Instamorph Moldable Plastic Head?

Discussion in 'Fursuiting and Costuming' started by cyborgdeer, Aug 30, 2017.

1. cyborgdeer

cyborgdeer New Member

Okay. So, I'm not making a conventional fursuit.
    For one thing, it will require no fur whatsoever. Because my character is insectoid with an exoskeleton.
    I was going to make her a mayfly, however, she ended up being sort of a mix of different species of bugs.
    Anywho, I found a cosplay website that suggests making armor out of something called worbla and from there I found a product called Instamorph.
    What instamorph is, is basically a non-toxic plastic that melts into a sort of moldable putty when placed in very hot water. It sets after like 15 minutes after being removed from the water into a hard, strong plastic.
    This product sounds almost too good to be true. lol. I am really considering ordering it online off of Amazon.
    Well, my question is, do you think I will be able to use this product to make a realistic insect head?
    I made a mold for my insect head on a styrofoam head out of plasticine. It looks really good so far.
    I will flatten the instamorph over the the mask and sculpt details out of it.
    I think this might work if I make the plastic thin enough to not be heavy?
    I just found this product online a couple days ago and have never worked with it.
    If I can't use it for my mask though, I think it would also be perfect for marionette (string puppet) construction.
    So do you think this could work?

2. Kellan Meig'h

Kellan Meig'h Kilted Coder

I would refrain from using it for a exoskeleton head. If left in a warm area, it will begin to soften/deform again. Not exactly stable stuff.

If it were me, I would read up on vacuform techniques and go that way.

-..Legacy..- likes this.
  3. -..Legacy..-

-..Legacy..- Active Member

Thin sheets of ABS can be molded with a cheap Harbor Freight heatgun into many shapes with enough patience.

I recommend going slow and staying 8-12" away, low heat, keep the nozzle moving to avoid boiling. If you intend on painting it, I recommend Krylon Fusion as it actually bonds to plastics better than regular paint.