How Do You Hollow Out Expanding Foam Heads?

Discussion in 'Tutorials and Critiques' started by ShyCrestedGirl, May 18, 2016.

1. So I want to try my hand at making a toony head and I want to use a foam base but I have no clue how to hollow them out. Can anyone tell me the easiest way?

2. Rhee

Rhee Member

Something sharp and is easily resharpened, I use a box cutter, scissors, and that electric knife that one would use on a turkey. Though I've never worked with the cast foam heads, it shouldn't be to hard just messy.

3. alyssium

alyssium New Member

Make sure you wear a mask! When I was making a giant bludgeon out of expanding foam I used mostly an electric turkey cutter but I had to let it cool down frequently and it was hella dusty.

4. Kellan Meig'h

Kellan Meig'h Kilted Coder

You know, there is nothing easy about shaping foam. I would suggest looking at the bucket head technique at matrices.net or do a search for the foam block method on the Intarwebs. Scissors and that dreaded electric carving knife are your major players in shaping foam. I will comment that the sharper the knife blade is, the easier it shapes foam.

The blockhead method requires you to mark out the neck and using your hands, pull pieces of foam out until it fits on your head. This will take a while. The buckethead technique is quite a bit easier.