In need of a critique

Discussion in 'Tutorials and Critiques' started by Kipekee Reddington, Jul 14, 2017.

1. Kipekee Reddington

Kipekee Reddington All American Flying Foxdog

2. Dmc10398

Dmc10398 riding against the wind

I think your art is very nice, but I think it's pretty hard to critique someone else's art/talent anyhow. I think it really depends on what style or direction you're looking to go in...

3. Kipekee Reddington

I'm going in a cartoony direction.
    I don't think critiques really depend on the style, all forms of art share some of the same principles, no matter what style it is. Lineart, anatomy, structure, color, shading, etc.

4. Kipekee Reddington

5. Kipekee Reddington

Geez, how come no one on here ever replies to my threads..?

I would still love some feedback.

6. lemonlunch

lemonlunch New Member

Lots of things to say here
    1: Your subject is too stale. If you truly want to push your art to the next level, then try drawing more dynamic poses and interactions.
    hw: draw some of your characters by heavily referencing www.youtube.com: CroquisCafe Pick any pose and super impose your character

2: Composition: it seems you drew all of your characters without composition in mind. The shape language and presentation is forgettable.
    hw: Do a couple bg silhouette copies from https://film-grab.com/, find creative ways to insert your characters in it somehow. Start like this: [​IMG]
    It's very clear that you're not into landscapes, but portraits can follow the exact format. Block out basic shapes and lighting schemes, rendering and line comes last.
    In order to get good shape language burnt in your head, at least a couple hundred studies are required.

3. Your line work is amateur. They have no variation and are easily predicable. Add texture and add implied lines. Remember exterior lines have heavier line weight than interior ones.
    hw: Do a master copy of any experimental animator. I recommend www.shiyoonkim.com: PERSONAL WORK for a start.

4. Anatomy and proportions: ugh this is hard to fix. Unrealistic and cartoony proportions are totally fine, but being inconsistent is not. Keep drawing and look into more fig drawing books like hampton's. Most importantly, sketch live animals with reference! It's not cheating to use photos for study.

Don't be discouraged though, you have excellent craft and the willingness to take critiques. Keep arting and study!

elvenboyslut likes this.