How can I be more imaginative and creative?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Belatucadros, May 18, 2017.

1. Belatucadros

Belatucadros Vance the Gryphon!

One thing that amazes me is how complex and unique some peoples' fursona's are. While looking at these I can't help but ask myself why I can't come up with such awesome designs. I mean, my fursona is literally just a gryphon with green fur, yellow arms and beak, and some blue floof on his head. No markings anywhere, kinda bland.

Now that doesn't mean simple fursonas and Fursuits can't be awesome. Take Kiwi the Gryphon, her fursuit is just white fur with a heart on her chest, and yellow arms/beak. But on the other hand, Vivo the Lightning gryphon has several colors and has tons of markings. He's probably my favorite fursuit on the face of this planet. Of course, complex fursonas lead to very expensive Fursuits... So perhaps it's not a bad thing that I'm artistically dry?

Anyways, I'm getting off topic. For those artists out there, how can I learn to be more imaginative when creating characters?

Attached Files:

2. Yakamaru

Yakamaru No "Awooo'ing" allowed

Are we talking genuinely complex and unique Fursonas, or sparkledogs?

Looks can play a part of a Fursona, but only if you want it to do so. A decent amount of people put effort into their background rather than their looks.

I'm in no way an artist, and can only go from my own experience and view on things.

There are times when being simple is simply the best. IMO, simplicity in character design and having a rich backstory/background is more attractive and interesting than looking fancy.

Personally I wouldn't call you artistically dry. A green gryphon with some blue hair on his head's fine, IMO. It's a character YOU spent time finding and creating. If he is what you came up with, I'd never call it a waste of time, effort or energy.

If you're not satisfied, you can check out people's Fursonas. Look at details, background/backstory, patterns, etc, see if you find something you like. There's a plethora of different OC's out there you can check out.

3. Zeitzbach

Zeitzbach Taste purple

A good balance is not adding so much that you can't add anymore, but taking enough that nothing can be removed anyway.

So being simple isn't that bad. On the other hand, having too much and you can expect this reaction often by artists.

[​IMG]

But if you want to have an easy time with marking and experiment more, learn how color work together in harmony. For example, the popular purple-and-green is something most people actually dislike because of how bad they blend and how that color combination represent toxicity most of the time. A good color combination should have a base color, a highlight color and supplementary color. A plain white with some darker color clothing and highlight will go together way better than 3 different plain bright color.

So to make life easy for non-artists, just look up colors with definition that represent the character personality and google some kind of color palette that contains that very color along with a picture of a real animal or something just so you know where to place each color/marking.

Activoid, Belatucadros and Yakamaru like this.
  4. Belatucadros

Thanks for the input guys!

Yakamaru likes this.
  5. Yakamaru

Yakamaru No "Awooo'ing" allowed

This comic. "I'll add some bleach to the list". :D

But yeah, I agree with what Bach-kun said. I'm not an artist myself, and I'd rather have an artist give their opinion on this.

Belatucadros likes this.
  6. Puffinca

Puffinca New Member

Honestly, I've seen really bad complex designs and really good simple designs, or visa versa. For me, I always look to nature for ideas on color matching/patterns/etc. Sometimes I cheat and look at human-made things for inspiration, lmao. Take a walk through IKEA and you'll start to see trends on how certain colors/patterns work together.

Belatucadros likes this.
  7. Puffinca

Puffinca New Member

Btw, Vivo the Lightening Gryphon looks to me a lot like a mix between

a western meadowlark:
    [​IMG]

and this chubby little fucker (golden-crowned kinglet)
    [​IMG]

Point about getting inspiration from nature proven :)

WolfNightV4X1 and Belatucadros like this.
  8. WolfNightV4X1

WolfNightV4X1 King of Kawaii; That Token Femboy

Agree with above, I get my inspiration from nature when designing my beasts.

Special markings descriptions for my guys

My fursona: based on wolf patterns. Darker "cape", lighter underbelly, fringe accent color on cheeks fluff, two inverted ear colors because I was bored with the previous design, tipped tail. Feral has a gryohon vulture feather collar. Has wings.

Quinn: Bearded dragon side belly spikes, bearded dragon beard and back pattern, bearded dragon orange eyebands, horny toad horns, mix of scale and fluff, eye design based on chinese lucky cat. banded tail like beardie

Zephyr: Mohawk based on African civet dorsal mane. Malaysian civet neck stripes. Typical civet spots.

Mason: white and gray pitbull with gray eye spots, pinkish doggo lips with nose coloration on lips as well,

...and so on. All my OCs are based on design traits of aesthetics I find really cool on real animals, with the fantasy elementnof odd colors thrown in.

Belatucadros likes this.
  9. spacerogue

spacerogue New Member

imagination is a muscle, the more you use it the better you'll get at it.

That said I don't think there's anything wrong with a 'simple' fursona, I often portrayed myself as a labrat, a boring white normal ratty.

Belatucadros likes this.
  10. dozenfish

dozenfish New Member

The most important thing for me in my creative process is to not worry about being creative, or making what I'm doing good. My goal is to improve, but if I obsess over the details and try to make everything the best ever, it just falls apart. I see some similarities in what you're feeling. It seems like you're turning your judgmental eye inward. Rather than perceiving flaws that are based on the successes/skills/traits of other people, you should focus on whether you are content with your designs. Is this something that actually is not resonating with you? Or are you making judgements based on what other people prefer?

As you grow as an artist/creator, you may find some things you want to change. That's fine and normal! Just do it because it makes you happy, not because it caters to your insecurities.

Belatucadros likes this.
  11. Pipistrele

Pipistrele Stupid batto

I have some desire to write a ton of text on matter of "being yourself" and "looking around you", but in reality, short and pragmatic answer is to start studying character design - by reading books on subject, taking inspiration from popular cartoonists, and just exploring artwork around the mediums you're interested in and trying to apply that to your particular way of creating stuff. Here's a good video on that matter, it will give you better understanding of what makes eye-catching (in a good way) character and what makes dull character:

spacerogue, Activoid and Belatucadros like this.
  12. Maximor_Bloodpanda

Maximor_Bloodpanda The True Anti-Conformist

Snort some acid, that'll really get the colorful creative juices flowin!

Activoid likes this.
  13. Activoid

Activoid Ace Artist

I had no idea how to be creative with fursonas either, until someone on this forum mentioned to me a couple months ago that they based tiny and petty things about their fursona on their real self. I thought that was kind of a cool idea.

So instead of striving to make a cool fursona that was a fantasy wish-fulfillment sort of deal, making a fursona that represented everything I *wished* I could be, instead I took a lot of my dumb quirks and flaws and piled it into a critter and called it good. So like my fursona has a crooked back, pasty complexion, dirty brown hands and feet and hair/feathers, and spots to represent my lame occasional acne outbreak. I'm pretty confident in who I am as a person in real life, even if my body and personality aren't up to society's standards, so I thought it would be fun to make something that pokes at all the imperfections I have. LOL.

Belatucadros likes this.
  14. Belatucadros

I suppose I'm beginning to realize that my fursona doesn't need all of those fancy marks and designs. No matter how simple it is, if it means something to me then it's perfect just the way it is. Thanks everyone!