Is depression real?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Aleksion, Mar 8, 2017.

1. Aleksion

Aleksion They killed me

But doesn't the body get its protein from breaking down skeletal muscles? Also I don't see from the evolutionary standpoint how getting depressed and loosing will to live as soon as you don't find food would had helped us to survive.

ps I'm not an expert, but I have heard insulin prevents muscle and fat breakdown and elevated insulin levels are caused by constantly eating sugary foods to which our ancestors did not have access. I could be wrong here though. If it was true, then again what you put in your mouth is your choice, thus depression is a choice

2. quoting_mungo

quoting_mungo Administrator Staff Member

That conclusion is incredibly rude, and victim-blaming. First off, even IF diet was a surefire way to avoid falling into depression (which is highly doubtful), the only way it can be called a choice in any meaningful way is if the individual is aware, or could reasonably be expected to be aware, of the consequences. If someone has a deathly severe peanut allergy that they're blissfully unaware of, and dies from anaphylactic shock after eating a PB&J sandwich, that's an accidental death, not suicide. They didn't CHOOSE to eat something harmful to them, though they chose to eat that sandwich.

Second, depression alters your thinking. Even short of the extremes Kezi was talking about where suicide starts looking like a rational choice, a person in the grip of depression does not think/reason the same way that person did before their illness, nor do they think/reason the same way on and off medication, if they're taking antidepressants. It often takes significant time for someone to seek help for their depression because depression itself warps the person's thinking in a way that makes them less prone to seeking help. That does NOT mean they are choosing to feel that way, nor that they don't want to get better. It just means that depression is a dirty liar who is very good at convincing people that they are not deserving of help, or that others surely need that help more than they do. Please don't do its job for it, by spouting the same kind of bullshit it does.

3. Aleksion

Aleksion They killed me

That would be a freak accident.

I was talking about depression not psychosis, where people don't even realize they are in altered state of consciousness. Depressed known something isn't alright and they know chocolate and soda diet isn't healthy, so perhaps there could be a connection between how they eat and how they feel. Emotionally disturbed people are still capable of rational thinking, if they were not, we would need much more psych wards

4. quoting_mungo

quoting_mungo Administrator Staff Member

Yes, and? They chose to eat something that turned out to be harmful to their health, but which they had no prior knowledge would cause them any harm. Same thing if a low-protein diet contributes to someone developing depression - they chose to eat that food, but they did not know it could damage their health to do so.

Actually, that's only half true. Depression creeps up on people, and it's quite common for someone to not realize there's been a change, as it's a nefarious, gradual thing.

Except "chocolate and soda diet" is a far ways removed from "a diet short on protein" which is what Kezi was talking about - you can eat a "healthy" diet of, say, salads and fruit, and get far too little protein. You also have the problem of eating, especially sweet foods, releasing reward chemicals in the brain. So if there's any connection being noticed between how a depressed person eats and how they feel, it's more likely to be "snacking on sweets is the only thing that seems to make me feel alright, anymore."

You're treating "rational" as a binary with a given right and wrong answer. It's not nearly that simple.

Say you accidentally slice your palm preparing dinner. You'll probably go to the ER or an urgent care facility, even if you can mostly stop the bloodflow by putting pressure on it. Well, as you're in the car being driven to the ER by some nice helpful person in your life, you hear on the car radio that there's been a major accident at a local factory, and dozens of workers are being taken to the ER to be treated for burns or crush injuries or what have you - things that are obviously going to get triaged as more urgent than your injury.

You might decide to go anyway, and resign yourself to waiting while the hospital staff deal with the more serious injury. You might decide to go home and wait, and go in to have it looked at in a few hours, when you expect the worst of the rush from the industrial accident will have died down. Or you might decide to go home and just not bother at all; you'll end up with an ugly scar on your palm but so what? There are people who'll die without care so your injury isn't really that big of a deal in the grand scheme of things. ALL of these are rational decisions. I've got an ugly-ass scar on my leg that should probably have gotten stitches but ended up just getting home first aid because fuck knows why (I was like five at the time and I don't know my mother's reasoning). It didn't kill me. It didn't even get infected. Clearly going without expert medical care made no great difference in the long run beyond the aestethic.

The problem with the shift in thought that comes from depression is that you become more likely to pick that last option, to mind yourself the best you can and not take up resources that someone else might be able to use better. And you're more likely to believe that others would have better use of those resources. If your referral gets lost in the shuffle you'll patiently wait because you know they've got a lot to do and they'll let you know when it's your turn, right? This is rational thought based on a flawed premise (that it's a given that others have it worse and that their needs should therefore trump yours indefinitely). It's not psychosis, and it's not grounds for involuntarily committing someone, but it IS something that often interferes with depressed people self-advocating and seeking help as much as they should.

5. Kezi Avdiivka

Kezi Avdiivka Active Member

Yes, it does get it's protien from breaking them down, however. That kinda takes time, and we are talking about Stress burning off the neurotransmitters, so you can see why the brain does what it does because it believes a life or death situation OR a life altering event is possibly taking place, we need dopamine and norepinephrine liek, nao.

Also Depression happens from dietary deficiencies gradually over time. It is why they say stress kills....because it literally does. Sacrificing a few neurons to fuel more important ones during stressful situations is normal and fine, the brain can replace them. If it happens too much, then it's a cumulative effect.

Also no depression is not a choice jesus God almighty, noone wants to feel horrid. Not everyone has the knowledge or access too adequate food supplies.

6. Andromedahl

Andromedahl Unlicensed UFO Pilot

I was pretty badly emotionally disturbed more than once in my life and sure af did not have rational thinking. Or at least, I had a thought 'process' but it was highly, highly skewed to a point where it ain't rational.

7. Revates

Revates I'm Gay

How can depression be real if our brains aren't real?

Lcs likes this.
  8. Leoni Zheitk

Leoni Zheitk Common sense may not be so common.

Wait... What?
    I... how...
    okthen

9. Multoran

Multoran Active Member

Depression can effectively be reduced to a chemical imbalance in the brain.
    So in a way, yes.

10. AustinB

AustinB Active Member

TL;DR
    Yes. Depression is real.

11. racoondevil

racoondevil Minogue be my furname, hello!

Short and simple, yes! You feel drained even tho you slept enough and ate well. Things and events neither make you happy, nor do they upset you. You do not care. You go through the motions. You have nothing to look forward to, and nothing to be scared of. There are different kinds of depression, but this is my definition.

12. Bidoyinn

Bidoyinn Member

13. FluffyShutterbug

FluffyShutterbug A Foxay Femboy Photographer

Trust me... Depression is REAL. When I was 16, I was so depressed, that I couldn't even drag myself out of bed... :(