I don't get many views, is it because my writing is bad?

Discussion in 'Tutorials & Critiques' started by Shadowmoo, Apr 2, 2017.

1. Shadowmoo

Shadowmoo New Member

Userpage of m0nkeysensei -- Fur Affinity [dot] net

Chapter 1: www.furaffinity.net: When the past catches up to you. Chapter 1(rough) by m0nkeysensei

So far I have 7 chapters but only 35 views on chapter 1.

The general premise is a mouse is committed to an insane asylum for unspecified crimes and the turmoils of mental illness. Eventually possibly leading to redemption and insight or darker places.
    I draw heavily from my own experiences with mental illness and my mental world.

Themes of violence, mental illness, and a bit of medical and chemical restraints.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2017
    Simo likes this.
  2. reptile logic

reptile logic An imposter among aliens.

You're not alone. Most folks are there, and on related sites, for the pictures.

I tend to get a short flurry of views right after I put a picture up; to help sell my current book. I'm sure that most of those viewers don't look past the picture, but maybe they will notice the book somewhere else and then take another look.

Ravofox likes this.
  3. Yakamaru

Yakamaru No "Awooo'ing" allowed

Writing in general is more of a niche interest. A lot of people simply aren't interested in reading when they can instead look at art.

Though we do also have a lot of people who love reading out there.

Ravofox likes this.
  4. Jarren

Jarren What doesn't kill me makes me stranger.

Pretty pictures attract more attention than perfect prose. Not a lot of people are here for the writing and those that are normally go for people they are already familiar with or for niche/fetish material and general smut.

More eye catching thumbnails can help as can networking with others to try and promote yourself, but just flinging a story at the site and hoping for the best will probably only get you ~30 views and maybe a comment or fave.

5. FluffyShutterbug

FluffyShutterbug A Vulpine Photographer

Interestingly, I wrote a kink story a few nights ago, and it's already gotten 48 views and three favorites. Maybe it also has to do with content, as well.

6. FluffyShutterbug

FluffyShutterbug A Vulpine Photographer

But, yeah. I feel your pain. Writing is the only "art" I'm good at, besides photography...

Ravofox likes this.
  7. Andromedahl

Andromedahl Unlicensed UFO Pilot

This. Kinks and fetishes get attention.

Ravofox and FluffyShutterbug like this.
  8. Royn

Royn Otterest Sergal evah!

Sadly, the above statements are completely true. Child minded Humans want pretty and cool looking pictures to relieve the pressure on their tiny brains caused by having to actually process the written word....

FluffyShutterbug likes this.