Is furry bullying a problem?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by BahgDaddy, Nov 12, 2017.

?

Have you experienced bullying because you're a furry?

1. Yes, anytime I mention it just about. Harassment, lost relationships etc.

1 vote(s)
    2.0%
  2. Yes, quite often, harassment etc.

3 vote(s)
    6.1%
  3. Yes, sometimes. Depends on the crowd.

10 vote(s)
    20.4%
  4. Not really

15 vote(s)
    30.6%
  5. I don't talk about it.

21 vote(s)
    42.9%
  6. No, I live in an accepting area and most people are ok.

7 vote(s)
    14.3%
  7. Utopia?

2 vote(s)
    4.1%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BahgDaddy

BahgDaddy Voice of reason

A recent thread inspired me to ask this question. I'm not asking if you've experienced bullying in general, although furries are 50% more likely to have been bullied according to Psychology Today. It seems, however, that the furry community is not well understood.

I'm asking if you've experienced bullying as a result of being a furry. Maybe your choice to draw furry art is mocked, or the fact that you still watch Balto even though you're an adult *closes Netflix tab*. No need to respond in comments, I'll try to get everything in the poll. Poll is private.

(I'm not some sort of researcher, but I feel like we can all learn from such things.)

2. TheArchiver

TheArchiver Ace Documenter

Averting harassment as a furry is rather simple. Refrain from being obnoxious about your interests. It really is quite a novel concept to merely practice self awareness about ones hobbies and/or fetishes. Furries overall typically are not known for such social skills however. There are exceptions of course.

Akartoshi, Amiir, AustinB and 9 others like this.
  3. Sarachaga

Sarachaga You gain Brouzouf

It hasn't really happened to me. This is part of the interests that I keep private. This way, I don't have to go into lengthy explanations about how this is just a normal hobby and so on...

Akartoshi likes this.
  4. Jay98

Jay98 The violent man-eater

John:
    I don't really have a call for going into that much detail about myself in my day to day life. Basically I run on a don't ask don't tell system. If the topic of what I do comes up then I simply say I use an animal as my persona online. I compare it to acting in a role for entertainment purposes and most get that.

Online however it's full of sects and wild opinions and the way I've been treated is mixed right across the board. The way I see it I'll just be a fairly pleasant individual and if people judge me without reading anything I post then they're a judgmental ass. If they have rival opinions however and are open to discussion about it I'll happily enter a friendly argument where we can calmly express our points and expand our understanding of each other. Those who melt down into trend phrases and violent speech in my opinion really show their level of maturity and I calmly watch them stir themselves up into a fury and make an idiot of themselves for all to see.

5. Lcs

Lcs Well-Known Member

:oops:

Amiir, BahgDaddy, Jarren and 2 others like this.
  6. Diretooth

Diretooth Dire Wolf and Dragon Therianthrope

Everyone knows I like anthro art by virtue of drawing it a lot, if they feel the need to make fun of me or harrass me, I'll just point out that I am not shoving my art in their face or bothering them, and that if me existing in their general direction is so anathema to their own existence, then they can go elsewhere.
    Even though I was known as 'the werewolf guy' in High School, nobody cared, and some even thought it was pretty neato.

BahgDaddy and Open_Mind like this.
  7. SveltColt

SveltColt Well-Known Member

Nah
    Never really happened to me.

But.

If people are going to be a dick to you because you are one. Then that is their loss, not yours.
    People are soo blinded by their own stupidity sometimes. So if some idiot does that to you,
    don't listen to them.

Another thing if people are going to hurt you for it then they need to go to jail.

8. I told my parents I was a furry years ago.

Biggest mistake I've made in a while.

They looked up what furries were and... What they saw wasn't pleasant for good Christian folk like them.

9. Yakamaru

Yakamaru I stubbed my log on a car!

We're going to have to define a "bully" first.
    www.thefreedictionary.com: bully

No, I haven't. Because I have enough common sense not to act like a moron in public let alone go around parading as if being a fan of something is this super awesome thing that everyone else should also be a fan of. I have enough common sense to not treat this fandom like a god damn religion like I've seen some people do. I have enough common sense and outright shame as to avoid unwanted and awkward social behaviour.

Outside "bullying" I don't see much if at all. Even second-hand "bullying". If it's over the internet, toughen up. Use the various block functions at your disposal. If it's IRL you're going to have to find other ways to deal with them. Use your head.

Now, INSIDE bullying I see some of it and experience it myself. Because my political and social views, opinions and convictions are "different" than a decent amount of Furries, I tend to experience and see it on both a second-hand level and on a personal level. And the vast majority of it comes from people in the Left-wing. Quite frankly, I'd rather call these people assholes, as I am not affected by their garbage. You can't claim to be accepting and tolerant while at the same time the moment someone disagrees with you, you call them everything from a neo-Nazi to a racist piece of shit. This fandom's become politicized through identity politics and political correctness, just like it have poisoned everything else.

^ This guy's got it nailed down, and nailed down hard.

Also: Furry FANDOM. Not a community. Just saying.

10. Sarcastic Coffeecup

Sarcastic Coffeecup Hand. Cannot. Erase.

I run a furry avatar on discord and once when another obnoxious furfag got called out, it was plural because of my avatar by proxy. Other than that it's rare unless you act like a retard

11. Ginza

Ginza Unironically Ironic

Nope, never been bullied for it. I don't really talk too much about being a furry, nor do I share things that I like. Very few of my friends know I'm a furry, and quite honestly, probably don't give a shit. I think it's all about how you present yourself that matters. People who know I'm a furry, only know because they've seen stories I've written or art I've done, not because I go out and act like a complete idiot. The whole idea that you must "come out" as a furry, is the dumbest ass idea ever. Furry isn't a sexuality, nobody cares what you do as long as you don't shove it in their face, and it shouldn't matter whether or not they know.

In my opinion, bullying comes more from the fact that us furries, tend to be incredibly inept when it comes to what is normal social behavior, and what isn't. This has been touched upon by the previous posters, but it's really such an important thing to keep in mind. Overall, keep this shit between yourself and other furs, and you shouldn't have any issues

Yakamaru and Open_Mind like this.
  12. Astusthefox

Astusthefox The King of Games

Kinda funny, most of the time if I ever get made fun of for being a furry is on Xbox live due to my usual furry type emblem on any game that supports custom made emblems (like Cod Black Ops II). If I get a message about it I just ignore it and they don't message back, but if it's in game chat I usually just go along with it and agree with them, make jokes about it too, they usually shut up about it and invite me to play with them (also because I usually wreck at those games anyways). So it hasn't ever been an issue for me

On the other hand the only person IRL that I know that doesn't like furries and me by extension is my friends roommate who had the unfortunate experience with a furry I dormed with in college who was constantly depressed so he kinda was a kinda a dick to the people he knew and on top of that he had a kink for being dirty... so he never bathed... so I don't blame her much for that

Crimcyan likes this.
  13. AcidWolf22

AcidWolf22 Lemon enthusiast

I never really mention it to anyone except close friends, so I have not had this issue.
    The only person I get crap from for it is my brother, who basically hates everything I like that he doesn't.

Open_Mind likes this.
  14. ChromaticRabbit

ChromaticRabbit lagomorphic

The irony is, the bullying came from subversive elements of hatred, madness, misogyny, militarism, Trumpism, and intolerance festering deep within the heart of SecondLife's "oldest furry fandom community."

[​IMG]

(full article) www.nytimes.com: Opinion | The Swine of Conservatism

Last edited: Nov 12, 2017
    BahgDaddy likes this.
  15. Yakamaru

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

What a load of bullshit. You've just hit a new level of bullshit I didn't think was possible. Thanks. <3

Junkerfox, Crimcyan and Ginza like this.
  16. ChromaticRabbit

Dude, you eternally confuse your own endless worthless arrogance and contempt for others with worthwhile speech.

BennyJackdaw likes this.
  17. Yakamaru

The article you linked LITERALLY says "OPINION". An opinion can never be right nor wrong unless it has an element or elements that can be objectively proven or disproven through facts and evidence.

No one here support your delusions you speak of.

18. Diretooth

Diretooth Dire Wolf and Dragon Therianthrope

Ignoring that big-lipped alligator moment, most instances of bullying I've experienced were not because I enjoy anthro art a lot, but because I'm a freckle-faced ginger who was introverted to the point where my tendency to seclude myself made me a target. Funnily enough, even though my behavior did not change much, people were less likely to bully me because I had awoken as a dire wolf therianthrope. As far as instances regarding the fandom, even being a Therian I haven't gotten a lot of shit for because I'm just that weird werewolf guy, and if I have, it's usually just some blatant troll who's trying to get a rise out of me.

Open_Mind likes this.
  19. ChromaticRabbit

Sorry, we're not living in a post-facts reality. You arrogantly and worthlessly opened your feces-talking mouth against me from a position of literal naked ignorance. That's not a good faith opinion. It's an empty disparagement, and you just did it in front of a room full of witnesses. What were you ever even thinking?

As this case in point illustrates, subversive elements of bullying in the furry fandom community undertaken by the ideological enemies of the fandom's roots is an endemic and growing problem. Well. Wasn't it always inevitable, with a fascist insurrection storming the world?

BahgDaddy likes this.
  20. Foenixblood

Foenixblood 75% gryphon, 25% phoenix, 100% fun

I haven't had any problems with being a furry, but then again i only told a few really close people, with different responses.

person 1: my mom - "a what?", i explained it to her, she looked it up and saw how big it was and approved of it and asked if i was going to get a furry girlfriend.

person 2: my sister - "Oh god", i explained to her that most of the stuff she heard was incorrect, saw my fursona and said it was cool.

person 3: her husband who is a good friend of mine - "How did i not see that", he was cool with this

I also told my small group of friends who i play smash bros with, they were cool with it

one person in the group: - "wow, cool, do you have a fake tail", "yes", "mind if i wear it", "sure", he wore it the whole time, i think i converted him

21. Yakamaru

[​IMG]

We shall convert the world, one individual at a time!

Junkerfox, Crimcyan and Foenixblood like this.
  22. -..Legacy..-

-..Legacy..- Sergal Mafia :P

I may have had some odd looks thrown my way, but no, I haven't been bullied for the fandom. I don't put myself in prey positions.

Quite frankly, I dislike observing the concept in general as well. While I do feel that Alpha personality has its place in certain aspects of society, the ability to control that personality is of utmost importance. My friends and I have had to step in on situations occasionaly, mostly stemming from a significant imbalance we observed. I remember a young guy many years ago, in a mall outside post. We were there for lunch, still in uniform. A few preppy kids were just laying into this skater kid verbally for seemingly no reason. The skater did not retort in any way, just tried to keep walking. The final straw was one of the aggressors saying something along the lines of "nobody is going to stop us". Well, guess it's time to learn what not being the apex predator is. There is always going to be someone faster, stronger, and meaner than you. I have to follow the same rule as well.

Usually, bullies need to experience their own form of medicine to understand. Sometimes it works, sometimes it makes them even worse. The important part, is they realize that they are just as soft a target as anyone else.

23. Yakamaru

>Uses an opinion piece as facts
    >Calls anyone who don't agree for arrogant, worthless and ignorant
    >Says they are not thinking

>Ideological enemies
    >Fascist insurrection
    [​IMG]

Crimcyan likes this.
  24. Rimna

Rimna Far from the madding crowd

I've tried opening up to some friends that I'm a furry and was met with negative reactions in all cases. "Dude you can't get a girl so you wanna fk animals?!?!" "I knew you were dum but this is just disgusting" and so on.
    So I don't do that anymore.

25. Pipistrele

Pipistrele Smart batto!

A huge problem, those pesky furries are always bullying everyone

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.