How do you kids name your project files and images?

Discussion in 'Art & Illustration' started by PlusThirtyOne, May 11, 2017.

1. PlusThirtyOne

PlusThirtyOne What DOES my username mean...?

Truth is, when i'm working on an illustration and it's not finished, i give my files nonsensical names; usually something that just rolls out of my head. if i'm listening to a podcast, standup comedy or playing cartoons, i sometimes just rattle off something related to that. Most sketches are titled numerically for my comic pages but for other stuff, there's no telling what i'll come up with.

Today i decided to clean up my "WiP" folder and found some gems:

"BeepBopDoodlyDootDoot.jpg"

"iswearimnotracistbutdotdotdot.psd"​

"so_i_says_to_mable_i_says.png"

"whatsthedealwithairlinefood.psd"​

"sometimesitstingswhenimaketinkle.jpg"

"ifbenderhasarobotpeenwoulditsupportusb3.png"​

This is also where i get my title for the aptly named (and mildly NSFW) "pantsu_dot_jape_egg.jpg". (NSFW)

Problem is, if i forget to properly sort and rename my projects when i'm finished, i end up with some batshit crazy WTF titles. Especially if i'm *AHEM* on my medication late at night. So what kind of rules do you peeps follow when naming files and/or folders?

2. narutogod123

narutogod123 Void Mage

I usually name my sketches "Warm Up (Insert number here)". If I finish it I change it to whatever I can think of that's related to the drawing.

3. Rykhoteth

Rykhoteth I AM A HUGE JIAN PLEASE BREAK MY LEGS

I don't think a single file of mine is named with work-safe language.

4. Andromedahl

Andromedahl Unlicensed UFO Pilot

I tend to be semi-related to what the piece is like *insertcharname*sketch or lotsoffuckin*char's name*sketches.jpg or "fuckyeah(char's name's)finished.png"

5. RailRide

RailRide The Real Wheels of Steel

I give my projects formalized project numbers, going back to the very start of FA (possibly even before, but I'd have to consult my backup archives)

The folders are named in the following format: "Project xxx -- (project title)"

Within each folder I keep files for that project:
    --thumbnails (if any)
    --pencil scans
    --inks
    --full-color layered files (i.e. .PSD or whatever native format your application of choice saves in)
    --flattened full-resolution bitmaps
    --flattened+reduced-size bitmaps (I reduce my images to about 30% of full size for posting...this bitmap is used for prints)
    --and finally the reduced-size .JPG that actually gets posted

In addition each project folder also contains:
    --a text file of the description I write (I fully describe ALL my uploads) and recently started adding in the tags that I place in the tag field
    --any custom icons
    --and any references used in the project (usually in a sub-folder)

In case this all seems overwhelming to you, I should point out what all this allows me to do:

--I can literally rebuild my gallery from scratch (descriptions+tags included) in a worst-case scenario of gallery data loss or corruption, in more or less the same order it was uploaded. At least that was the idea--this preserves the order said projects were concieved--some simple images skip the line and get uploaded ahead of others that stay in WIP for extended periods. But if I really wanted to, I could re-create the posting order just by referencing the date of the final JPGs that were uploaded.

--This tactic also allows me to expand my operation to another host, in the event I see a need to maintain more than one gallery presence. (or FA gets MySpaced)

Naturally, I keep backups. Two external drives at home (only connected when adding files), a third in my locker at work, and the flash drives a project lives on while WIP are never erased when the project is done (they're that cheap nowadays). Even if every net-connected Windows PC on Earth got ransomware-d, my artwork archives are safe :D

--I have over 650 images posted to FA. Having images indexed by project numbers in my archives can help pinpoint where an image lies in my gallery (since I change my featured submission every so often, to let folks know I'm still alive or something between uploads)

--Keeping all major stages of a project allows me to go back and mine them for additional content. For example, since some of my watchers enjoy looking at the pencil sketches and inks that go into my color images, I made use of FA's scraps+folder system to create a weekly themed upload ("The Weekly Ink & Pencil") of sketches/pencils and inks of old projects. Each of these "featurette" uploads links to its corresponding image (pencil->ink, ink->pencil, both->color version). Having comprehensive archives lets me come up with stuff like this.

---PCJ

Last edited: May 18, 2017
  6. Crimson_Steel17

Crimson_Steel17 Jumping feet first into hell... seems like my job

I usually title my project files exactly what they are.

Perfect example, since most of my creations are in video format for YouTube, my most recent project is titled "YTWakeUp.mp4" because it's essentially a rant about YouTube's most recent policy update.

However, if I use a rather iconic line or make an instantly recognizable joke (although it has to be something that I KNOW will get me more views), I'll name it after that joke. That's how there exists a screencap of my finished project folder, which shows the raw file of the highlight reel from broadcasting on Twitch, which is titled "WhenInDoubt_C4.mp4" (Hyneman's infamous line from MythBusters)...

As for the thumbnails that go with YouTube videos (because custom thumbnails are proven to marginally boost your view rate), they get named by taking the title of the video they go with, and then attaching the add-on "_thumb" in between the end of the title, and the ".png" suffix.

-CD1145

7. Kit H. Ruppell

Kit H. Ruppell Exterminieren! Exterminieren!

Bad puns, or the names of the characters involved.

8. PencilBrain

PencilBrain Squishy Butt

Jeez im not that creative.
    I name my files random gibberish.
    So a lot of them are things like.
    Aasjsjs
    Sodnjdodk
    Kkkkkkkkkkk
    Jjjjj
    Ahahahahah
    Nipnipnipnip
    Kekekekekekek
    Thingading
    Etc

9. Yvvki

Yvvki Sassy lesser panda.

Art1 Art2 Art3 ect ect

Or I name it off of a character.

Yvvki1 Yvvki2 ect ect.

10. psychonautic

psychonautic "It's fun to stay alive"

I'm really lazy so if its an oc I'll name them based on the first 1-3 letters of their name + first 2-5 letters of the subject. If its a doodle its usually "ddd" or "dds" depending on how many files already have that name.
    My 3D files tend to be more organized/grouped, since I hate scouting folders for reference files/textures.

11. saevitia

saevitia Duchess

Usually the names of the characters involved, but sometimes just keyboard smashes.

12. Arcturus Maple

Arcturus Maple Tiny Miniskirt Enthusiast

Mine are always an acronym followed by a number to indicate the files in a sequence.

For example: BSC 12 would be the twelfth file in Bedtime Stories Collection.

13. Activoid

Activoid Ace Artist

Lemme see if I can find some of my recent finer examples, every single one of which has literally NOTHING to do with the image...
    - boop1.png
    - pepperidgefarmremembers.psd
    - vivalarevolucion.png
    - somegayshitdotPNG.png
    - naaaaahhhbro.png
    - hollahollagitdolla.psd
    - youcantfaptothat.png
    - moredakka.png
    - comeatmebro.psd

I used to feel bad about my lame naming conventions and all this, until I met one of my fave artists, Karla Ortiz, and she mentioned that she names most of her files [things I don't even dare type here, but involve the f-word a lot]. LOL.

Arcturus Maple likes this.