I have a dry reference well.
    Youtubers only care about making videos to trends that sell, whether they sold their soul or not I very well cannot tell.

lupi900 and sharprealmcomics like this.
  4. Rakiya

Rakiya New Member

Personally I wouldn't interpret it as advertising either... but with that said, people I come across online in general tend to be defensive about all sorts of things.
    As you say, posting prices and asking for commissions is clearly inappropriate... but I think it's equally plausible to be intrusive without doing either.

The primary question I'd ask in this instance is "Who's the audience?"
    Was the linked image intended for the streamer, the viewers, or both?
    If they just wanted to interact with the artist a more private platform would probably have been more appropriate.
    Considering it was a stream, I'm assuming that the artist was drawing something at the time anyway, and that's probably not the best time to be asking for tips.
    Not entirely sure where the fanart/inspirational aspect of the discussion came from since... unless I'm missing something the similarities mentioned is pretty much the name of the characters. Not really a connection point unless it was a really unique name.

In either case, I still think it's common courtesy to ask about posting art in someone else's stream.
    If the conversation had followed along the script of;
    Artist: "Hey I'm a fan can I show you my work"
    Stream: "Sure"
    Artist: *Posted*
    I think the discourse could have been very different.

Overall though, I wasn't in the stream when it happened. And don't have enough information to determine if either party was in the wrong.
    But one thing I can say for certain is that threads like these don't help.
    There isn't anything wrong with being a 'big FA user. In fact many probably aspire to be a known 'fursonality'
    I personally think the paranoia of losing customers (from what I've seen) is a bit extreme, but I don't fault an artist for being a bit overly protective of their customer base; especially if it's their primary or only source of income.
    Could definitely have been handled differently, sure.
    But painting all popular artists (with the exception of some) as having a flawed personality is a bit ridiculous.

Yvvki likes this.
  5. Yvvki

What your saying makes sense but if that's the case then why did the artist take time to look at the art and then proceed to make fun of him.
    I can understand the circumstances if the Artist gave them a firm warning not to post links in the chat but that was not the case.
    Also to me, any art that was inspired by another is fan art.

I also agree that he should have posted privately but he did not. Even if he did approach the streamer incorrectly, he did not deserve that kind of behavior.

As far as posting a thread about it. He did not say names and I find it important to be able to discuss things. Just to help him grasp an understanding on how people have a different take on things.

Oh also the reason I'm against the artist acting like that is because it's just unprofessional and they might be loosing costumers just based on their behavior, and then blaming it on the fan. That just doesn't seem right to me.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2017 at 5:54 PM
  6. sharprealmcomics

exipt D sigs the angrey black man on youtube he cares but hes one of the few .

7. Rakiya

Rakiya New Member

Well I think it's pretty natural for someone to open a link posted in their stream.
    Not being an artist nor a streamer myself I can't say with much personal certainty. But if I was posting a thread on here and someone posted a link to their art. I think I'd be quite curious regardless of whether I wanted to see the work or not.

I might be missing something with the whole inspiration thing though? My understanding was that the thread starter said they were a fan of the artist, and that an unrelated character shared a name with a character. Not sure if there's anything there that can be interpreted as art inspiring art. But maybe it's a broad motivational "I wish I was like them" sort of thing?

In regards to responding inappropriately, I'll openly admit that I'm not fond of such behavior either.
    Frankly if an artist I was watching did that to me I'd stop watching them, and frankly become too biased to enjoy their art.
    But that's really the full extent of things. Popular artists are generally popular for their artistic skill, not their personalities.
    Professionalism is important, but considering how FA artists are self-employed freelancers, they don't really need to adhere to any standards.
    If it loses them a few dozen or hundred customers then that's their loss. Karma will bite them in the ass one day, but for the time being they're happy.

After reading over the post again I don't really see it as a discussion thread as much as a victimized circle jerk.'
    If we use socially popular phrases, I find the act of talking someone down (name mentioned or not) in this way to be 'talking shit about someone where they can't defend themselves'. I'm actually going to be a complete asshat myself and say that the "lol" response the thread starter got in response to their impairment was deserved. As I disagree strongly with the practice of self-assigning an impairment/disability/condition as a protection mechanism. But that's an entirely different can of worms.

sharprealmcomics and Yvvki like this.
  8. Yvvki

I agree with your points. I just like being able to discuss things. I think the guy who posted this will be able to take from both sides and maybe learn a few things. Yes he made this thread to complain but if we can let him learn from just talking about it then I feel we can all walk away with some understanding of how people perceive each other. Your experience and points help me to see how people might take what I say as well.

sharprealmcomics likes this.
  9. Rakiya

Rakiya New Member

One can hope.

sharprealmcomics and Yvvki like this.
  10. sharprealmcomics

Siggas is a dude who cares ^^
    we can agree the response waset called for.

11. sharprealmcomics

I said that earlier that i did walk away from this wiser ...and a little sadned as thats the way things are...but thats how it is gata be barful

Yvvki likes this.
  12. sharprealmcomics

i did im very careful about streams now days

13. lupi900

lupi900 Active Member

YouTube is very nasty to this fandom. A well know furry youtuber was harassed because she got popular.

Seems to be a breeding ground for manchildren & morons that will attack anyone they deem weird. But can't handle any throwbacks or counter call outs.

It's just a junk website.

14. sharprealmcomics

This is 1 guy i know that truly cares for hes fans Dsigs also known as siggas and he cant get any views/money/ anything becase of youtubes crappy changes that killed the site. he was going to build a headquarters (or is who knows) to do massive charity work and save the world.(but hes like the only one

15. dogryme6

dogryme6 Destructive Faffer

HAHA! That is what I wanted to hear! But...
    Yeah, that really sucks. I wish the damn place wasn't populated with so many idiots, but there's plenty of other problems on youtube that makes it totally suck.

16. JJPaw

JJPaw New Member

I'm reluctant to meet bigger FA users because it seems like they're radiating some form of egotism like this. Not worth engaging despite the quality artwork.

17. sharprealmcomics

I feel the same way about some movie directors. exp most of their movies suck XD ......*guy who dericts grown ups