How did you create your fursona name

Discussion in 'Fursona Discussion' started by Xaroin, Dec 18, 2016.

1. Xaroin

Xaroin Sprsh

Personally, I changed 2 letters in the "Verify your account" code (Z to an X, and an E to an A), so I'm wondering where yours came from.

2. Caraid

Caraid Classy cat

I'd been watching Outlander and got interested in Scottish Gaelic (which is a dying language at the moment). Out of curiosity I looked up the Gaelic translations for a variety of words and came to "Caraid" after translating "friend" and it stuck with me.

3. Alpine

Alpine The best Renault

Marx - I made this character a diehard communist and Karl Marx instantly came to mind. Since Marx sounded like a cool name for a dragon anyway but a little too short for a proper first name, I added some Russian bits to the end, eventually settling for Marcksolov (being called Marx for short)

Ann- seemingly unoriginal but this one came to me in a quote I thought of randomly. So I ran with it

Andrew- my middle name :p

Red- a well defined character that I couldn't come up with a name for. Just use his hide color as a nickname :D

Argynx- this one was the hardest to come up with. I needed a marginally original name for my Rex character, so after like a half hour of staring at possible names in frustration, the country Argentina randomly came to mind. I hacked off 80% of that and fiddled with the end until I made a name that rolled off the tongue.

Zara- sounded cool for a female character. Plus I must have subconsciously thought of a The Getaway Black Monday which has a female supporting antagonist by the name of Zara. I called it good enough and rolled with it.

4. Cheez

Cheez New Member

I've had this name as a username in a lot of places for awhile now.. so it's name is just Cheezi xP

5. Rant

Rant Haters Gonna Hate

There's online translators, I played with it for days going through every word that came to mind in every language. Settled for Thunderstorms in Egyptian

BooftheFox likes this.
  6. MadKiyo

MadKiyo Villainous Fly

Fliegen is just fly in Deutsch. Nothing to it really.

BooftheFox likes this.
  7. Zenoth

Zenoth The average chipfox, doing chipfox stuff.

I just used my long time gamer handle to be honest xD I've used it so long that even my brother calles me Zenoth instead of my actual name ^^

BooftheFox likes this.
  8. Yakamaru

Yakamaru I stubbed my log on a car!

I just find Drake a cool name.

9. DuranWolf

DuranWolf Youngish greymuzzle

For me, from a band called Duran Duran. They have a song called Hungry Like the Wolf. And well, that's pretty much it.

BooftheFox, Nova Scarlett and Zenoth like this.
  10. Murasaki Fox

Murasaki Fox Wandering Spirit

I like purple.

Also, purple is the color used for raising awareness about Lupus, which I'm very likely to have.

Also, I don't know enough Japanese to come up with a good kami name. So I'm keeping the character relatively humble.

BooftheFox likes this.
  11. Nova Scarlett

Nova Scarlett "If Music Be the food of love, Play on"!

When I was creating my fursona, I decided to add one of her traits as part of her name(her eyes are blue and her Irises are galaxy's) :) (My Fursona's name is my user name).

Last edited: Dec 20, 2016
  12. Primal Conundrum

Primal Conundrum New Member

Started with the name Skyla, since it's pretty, then wanted to make it sound less human and a bit more guttural, so I swapped the L for a K.

Apparently the name Skyka makes people think I speak Russian though, so now and then I'll randomly get some message in Cyrillic :p

modfox likes this.
  13. MaikeruNezumi

MaikeruNezumi Irritable street rat

"Maikeru" is my first name phonetically translated from Japanese.
    "Nezumi" is Japanese for "mouse" or "rat."

You can practically feel the essence of a japanophile emanating from me. :p

14. cosmo-cat

cosmo-cat nyako paws

Nyako (one on icon)- She was originally named "Pinky" but I didn't like the sound of the name. I was researching Japanese names (she's Japanese) and I found "Naoko" which means "straight child". I changed the first three letters to be "Nya" (Japanese suffix for "meow") since that sounded cute and all. So her name literally means "meow child".

15. Mobius

Mobius Mech pilot.

I thought the geometry of the Möbius Strip was pretty cool.

16. Xaroin

Xaroin Sprsh

FFseph7D likes this.
  17. Mobius

Mobius Mech pilot.

FFseph7D likes this.
  18. Haru Totetsu

Haru Totetsu Commissioner

I like Asian aesthetics...simple as that.

Okami_No_Heishi likes this.
  19. Prometheus_Fox

Prometheus_Fox Fire Thief

The Greek story of Prometheus and the Native American story of Fox (or coyote, but Fox is the first time I heard it) are quite similar.
    Both characters stole fire, symbolic of technology and civilization from exclusive beings, gods and fireflies respectively, and gave this fire to the humans.
    Thus, Prometheus Fox is here.

20. Okami_No_Heishi

Okami_No_Heishi Very Happily Married For 16 And A Half Years

Well, I have been a Japanese history buff for decades, since about 5 years old. Over the years I have learned a little of the Japanese language. I learned Okami meant Wolf many years ago. When I learned about Furries, and sonas, my first thought was Okami. I have always loved wolves and have always felt a connection to them. And Okami No Heishi means Wolf Soldier. And since once upon a time I was a soldier, it fit like a glove. Wakarimasu-ka?

21. BirdSchool

BirdSchool Dragonbirb

Kaiden is just an old D&D character of mine, and while he's changed a few times the name has stuck.

Rune the Raven is my newer and main sona. It took me a while to come up with the name so it has an appropriately long story to match it. He came about after I finished reading Terry Pratchet's Soul Music (no plot spoilers ahead but I do spoil two of the better jokes) in which Rat Death has a raven who serves as his mount and interpreter. He was originally a wizard's familiar (the wizard named him Quoth and the raven hated the name because its a terrible pun. I am inclined to agree with this, so that is why I've not named my raven quoth) and part of his story was that he was now quite magical after being exposed to magic from the university. So I decided to name him after one of the other side characters from the university (technically two since I also drew inspiration from The Dean's "Born to Rune" jacket) the Lecturer in Recent Runes. So there you have my super tangential name origin.

22. Tetrachroma

Tetrachroma Cheers to the deers

23. Julen

Julen ✮ Banter Squad Member ✮

How did i create my sona's name? Easy! My name is a kinda weird uncommon name, so i used that one.

I'm fucking lazy

Draig Calon likes this.
  24. Leoni Zheitk

Leoni Zheitk Guest

My fursona name actually originated from my LARP roleplay name and I found using it as my fursona name would help me get more used to being called it during LARPs.

25. Guin-Likes-Pens

Guin-Likes-Pens The Cucumber Overlord

My name is actually Jennifer and my parents would always call me Guinivere.. So I shortened that to Guin and it's been like that since.