I have a predicament.

Discussion in 'Tutorials and Critiques' started by KoolenKitKat, Apr 26, 2017.

1. KoolenKitKat

KoolenKitKat New Member

I have no Wacom Tablets, no scanners, no (advanced) art skills. How would I go about drawing digital art? I need to practice my drawing, too. So if anyone knows furry-specific drawing tutorials, that'd be a nice thing to put in your reply, too. Thanks! :D

EDIT: This looks repetitive, sorry about that. *cringe*

2. Rykhoteth

Rykhoteth I AM A HUGE JIAN PLEASE BREAK MY LEGS

Get good at taking photos, or otherwise you're stuck critiquing your own work for practice. For 50$ you can get a portable scanner ("wand")... or a drawing tablet (upwards of 80$)... or a used flatbed scanner (I got mine free). Don't attempt anything with the mouse. Wacom's prices went through the roof because they can, I bought mine new for 50$ many years back. The alternative brands are supposed to be pretty decent, and the Wacom features are kind of redundant when you're using a decent program eg Krita or can be done otherwise (...just tape some paper over the tablet for texture. Wacom's stuff is over-engineered these days). Supposedly Wacom is durable enough they're good to buy used, but, if I had to replace mine I'd shoot for a new one from one of the alternatives since it would still be half the price and probably a larger model, specifically I myself was thinking of replacing my Wacom with either a new Monoprice or a Hurion.

There isn't much for "furry specific" drawing tutorials beyond what are essentially style guides, eg Fur outlines and headshapes, which you can find on the subforums here.

3. xofrats

xofrats The cat said what?

You can try making vector art. You can make that with your mouse :3
    I have heard that Inkscape Draw Freely | Inkscape is very good for that, but I have never tried it myself.

kidchameleon likes this.
  4. Sergei Sóhomo

Sergei Sóhomo Well-Known Member

You could always go the cheapo route and do traditional art then snap a photo of it and use a program like Paint.net or GIMP to digitize it

5. exobiologickitten

exobiologickitten New Member

Until I got my first tablet, I used to laboriously photograph or scan drawings to my mum's computer, put them on a usb, then transfer them to my laptop to upload. These days an iPhone camera does much the same thing in a fraction of the time! It's 100% possible to work traditionally and still be able to share it online, don't worry!

If you're really determined to go the digital route, though, then consider if you'll need a tablet or if you can use a mouse. Both tools will require practice and learning to use - tablets aren't a magic fix, you still need to get used to it and reroute your hand-eye coordination a bit. I prefer tablets, but many folks like mice, so that's something to consider. I don't know how mouse artists recreate pen pressure for paintings, though.
    You can download a lot of free software for art, such as GIMP or Inkscape. My favourite program is a lot like Photoshop and about as powerful - Manga Studio 5. You'd be dropping at least $50 for the cheaper version, though, so that's a bit of an investment, but still cheaper than purchasing PS! At this stage I wouldn't recommend dropping lots of money on tools or programs if you're just trying it out.

If you want a tablet, it's definitely possible to get cheaper tablets around $50-$100 - be sure to research and shop around. I can't recommend any myself though, as I've only ever used Wacom tablets. They're definitely great, but also expensive, and you might want to start off with something cheaper in case you decide tablets aren't for you. Nothing worse than dropping $200+ on a tablet only to end up have it sit around collecting dust.

Above all, practice is key! Which goes for general drawing skills too :) before I started working 100% on my tablet, I still sketched and practised a lot on physical paper. I definitely recommend hanging on to traditional skills - nothing worse than getting too reliant on command-z!
    Until I got used to my tablet I used to draw base sketches on paper, scan them, and line/colour them digitally. It was good while getting used to using it, and also preserved my traditional skills. That might be something that could work for you too, while learning to use digital tools.

I'm afraid none of this is furry-specific, but I hope it helps a little bit :) good luck!

Last edited: Apr 30, 2017
  6. aepaex

aepaex New Member

I got a Monoprice tablet a few years ago for $40 and it still works great. I just checked and they're actually having a sale rn too, with the smallest model costing $12. There are also a bunch of free digital art programs out there (FireAlpaca, Medibang, and Krita come to mind) that you can download.

If you want to draw traditional art and scan it in, I believe there's an app called CamScanner that works pretty well.

7. msgrandpabacon

msgrandpabacon Active Member

8. Rykhoteth

Rykhoteth I AM A HUGE JIAN PLEASE BREAK MY LEGS

Ha ha! That's the one I have! I picked it up at ... Target? On a whim. It was on clearance for like 40$ about a decade ago. Amazing to see Wacom's prices now.

It's a little cramped though. More than a little cramped. This is why I'd nowadays pay for a larger tablet even if it only lasts a few years.

msgrandpabacon likes this.
  9. msgrandpabacon

msgrandpabacon Active Member

Yeah it is a little cramped, but I mostly draw for fun so it doesn't bother me too much.

Rykhoteth likes this.
  10. Pipistrele

Pipistrele Smart batto!

Well, that's how Alexander Gromov of Romantically Apocalyptic fame got popular - take some images from GIS, add photos of dudes in costumes, smudge it in Photoshop, and you're an instant professional artist :cool:

11. Tigers-on-Unicycles

Tigers-on-Unicycles National Treasure

Same: My first tablet was a monoprice, only $50 for the largest size at the time, and it lasted 5 years before needing to be replaced. I even dropped the damn thing several times, thought of course I'm not suggesting anybody do that XD

12. Tavelius

Tavelius New Member

For digital art, a tablet is a must. If there's none available, like they said above, drawing on paper and scan it is the way to go, but I would go even further. With the traditional sketch, you can go into a vector application like Inkscape, as mentioned above, and trace the art with the pen tool. I have tried that in my earlier days and it was serviceable. The trick is to not draw a vector and stroke it, but manually create a vector around the lines to manually apply thickness, that way you can set harsher lines for darker areas and thinner for lighter. After the lineart is traced, filling in the color should be simple, and you can also do some neat work with gradients for shading. But of course, most of this would also be possible with a tablet, and as it was stated, they are quite affordable, and don't need to be too large to be efficient.