How do you tell your family?

Discussion in 'Furry Conventions' started by Belatucadros, May 11, 2017.

1. Belatucadros

Belatucadros Totally customized title

I do plan on going to cons eventually, but how do you explain to your family/friend where you are going? I know my parents are going to be asking questions as to of why I'm spending the weekend in Pittsburgh... And I have no interest in telling them about the fandom. Thanks.

2. Yakamaru

Yakamaru Animu Wolf

If you don't know how your family will react, just don't.

Tell'em you're spending the time with a couple friends?

3. -AlphaLupi

-AlphaLupi The Fennec

You don't

If you have no interest in telling them about it, then don't tell them about it. It's not some horrible secret, but it's not their business either. You don't have to lie about where you are going/why you will be gone for the weekend, but you don't have to say it's a furry convention either.

I'm probably going myself this year (I really hope so), I'm planning on telling my family/friends I'm just off going to a geeky convention for computer nerds and the like. They won't pester me about it too much, but then again I have gone to similar events in the past (and I've been thinking out loud about DefCon next year, but I digress). Thankfully I could drive there though, if you need to get a ride from one of them then you'll probably have to say something. As long as you don't treat it like it's a bad thing and they won't act like it's one. Who knows? Maybe you could convince a friend or sibling to tag along.

4. WillowPaws

WillowPaws New Member

I just told my mother. She's finde with it. She doesn't know anything about the fandom... but she knows about fursuits and these cons where you wear then.
    If your parents ask, tell them its just some con you are going. Not a lie. Not too much said :)

Belatucadros likes this.
  5. wildhead_the_fox

wildhead_the_fox Wildhead L Fox

I would say to just tell them straight out. when I went to Anthrocon in 2015, I took my mother with me, I was 16 at the time but payed both our ways, she kept an open mind and had a good time herself! That's how I told them... by showing my art and showing the more benign selection of furries... for instance, show them how fursuiters and conventions donate time, money and assets to charities, animal shelters, etc. Show the positive aspects while still pointing out the negatives without siding there. try to convince them to your side and just be you!

Simo and Belatucadros like this.
  6. Ieatcrackersandjumpcliffs

Ieatcrackersandjumpcliffs Fighter of the Nightman

Ya don't. You just like Pittsburgh. Ya just do.

7. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox Well-Known Member

Simple: You put on your fursuit, then you run out to the lounge jumping around and screaming like a blabbering idiot and say mom, dad, I am a cartoon animal! I know you don't understand my new-found sexuality and identity, but this is who I am and you need to accept it! Now I'm going to a convention with others that feel the same way.

8. Yvvki

Yvvki Sassy lesser panda.

XDDD omg!

9. Xaroin

Xaroin the Contradictory

Here's what you do
    Step 1) e621.net
    Step 2) Rating:q
    Step 3) Save image of sexy anthro
    Step 4) "Accidentally" text it to them

Belatucadros likes this.
  10. Belatucadros

Belatucadros Totally customized title

Hah! That wouldn't go over very well...

11. Simo

Simo Skunk

Er, you might skirt the issue, and just say you always had this burning desire to see Pittsburgh! It has grown kinda hip, lots of trendy little shops, record stores, vintage clothes, and The Andy Warhol Museum is there.

But I'd be more prone to just tell them you're going to a furry con, and let them sort it out. Do they still pay the bills? That might be a mitigating factor, as they can guilt you with that, as parents do; tyranny of the purse strings, it is.

Belatucadros likes this.
  12. Aces

Aces Member

"Just to let you know, I'll be out of town for a few days while I'm at a nerd convention."

"Nerd Convention" works wonders, though my manager's son is a brony, so I don't have to explain that at work when I ask off. :p

Belatucadros likes this.