Improvement? Other Critique Forums?

Discussion in 'Tutorials and Critiques' started by Maylehh, May 29, 2017.

1. Maylehh

Maylehh New Member

So, after years of creating this account, I decided to actually use it to talk to other furries/artists.

I want to improve and that has been the focus of most of my drawings for the past year. While I realize that's not the healthiest thing in the world, it's still something that means a lot to me. Is this forum a good place to get art critique and are there other good forums to go to for that? I don't have many people in my personal life to talk to about my art and it's frustrating when I feel directionless down my path of improvement. I wish I was able to take private art lessons but I haven't been able to find a tutor in my area. I know drawing every day helps but that makes easy for me to just keep drawing the same way when I want to move on from my simple/cartoony style.

Any help is appreciated.
    If you want to see my art, this is my furaffinity: Userpage of maylehh -- Fur Affinity [dot] net

2. Rykhoteth

Rykhoteth I AM A HUGE JIAN PLEASE BREAK MY LEGS

There's more advanced art forums, and then there's furry forums. The best overlap I've seen might have actually been 8chan's fur board. Otherwise there isn't much of a mix out there for critiques.

If you want to move on from your style, then there's nothing stopping you but doing things differently. Looks like you've got simple construction and somewhat practiced cartoony lineart. Grab a bunch of nature photos and stuff, and try some old-fashioned sketching what you see. You'll pick up on bits here and there. All style is derived from realism, it's just choosing what you want to emphasize with understanding the underlying real object. Generally speaking it's a worthwhile detour than immediately jumping to trying to copy someone else's style.