Inktober! Post here!

Discussion in 'Art and Illustration' started by Reserved_Krolik, Oct 1, 2017.

1. Reserved_Krolik

Reserved_Krolik Active Member

I gotta get to work on mine... This year, I cobbled together a list of prompts from some random generators.

2. Reserved_Krolik

Okay, I finished todays! inktober2017_1_web.png
    I was asked if I was going to continue last year’s “Dream” inktober theme, and I decided I would, integrating my prompt list into it. Drawn on a sketch card.Because honestly, those are easier to scan than a sketchbook

3. Reserved_Krolik

Here's mine, for Day 2! I wanna see other people's too![​IMG]

4. Eiliakins

Eiliakins New Member

Awww, that winged cat in that day 2 drawing is so cute! I'm a sucker for winged fantasy animals. eue You designed it for this drawing or is this an older OC?

But no one else has posted here? Wow! I would have expected several pages worth of drawings by now. D: Well, I could join in the fun too and hopefully more will follow! :> *Beckons at all the other artists here*

I don't wanna spam everything I've done thus far so I'll just post today's drawing; a creepy monster mermaid with loopy eyes and LOTS of glowy baubles. I'm using the "official" list of themes myself!

Day 4: Underwater

[​IMG]

5. Reserved_Krolik

Thank you! The cats aren't OCS, but I guess you could say the mask kid is? The cat's were directly inspired by Ursula Leguin's "Catwings" books. I haven't read them since I was a kid, but they made an impression. I love your work! What did you use to make it? My scanner had a bit of a hiccup yesterday, but I'm gonna see if I can get it working today... If not I'll take photos of 3,4,5 today.

6. Eiliakins

Eiliakins New Member

Ohh, I see! They look like they easily could be made into OCs. :> And oh! The mask kid look neat too! If I didn't know better, I could easily have thought that was the cover of a small comic.

And oh, sorry! Yes, I'm doing Inktober digitally because I don't have space to store 31 traditional drawings/paintings in my room. xD (Yay for living with your parents and only having your little room for everything you own.) As for the program/tools, I use PaintTool Sai and a Wacom Cintic.

But hopefully you'll be able to scan yours! I just got into working my day 5 drawing myself. :>

7. Reserved_Krolik

Whoo-hoo! My scanner is behaving now! I shouldn't be surprised, I've had it for 6 years, and I inherited it from my late Grandpa. Also the cat sleeps on it. I haven't finished my Day 5, but here's 3 and 4![​IMG] [​IMG]

8. Reserved_Krolik

As a comic artist, that's a compliment!
    That's cool! What program did you use? I usually use photoshop or krita for digital coloring, but I'm always on the lookout for new art programs. That's how I found my beloved Medibang Paint.

9. Eiliakins

Eiliakins New Member

Oooh! you got them scanned! (Eeee! Cats!) Sweet! Oh gosh, that first one is so cool! Loving how the clown thing fades into the shadows. :D Poor mask boy! And the dragon one is fun too. I took a moment to realize it was sideways and for a moment thought it was a dragon head coming out of another, big-nosed dragon's mouth and was super confused. xD I like how his face looks!

And oh yes! I use PaintTool Sai. It's not free but it's pretty cheap. I've been using the 1.2 version for several years! It's especially good for lineart and painting~. (2.0 is also coming out eventually and from what I've seen from beta testing it, it looks promising too!) Highly recommended!

I tried Krita once but I found its tool system a bit too complex to my liking and Photoshop is... I hate monthly payments. xD Medibang is nice too, though! I like to use it for creating text, smoke effects and random textures. :> OH! And the symmetry brushes are gorgeous!

10. Casty

Casty The Nabmancer.

I'm doing the inktober stuff - I normally ink my work traditionally anyway so lol:

Here's the live shots of a few of them. I have done more but they're already colored.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. Pipistrele

Pipistrele Smart batto!

Nothing special, but I'm still having some fun with it. I don't have enough time to elaborate on daily drawings, so yeah :<

Attached Files:

Reserved_Krolik likes this.
  12. Reserved_Krolik

:D Well, the mask kid is... neither confirmed to be male or female? Yeah, I think the dragon one got a little limited due to the size of the sketchcard... The bridge ended up taking more space than I wanted.

Krita does take a while to get used to, I made a huge effort to figure it out a few years ago, though. I have trouble with tutorials, a lot. I like it because it kind of mimics Corel Painter.

I have an old version of Photoshop! CS2, I think. I used to have an even older version I had gotten on eBay for $15 though... 6 or 7. I was sad when I updated my computer and it wouldn't run anymore.

I might give Paint Tool Sai a try!

13. Reserved_Krolik

That's amazing!

14. Reserved_Krolik

Very nice! How did you make them all wiggly? That's a really cool effect!

15. lyar

lyar Its not the human race, its just the human race

What do you guys use to ink? Because I don't think what I have will produce that sort of result. All I have are some uniball pens

16. Eiliakins

Eiliakins New Member

Oh wow! This place suddenly got lively! Hurray!

@Casty Those look great! Especially loving that dino creature! Looks like something that might run at you in a video game! : D

@Pipistrele Yours are super nice too! I'm loving that first character! Hidden face + sharp teeth is such a nice combo with that fluttery animation! : o

@Reserved_Krolik Oh gosh! Sorry! I wasn't even thinking about their gender. 8'D (Yay for my native language having only a gender-neutral pronoun which often has me default to calling everyone a "he" in English unless they're obviously feminine. x'D )
    Though I feel you with limited sizes in traditional art. D: But the picture looks great so all is fine! I don't feel the cut is awkward, I was just caught off by the angle. xD

Though quickly a note on Sai! Version 1.2 might not work if you have Windows 10! Some people say it does if you go through some freaky computer-y measures, but for me it never did work. (Got a separate Windows 7 laptop for art only because of this) but the upcoming Sai 2.0 will work (and the Beta does work) on Windows 10. : o The beta is free for everyone who has the Sai 1.2 license.
    Just a heads-up if you end up giving it a try with the free trial!

Oh, and since I don't do these traditionally, I'll leave the pen question to you traditional-art people. xDD

(Almost done with my Day 5 picture. It has a lot of tedious details even if it's just one character. x'''D)

Pipistrele and Reserved_Krolik like this.
  17. Eiliakins

Eiliakins New Member

Annnnd finally done!
    [​IMG]
    Left the shading a bit messy because I'm drained from drawing that armour and ALL THAT BRAID. NEVER AGAIN BRAID. HELP ME.
    But have an undead paladin who mourns his (yes, his. No mistake this time. xD ) wife by letting his grow and grow and grow. I actually researched hair growth to figure out how long it would be after 40 years. 5 metres is a LOT of hair to braid.

Pipistrele and Reserved_Krolik like this.
  18. fallout19980

fallout19980 Just some guy writing stories and playing dota

19. Reserved_Krolik

Well, I use a Kuretake Brush pen and a Cheapy "Platinum Preppy" Fountain pen. It takes work, but it is possible to get a good result with a ballpoint, even... though for the thick lines I use, those were done with a brush pen.

20. Reserved_Krolik

Hmmm... I've got Windows 10, and I'm not surprised. A LOT of stuff doesn't work too well on it. -_- Sadly, this computer came with it. But, I'll try to check out the beta if I can!

21. Reserved_Krolik

Wow, that braid! o_O;;

22. Reserved_Krolik

23. Reserved_Krolik

Finally got to scanning it! It's been a busy day. #5![​IMG]

24. Pipistrele

Pipistrele Smart batto!

Aw, thanks a lot! I like your entries a lot too. The wiggle effect is simple - I just redraw the thing 3-4 times using original drawing as an overlay, then save all the frames separately and combine it into a GIF .u. It's rather tedious, but looks much better than various automatic plugins (which mostly turn the whole thing into a mess).
    Hey, thank you too! The original owner of the char is jenisgoth from DA (1, 2, 3) - kinda fell in love with the char (I'm a huge fan of simplistic-yet-effective character designs), so I decided to draw it first and foremost.

25. fallout19980

fallout19980 Just some guy writing stories and playing dota

more like a finished thing. I started out late and couldn't finish the whole thing, so I just settled with basic ink.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2017