Icon changing issues?

Discussion in 'Site Discussion' started by ArtbyRel, Apr 30, 2017.

1. ArtbyRel

ArtbyRel New Member

Is anyone else not able to change their icons (on the main site, not on the forums)? I've tried on multiple browsers, and I'm getting the same error message: "Fatal system error! The file type was not recognized."

I've opened a trouble ticket, but I was just wondering if anyone else was experiencing a similar issue.

2. FluffyShutterbug

FluffyShutterbug A Foxy Femboy Photographer

Okay, this is probably the best I can do, but what file type are you attempting to use? There's a list somewhere of the supported file types. Also, how big is the image you're attempting to use? The icon can't be larger than 100px on FA and 200px on FAF.

3. ArtbyRel

ArtbyRel New Member

The icons are already uploaded. If they weren't a supported file type or were too big, there would be an error message when I try to upload them. It's when I try to click on them to change the image that it gives me an error.

4. FluffyShutterbug

Hmm... Well, it takes a very long time for trouble tickets to be answered, so I might recommend PM-ing someone who's well-versed in tech, like my friend jayhusky. Just tell him that I sent ya. :)

5. FluffyShutterbug

Oh, wait... I have one more piece of advice. Are you trying to use an image that's not saved on your computer? Because I've only used images that are already saved on my computer and treat icons like an upload, if that makes any sense.

6. jayhusky

jayhusky Well-Known Member

With Icons (as in avatars), it is wise to save them as a JPEG file with the .jpg extension, at 100px by 100px resolution. GIF can also work, but quality will be lost.
    The "fatal system error: file type not recognised" error is due to the file not passing it's type correctly.
    If you are attempting to upload an image you downloaded direct from the web, either via pasting the URL into the upload dialog box or just a simple download>save>upload method, occasionally the mime type can be corrupted or lost.

try opening the file on paint or other imaging software and save as noted above. then try to upload.

If the file has already made it to the server but won't change for you, user icons are updated once a day during off peak hours, to reduce load on the server.

7. ArtbyRel

ArtbyRel New Member

Thanks for your help!

The files are on my computer, not downloaded from anywhere. They're both 100x100 px gif files, and they both worked in the past. I just tried using a .png, and it worked just fine, so it appears to be a gif only problem. The gif icons also can't be deleted from my personal icon gallery, but the .png can be.

My only issue with using a .png or .jpg icon is that transparency is lost.

8. FluffyShutterbug

Oh. I had the same sort of quirk with my own avatar icon. The background around her is supposed to be blank, but once I saved it, it changed to black.

9. ArtbyRel

ArtbyRel New Member

Yes, that happens with .jpg and .png files. You have to use a gif file if you want to maintain transparency.

FluffyShutterbug likes this.
  10. jayhusky

That is interesting, that could be an issue with how the site renders the gif file then, as that shouldn't happen.
    Regardless of the file type you upload the site converts them into a gif format to be used on the site, but to my knowledge gif does not support full transparency, only PNG does.

I uploaded my avatar a while back as a PNG file and it kept the transparency, I'll post a link below to show.
    The best way to keep transparency on avatar uploads is to upload as PNG-24

But looking back at the original issue, it looks as if it could be how the site is parsing the file is where it is failing. Only the coders will know if that is the case at all, and you did the right thing by bringing it up as a TT on the mainsite.
    My only other advice would be to wait until they respond, there isn't much else you can do.

Link to my avatar, uploaded as PNG with transparency still intact: [​IMG]

11. ArtbyRel

ArtbyRel New Member

I appreciate all your help! It appears that the issue is only affecting two specific gif icons, because I can use a different gif icon. It's very strange. I updated the trouble ticket and asked them to just remove those two gif icons from my personal icon gallery since they're causing trouble. Maybe their files got corrupted on my computer somehow. Whatever the case, at least I have an icon now! Haha.

And that's interesting about the .png. Whenever I upload transparent .png files, FA converts the background to black instead of leaving the transparency intact. I'll play around with it and see if I can get a .png to stay transparent.

12. FluffyShutterbug

This is completely off topic, but I've always loved your scarf/neckerchief Jay. :3

13. jayhusky

That sounds then like some data within the file was corrupt. Hopefully FA Staff will be able to remove the problematic files. However avatar galleries are private to the user, so nobody except you can see them (from the mainsite), FA staff with server access could see them in the filesystem and db however.

I don't know if it will work, but try saving initially as a PNG with transparency, then reopen the PNG and save as a new GIF file and it may fix the issue with transparent BG's for you.

Thank you :)

FluffyShutterbug likes this.