How do I do?

Discussion in 'Tutorials and Critiques' started by MoonDance, Apr 28, 2017.

1. MoonDance

MoonDance Wolf At Heart

Sooooo I've had an account on FA for a while and I just recently started posting more often so the question in the title "How do I do?" is basically me asking how I can get my art noticed?
    I'd love critiques or any opnions you have on it!!!
    I would appreciate any and all comments!!
    I'll leave a few pieces here and a link to my gallery :)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Link to my gallery: Artwork Gallery for MoonDanceWolf -- Fur Affinity [dot] net

Fallowfox likes this.
  2. Rykhoteth

Rykhoteth I AM A HUGE JIAN PLEASE BREAK MY LEGS

Shading is inexperienced, facial expressions need more study. Specifically, eye-level is expressionless while below is deformed to express something, which basically never happens outside cold emotions that are intended to be hidden typically much more subtle than this. No major comment on linework, I'm still trying to clean up mine.

Get art noticed by participating. More than I myself am doing. Like, comment, agree, do some art trades, some freebie art, etc. Just put an accessible link in your signature or at least your FA forum info page.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2017
    MoonDance likes this.
  3. MoonDance

MoonDance Wolf At Heart

Hmm expressions is something I've completely forgoten to work on lol that's something I should do for sure.
    I've always hated shading so I continue to work on that.
    Thanks for the help!

4. Ethriol

Ethriol New Member

It looks like you've got nice clean lineart, but are missing some fundamentals - are you self taught? I am too!
    I agree that expressions are very important to getting your art noticed, as the first thing people look at is the face (it's just how we're wired) and if that doesn't engage them you've missed step one.
    If you're looking to build your community I would start focusing on these things in your art right away:

Anatomy: When I first started and people told me to study anatomy I groaned so hard because who wants to sit down and look at bones and muscles and stuff for hours. However at a basic level you don't have to go quite that deep, understanding the building blocks is more important. As Sycra on YT puts it "The point here is not realism, but just getting a 'good enough' model that you can manipulate to draw imaginary stuff that still makes a degree of sense." Go find reference photos. Don't trace them but instead focus on breaking down and learning the shapes hidden underneath. Every day draw one or two figures from stock images - they dont have to be finished or detailed, but getting the proportions right will start to stick in your personal work. Try to focus on shapes.

This video explains this person's simplified anatomy models and how you can use shapes as a base for stylised work.
    This is a tumblr post on "How to draw Anything" AKA the shrimp method. I cannot stress to you how valuable this technique is. If I were to recommend a single thing to help people start improving their art alone - this would be it.

Composition: When you don't already have an established audience, you need to be able to captivate from a distance. People wont even get the chance to follow you if your art doesn't make them click through from the front page.
    None of the examples you gave have very striking composition - the wings on the last girl block her silhouette & you had so much potential for fun, swooshy, interesting lines of motion in that first image. The wolf heads composition is fine...but nothing too start out. Sure it's interesting to the creator because they made it, it means something to them. You have to make other people realise why its so interesting. Why are they reacting like this, what made them feel this way? If there's no context, and the figure isn't directly interacting with the audience (looking at them or moving towards them, which gives the impression that the POV is the cause of the emotions) how does this piece capture interest?
    Something that helps me with this is to draw the sketch of what I want in my head, look at it carefully and try to think "How could I push this?" - This could be changing the pose, viewing angle/perspective, dynamics, adding a BG and so on. Do this by creating thumbnail sketches - very small, loose sketching where you can test out how the picture will look without any stakes of having to create a finished image.

Here's a video on character posing and how to convey character in a single pose. This video uses Overwatch victory poses as a case study.
    Here's an article on using thumbnail sketches.

Colours: You're clearly experimenting with colour and shading - which is a great thing! You're not afraid to try using colours for shading I see in the first image. So many artists will just use black and white as shading tools but you are using colour which is great! The next step is knowing how to find the right colour for your shading to make the main colours pop. It seems that you have an eye for colours that look appealing, but struggle when applying them to a harmonious colour scheme. (This is one of the biggest hurdles I've faced recently) Colours and composition will grab your audience from the front page - make a mental note of each thumbnail you click on when looking through a gallery/browse page...figure out why you were drawn to that thumbnail and what made you want to see the full image...this will help you figure out how to get other people to pause, and click onto the full image.
    In the first image the shading is very blurry and you're using a purple which is competing with the main colour, not complementing it. There also doesn't seem to be a concrete light source. a lot of the highlights are coming from the lower right, but then the characters undercarriage around their hind legs is in shadow.
    The second image is alright although the red saturated background is competing with the red in the character design, and making the whole thing a little difficult to read.
    The third one has the problem of a non-harmonious colour scheme. None of the colours quite gel with each other or share similar tones which is why the yellow clashes rather than pops.

Here's a really, really useful video for using colour to create good colour schemes that draw in the viewer & convey mood.
    This video emphasises how surrounding colours can affect how we perceive other colours. The colours on the ref sheet are not always the right colour to use in the image!

Other Links:
    Istebrak YT channel
    Sycra YT channel
    7 habits of Highly Effective Artists (How a 3d artist went from completely beginner 2d art to beautiful painted work in 6 months)

This post ended up being WAAAAY longer than I anticipated when I set out making it...but I hope it's helpful! Keep working at it, its so satisfying to see your own improvements!

5. Royn

Royn Otterest Sergal evah!

Your art sucks, you suck, and you should feel bad for what you create.

Oh, and its polar opposite day.

Your art rocks, you rock, and you should feel awesome for what you create.

6. MadKiyo

MadKiyo Villainous Fly

I see you add lighting to the fur, but don't be afraid not to add lighting or gleam in some areas, especially deeper fur or fur blocked from the light source. A flatter tone would look more natural for those areas. What I've learned from lighting is not to overdo it.

7. Clary

Clary Clary Sage is a very delicious herb.

WOW, they look really awesome!
    I can't tell you how to improve, since I just started with drawing, so I will leave this to the others here.
    But just like Rykhoteth said, it is always a good idea to distribute some some links to your profile, for example by writing comments to other profiles.
    You have to do this, because there are so many submissions on FA, that every pic is only shown about 2 mins on start page, so you have to find other ways to make people look to your profile.

Btw, it just came to my mind that I could have seen your avatar anywhere else, so I checked it out and, yes, you are already on my watchlist on FA :D

Last edited: May 30, 2017
  8. Tigers-on-Unicycles

Tigers-on-Unicycles National Treasure

The middle drawing is the most compelling in my opinion because of lighting, values, fur detail, background and expression -so, keep doing that.

To get noticed? Draw. A lot. Post a lot. Livestream. Share your process. Find something that makes your artwork unique and amplify that.

My major advice for anybody who is starting out as an artist or very much in the process of learning is: learn from life first, not from how other people draw life. Learn realism first, and then learn how to stylize it. Once you have the basics down, you can do pretty much anything convincingly and well.