How to handle critiques?

Discussion in 'Art and Illustration' started by Kopatropa, Nov 12, 2017.

1. Kopatropa

Kopatropa Member

Sometime ago, I made a thread on DA asking for commission advice, and most of the replies were criticisms of my art. I'm still upset about it. It felt like my 5 years of art was bad and unappealing, considering it wasn't "commission quality".

I haven't been in a drawing mood for some time after, only having one piece come out during that time. I never thought my art was more than okay, and having people point out the copious flaws really hurt me.

I'm thinking about reopening again, but then it'll be like I ignored everyone who put me down.

Also, I've opened before that and got three clients, so I dunno why people said I shouldn't be doing this.

What do you do when a critique demotivates you?

2. Kebechet

Kebechet Member

People suck :/

When a critique demotivates me, I usually sulk for a little bit, but also try to study or figure out how I can make my art better. The critiques I got the most in the past, were that I needed to focus more on anatomy and less on detail work. I had a tendency to cover up my poor understanding of anatomy with lots of texture.

If you've gotten clients in the past, I wouldn't worry about it too much. There are always going to be jerks. They might have even been competition, thinking that you were going to get the clients they wanted. Try not to take everything they said to heart. If you get commissions, that speaks for itself.

W00lies likes this.
  3. W00lies

W00lies Member

I think an issue with DA is people go there to roast people... >_>; I watch a lot of art related stuff on youtube and every now and then I get a video of someone just being as ass and nit picking everything they see instead of giving advice. Often it came from people who are beginners and know nothing about anatomy.

Maybe next time, post one drawing and ask what can be improved. Specify in your description that you're not looking for people to just point out flaws but actually tell you how they would improve your creation. You are unfortunately going to need to put on a thick skin because to help you correct mistakes and improve your work with tips, people will also have to point out stuff.

Do you have your work posted on FA as well?

As got getting critiques myself, when I was younger I had a huge ego so It didn't affect me but man if I took my head out of my ass I would have improved way early rofl :p

4. KrissySempaiArt

KrissySempaiArt Mama Memester

Id say open them man . Do what makes you happy ! I didnt improve my art , which ive been doing for about 13 ish yeas until about 2 years ago . If you wanna get better , draw what is hardest for you do to . Thats what I did and its helped me a lot personally , everyone is different though . I hate to hear it killed your drive though , people can be rude a lot of the times without an actual critique in the work . People complain about the prices all the time or they complain about the art itself like they didnt know it going in ya know ? I really hope you get inspiration to draw again hun , and keep it up . Sometmes its hard to get clients , I get random bursts if them and then none for about a month or so . No offence to DA users since I use it to post on as wel , but a lot of those people seem to have some sort of jealousy issue , or some sort of problem with people wanting to succed in art for money , thinking all art should be free no matter the time , effort , or bills needing to be paid lol .

W00lies likes this.
  5. Quills And Spades

Quills And Spades Oh Boy, Here I Go, Arting Again!!

If a critique demotivates you it's because it wasn't a good critique, when you get critiques like that and start feeling down stop yourself because if what they said just made you feel bad they were probably trying to make you feel bad, or just found an excuse to tell you your art wasn't to their standards. Don't let that bog you done, if critiques aren't working for you take your improvements into your own hands, analyze the art of artists to admire and figure out what they're doing in their art and try to replicate that in your art, and like it was said above, challenge yourself.

It's nice to get critique and it'd be best to ask other artists you admire to do that from now on, it may seem nerve-wracking, but it's usually better than asking a bunch of amateur randos, that way you can get actual advice. Like it was also said above a lot of these people bogging you done are beginners and can't guide you

6. BahgDaddy

BahgDaddy Voice of reason

Critiques can be beneficial. Consider this - if you can draw anything, anything at all, you're way ahead of me, because I can't draw worth beans. Just never could. My paint by numbers looked like a small tornado with a crayon tried to do artwork.

I get critiques on writing sometimes. I toss out the insulting stuff and focus on the constructive stuff that I think will make me a better writer. Criticism and nay-saying are different things. Criticism with naysaying will have a snarky, put-down edge to it. Constructive criticism would be, I don't know, "Try using Photoshop CS5 in that area instead of program X," or "try improving anatomy," etc.

7. DoeDog

DoeDog Member

“Remember: It costs nothing to encourage an artist, and the potential benefits are staggering. A pat on the back to an artist now could one day result in your favorite film, or the cartoon you love to get stoned watching, or the song that saves your life. Discourage an artist, you get absolutely nothing in return, ever.”

Kevin Smith, Tough Shit: Life Advice from a Fat, Lazy Slob Who Did Good

A good thoughtful critique encourages to get better and put more effort, a mean one is as worthless as the one dishing it.

Kopatropa likes this.
  8. Kazibug

Kazibug Doodlebug

The problem a lot of people have when giving critique or constructive criticism is the "constructive" portion of it. If they're just pointing out flaws, then they aren't helping you improve. You kind of need to develop a thick skin and try to determine - "okay, is there actually a problem here, or are they just saying things to be a jerk?"

For example, if someone tells you "The eyes look funny" (which is a very poor way to give criticism by itself), take a step back and try to figure out why they said that. Are they uneven? Are the pupils different sizes? Are they sitting too high/low on the face? If you can't see what they're seeing and they give no solutions to fix it, then try to let it go, because there isn't a way you can better yourself from it

Most importantly: keep going! It can be difficult to pick yourself up after a harsh critique, but as it's been stated, if it brought you down as much as it did, it wasn't a good critique.

Definitely open your commissions! People clearly enjoy what your doing, and it's a great way to keep improving

9. loomou

loomou Your Local Art Nerd

I agree with pretty much everything thats been said here! Criticism is important and crucial for improvement but it should be constructive, reasonable, and most importantly something you understand and can leran from. Draw what you love and fuel it with passion and a drive to improve and just for the fun of it!

And if you want to open commissions go for it! You've had success in the past which is an indication that people do want your art. Don't be discouraged though, the marketplace is so vast but persistence and a lil bit of confidence will get you a long way.