How would you respond?

Discussion in 'Fursona Discussion' started by Crimson_Steel17, Feb 21, 2017.

1. Crimson_Steel17

Crimson_Steel17 The night is my solace; the day is my prime

Hey, I was doing some research so I could better understand the Furry community, and then I ended up creating a Fursona. My only problem is that I've never considered myself a Furry, so I don't know how to react to the feeling I got when my 'sona was complete (which I can't even describe... it was unlike any reaction I've really had before).

My question is: What do you think of an "outsider" who made a 'sona? Also, what advice do you have (embrace it, move on, etc.)? Given the way my folks act, I'm seriously in a situation here, and I need some help figuring out what comes next.

Thanks for whatever help you're willing to send my way. Any advice helps!

Reyna Malone likes this.
  2. Delta_Waffle

Delta_Waffle I like cheesecake

I guess I would say an outsider with a sona is ok. I also think that if you want to be a furry than embrace it. You don't have to tell people about it if you want. I don't tell people I'm a furry but if someone asks I'd tell them I was.

Reyna Malone likes this.
  3. Yakamaru

Yakamaru I stubbed my log on a car!

You can create an Avatar/Sona of whatever and not personally associate with the fandom/community/group the Avatar/Sona are inspired from.

4. Diretooth

Diretooth Dire Wolf and Dragon Therianthrope

Speaking as a person who, technically speaking, has a 'sona without considering themselves a Furry, you made art that you like, it's no different than if you were drawing it for a story. My avatar, and username, comes from a Werewolf character in a book I wrote. Given that said character takes a lot of aspects of myself as part of his characterization, it's only natural that I use him as an outward general persona.
    Don't get fixated on whether or not something makes you a furry, humans have been fascinated with anthropomorphism for millennia, it's nothing strange when you look at all of the legends and myths we have. Were-anything, youkai, even deities, it's just something that's been around since forever.
    Any form of 'sona, per or fur, will elicit an emotional reaction regardless of the type. It can be seeing yourself from a different perspective, or a different way of looking at the world. It can be an exploration of who you are and what makes you you, or it can be something you do for fun. It is what you make of it, Furry or not.

Reyna Malone likes this.
  5. Alex K

Alex K Guest

Bein a Creationist is nothin to be shamed of be proud

6. -AlphaLupi

-AlphaLupi The Fennec

We are all outsiders until we are not

Don't tell your folks if you're worried about their reaction, they don't need to know about your interests if you don't want to disclose them. If it makes you happy, I say embrace it. Go for it. Do whatever makes YOU happy and don't worry what others think.

7. Iriastar

Iriastar Rawr.

If I saw someone like that, I'd slowly bring them into it... they'll thank me later.
    It was just a matter of time before they found out. Unless they had been actively avoiding it. In which case I let them be.
    It's none of my concern whether someone likes anthros but doesn't want to associate with the community. In your case, however, it's a matter of getting accostumed to it. It can feel weird at first but you'll soon realize it's nothing to be worried about.

8. Crimson_Steel17

Well, I would like to thank everyone for the responses. I had a nice, long Twitter DM chat with a Furry YouTuber (Kothorix, IDK if you heard of him b/c I don't know y'all that well), and we came to the general consensus that it would be fun to run with it. So, here it is: my 'sona. Crimson Steel Final Concept.png

-AlphaLupi likes this.
  9. AlleycatIrony

AlleycatIrony dubstep macarena

i'm by no means a furry but i have a sona (sort of) and i enjoy drawing anthros just bc it's fun! so i'd say just do what u like, as long as ur enjoying urself that's all that matters :3c

and ur sona looks rly cool btw!

10. Crimson_Steel17

Thx!

AlleycatIrony likes this.
  11. SveltColt

SveltColt Well-Known Member

Hello.....

As a person who also wanted to know what a furry was.

You don't need to be a furry to have a fursona.

Crimson_Steel17 likes this.
  12. Keefur

Keefur aka Cutter Cat

Well, you have taken the first step. Technically, the definition of a Furry is a person who has a love of anthropomorphic animals. There are many manifestations of being a Furry, and there are those that don't involve making a fursona. You can just appreciate the art form through viewing or creation, you can appreciate the writings by reading or creation, you can like the Fursuiters or Fursuit yourself, you can even just be a fan of anthropomorphic cartoons like the Road Runner or Buggs Bunny. There are even more ways to be "classified" as a Furry, but I'm sure you have the idea by now.
    I wrote a short piece that was published in the book called Furries Among Us. It talks about what Fursuiting means to me in relation to the Fandom. I have a deep love of the Fandom. It means a great deal to my well being and happiness. When I first had an appreciation of anthropomorphism as anthropomorphism was back in 1976 while I was attending a Gen Con convention. There was no Fandom back then and I didn't discover the Fandom existed until 2009. When I finally found it, it was like a big hole in my life that I didn't know existed, suddenly filled up. You won't find a more open and accepting group anywhere.

Right now, you consider yourself an outsider because you are just coming to terms with the possibility of being a Furry. Trust me... you aren't an outsider and you will be just fine. It takes a bit of adjusting to the culture, but it doesn't take long. If you think your parents will have a problem with it, don't tell them at first. Just keep on doing what you like and when they eventually confront them about it, tell them it is like any other fandom like anime, or Star Trek and that it is just an appreciation of a particular thing, in this case animal anthropomorphism. Don't dwell on the subject, but don't avoid it. Above all, don't act embarrassed about it. Just act like it isn't a big thing. Your parents will most likely have one of those "Oh, OK" moments.

13. Sergei Sóhomo

Sergei Sóhomo Well-Known Member

You make a persona you're a furry

14. biscuitfister

biscuitfister Anyone want thier biscuit fisted?

JOIN OR DIE *holds gun at head*

Just playing do what ever you want man and just a piece of advice dont go around tellin people your a furry its just cringy

15. Crimson_Steel17

I kinda figured. The part of the forum rules that say to expect results like that if you do stuff like that was literally written in black and white

16. biscuitfister

biscuitfister Anyone want thier biscuit fisted?

Most people dont read the forums rules

17. Crimson_Steel17

Wouldn't you know it? I've been screwed over before...

18. Leoni Zheitk

Leoni Zheitk Guest

Why DID you make a 'sona?
    Were you just like "Eh, I'm bored, I'll make fursona."
    Or more like, "Hey, this stuff looks cool, I wanna do what they're doing."?

19. Crimson_Steel17

That's the thing... I don't know. What I DID discover, though, is that I actually quite enjoyed it

20. Leoni Zheitk

Leoni Zheitk Guest

As long as you enjoy what you're doing, it's cool.

(Unless it's hurting people, then you should stop...)

21. Crimson_Steel17

And THAT is the original reason for this thread... to make sure I WASN'T offending anyone

22. Leoni Zheitk

Leoni Zheitk Guest

People will get offended over the slightest things, it's just life.

Quote from my grandma: "There will always be people who love you, and there will always be people who hate you."

Quote from Kurt Cobain: "I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not."

23. Crimson_Steel17

Well, SJW Furries aside.
    Smells Like Team Spirit!

24. nerdbat

nerdbat Green butt of reason

Well, I wont :^)

25. Crimson_Steel17

That's fine by me... I think the gist is to just accept it already. I guess I'm a Furry? That feels so weird to type