How's my Art

Discussion in 'Tutorials and Critiques' started by Crazydaisy, Jan 7, 2017.

?

How's My Art

1. Excellent

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Very Good

1 vote(s)
    11.1%
  3. Good

2 vote(s)
    22.2%
  4. Fair

6 vote(s)
    66.7%
  5. Poor

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Crazydaisy

Crazydaisy Hey! You better watch out or you'll get hugs!

Now I've wondering, is my art bad? In Furry amino when I want to do an art trade, I get the same thing: "Cute, but that's not what I'm looking for" I've seen my artwork as a cartoonish style. And with that I feel many people are not going to like it. So for your opinion, What do you guys think? Its it good or bad and why?
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Userpage of crazydaisy -- Fur Affinity [dot] net My FA Profile

2. Sergei Sóhomo

Sergei Sóhomo Well-Known Member

It makes me very uneasy

3. Fallowfox

Fallowfox T-Tauri

I think it's a little flat and I note that the proportions of the characters change between frames. You should try drawing things from an isometric view sometime to practice perspective (yes, cartoons have perspective, or at least most that aren't south park), and I think it would benefit you to look at popular drawings of cartoon characters- their essential proportions are usually easily divisible into a discrete number of simple geometric shapes, and using those as guides could help you produce more convincing and consistent figures.

MrFranco likes this.
  4. MadKiyo

MadKiyo Villainous Fly

I'm not saying this is the problem in its entirely, but the program you are using is part of what makes this so reminiscent of drawings kids would leave in the computer in MS paint lab after finishing work. Lots of flat, saturated colors and stiff edges.

5. Crazydaisy

Crazydaisy Hey! You better watch out or you'll get hugs!

More like this? drive.google.com: Fat Bar.png

6. Xaroin

Xaroin Sprsh

SHADING (something I'm working on) makes art look SO MUCH BETTER. I'm still trying to figure out gradients 100%, but throw down some darker spot on wherever something is above it

7. insomniverse

insomniverse Join the Tomato Cult

(Bit of a long post, sorry mate!!)

Since it's comic/cartoon style, I won't mark you down much for technical skill (bc honestly what 'Sunday's funnies' cartoonist actively displays technical skill lol). The main focus is the story. If you have a good story, you're halfway there. However, to make the story clearer, you might wanna study up on line weight, composition, and color theory.

In a couple of the panels you showed, there's some distracting tangents that mess w the flow and feel of the panel, which can be corrected by altering the composition a bit. The color can make things confusing at times as well, so minor adjustments could be made there as well. As for line weight, it would help to give your drawings visual hierarchy so people'll know where to look.

Personally, I think the story looks pretty interesting. You seem to put a lot of effort into each of the characters' personalities, and it shows. The actual artwork does make the story a little bumpy at times though. Regardless, you're on the right track! A lil studying and you'll be a-ok!

8. insomniverse

insomniverse Join the Tomato Cult

Also, for study material I'd reccommend combing through the @hamm_tips twitter account. It's got loads of useful lil art tidbits!

9. PlusThirtyOne

PlusThirtyOne What DOES my username mean...?

Diversify your color pallet and brush size. Your lines are sharp and stiff. Thinner, anti-aliased line art and softer, more varied colors would go a LONG way.

10. Rykhoteth

Rykhoteth I AM A HUGE JIAN PLEASE BREAK MY LEGS

There should be a good supply of books out there for making comic-material, specifically.

11. Caryatid

Caryatid Καρυάτις,

I think working with saturation levels is something you can try and improve on–usually, when you're making a piece, you want the focus of the image, such as the character, to stand out from the background, and one way of doing this is by toning down the colors/value of the background so that your characters can stand out. If all parts of the picture is bright colors, it can confuse the viewer and leave them feeling kind of uneasy because it doesn't lead the eye to a specific place.
    For an example, here's a quick fix suggestion I made for one of your pieces above. I made the background a little more grey looking so that the bright colors of the characters will stand out. Also, since it seems like you make comics, a good thing to think about in regards to color is what the mood and emotion you're trying to establish–bright, warm colors usually connote a happier, fun mood, dark colors and cool blues are more associated with sadness, and neon and clashing colors promote a sense of weirdness and uneasiness.

Attached Files:

• fix.jpg
      fix.jpg
      File size:
      24.9 KB
      Views:
    PlusThirtyOne likes this.
  12. PlusThirtyOne

PlusThirtyOne What DOES my username mean...?

VERY good example! This is precisely what i was aiming for on the topic of color variation.