Is It Me, Or Is There More Ads On YouTube?

Discussion in 'Technology Talk' started by FluffyShutterbug, Jun 7, 2017.

1. FluffyShutterbug

FluffyShutterbug A Foxy Femboy Photographer

The title says it all. Has YouTube been plagued with more annoying ads than it used to be, or have I just been oblivious?

2. ACaracalFromWork

ACaracalFromWork Forgive, forget and live!

I feel the same, Youtube is very slowly dieing
    Youtube is not profitable for Google so enjoy it while it last.

3. FluffyShutterbug

And, once it's gone, how do I listen to music or watch funny videos?

Renan Azure likes this.
  4. ACaracalFromWork

You will be forced to watch my streaming service which will have two ads and the videos will refuse to play with adblocks. :V?
    [​IMG]

Yakamaru and Renan Azure like this.
  5. Renan Azure

Renan Azure New Member

What if Daily Motion took over as that form of media? xD

Well, I guess I never really considered how big YouTube would eventually get, but back when I first started using YT, the YT community seemed a bit closer and it really felt like it'd be around for a long time. And, uh, not change. Or change the way it did.

I dunno. I'm rambling! Maybe MTV will start playing music again or something.

6. Simo

Simo Skunk

It seems way, way more commercial than when it started.I very much loved the early days. I still use it mainly for certain obscure music, old cartons and quirky old TV shows...not sure what else is out there,that competes with it, in those aspects. But have never really watched what one would call 'You Tube Stars', and such.

But those ads...ouch. I really hate ads. Don't watch TV, that being one reason, and now, to have them there too sucks.

7. ACaracalFromWork

It was a free ballpark back in the day, a funny guy who was okay with the Sony vegas editor went places.

Simo likes this.
  8. FluffyShutterbug

Yeah. I'm starting to get really sick of any video longer than 5 minutes getting interrupted by a friggin video... :mad:
    BTW... Is your footer like a stab at me? :p

Simo likes this.
  9. Simo

Simo Skunk

Yeah, it's almost too slick, in ways. But maybe something new will come along.

I think the first step in its demise was when Google took it over. I've never really known what to make of Google...and yet, somehow, I have never really 'trusted' it, like it some kind of evilplan :p

10. MsRavage

MsRavage Hello!

The ads are everywhere...they've made their way onto facebook so if you want to watch a little video they have ads play right in the middle and i agree they're there much vigorously...it sucks and it makes me (atleast) not want to use it...but alas i love youtube

Simo and FluffyShutterbug like this.
  11. FluffyShutterbug

Google is Big Brother. Dontcha know?

Simo likes this.
  12. FluffyShutterbug

Yeah... I'd die without watching my favorite YouTubers...

13. Simo

Simo Skunk

No, I just like to tease foxes, is all! :p And in RPs, it's funny, I have had 4 foxes, now, over the years, who have wanted to be transformed into skunks...odd, in relation to all other species ;) Maybe I'll make a YouTube video on this no doubt scientifically proven fact that foxes really wannabe skunks!

Zenoth and Liam The Red like this.
  14. FluffyShutterbug

Heh... Skunks? They ok. I like foxes because they're dogs that are cat-like. :3

Liam The Red likes this.
  15. SunRaisen

SunRaisen Akira_Fox

Its true.
    I'm already sick of watching the commercials for that movie [The Mummy]

Renan Azure likes this.
  16. Saiko

Saiko GTWT Survivor

Has AdBlock stopped working on YouTube or something? I thought everyone used that.

17. Yakamaru

Yakamaru 100% faith-based dancing!

AdBlock and NoScript on Firefox ftw. <3

18. Pyruus

Pyruus Member

It could be related to earlier in the year, when Wall Street Journal showed an offensive video that had an "ad" on it. As a result, all these sponsers pulled out, saying that they didn't want to support a racist platform. In reality, the video was demonetized years ago, and the ad was photoshopped on.
    What I'm getting at is, maybe they all feel bad or something?

19. -AlphaLupi

-AlphaLupi The Fennec

I wouldn't know. I use uBlock Origin on both Firefox for Linux and Firefox for Android

20. GreenZone

GreenZone Well-Known Member

google has enough money to fund WW1 and WW2 all over again i don't think they care

Bugatti is the same VW operates on a massive loss per car but they don't really seem to care

21. PlusThirtyOne

PlusThirtyOne What DOES my username mean...?

i don't mind watching a 30 second spot for car insurance before watching a 20 minute movie review. i don't even mind ad breaks in the middle of a 2 hour Let's Play. -But what i DO mind is unskippable ads before a 10 second clip of two kittens playing, ham-fisted promotions spliced into bite-sized podcasts, banner ads that cover subtitles, sitting through a 2 minute ad before a click-bait bullshit videos that doesn't even deliver the "unbelievable fact" i came to learn or, oh, i dunno...having to sit through a minute long trailer for a video game (that shows nothing)...before watching a 20 second gameplay teaser for literally THE SAME FUCKiNG GAME!

Best part about uBlock is that i can whitelist all my favorite YouTube channels so i can still support the content i like and give fuck-all to the click-bait garbage i always get suckered into watching.

Liam The Red and Zenoth like this.
  22. Angellothefox

Angellothefox Member

I remeber a time where I think the only adds you got was those one that popped up during the videos. But you could easyily say goodbye to them by clicking the small arrow down.
    It was a simple way to get away from advertisments by just going on YouTube since they had hardly any adds exept that little annoying one that popped up but it was small enough to deal with.

Nowthey seem to be everywhere and it is very annoying. You have adverts that you can skip which is alright but the advertising people have cottoned on to it and before you can even skip the advert is over.
    Then they is those anoying advertisments thanks to google inventing google add.
    These are the advertisments that you can not even skip and it even likes to tell you you can not skip which really make me mad.

Adverts on YouTubers videos are annoying too. Sure paid YouTubers advertise at the end of there videos to get some bread in there jar but at least you can skip or come out of the video.
    Take Cardicurus for example, his videos would have been great if it was not for the adverts coming up each video you watch which puts me as a viwer off watching his content. Why would I spend all my time watching each new advert from a new video when I can find videos with limited or no adverts.

23. ArtVulpine

ArtVulpine Member

I don't think there are more ads, but there are more ads that you can't skip than the skip ones which are annoying.

As for Dailymotion, I'm not a fan of that either. Sometimes there are glitches with the ads of the video which forces me to refresh.

24. Jipotley

Jipotley New Member

soundcloud

25. jayhusky

jayhusky Well-Known Member

Only time I ever get Ad's on YouTube is when I'm on my phone.

Using a combination of uBlock Origin and a custom script solution, that takes care of all the ad's for me and makes for a much better viewing experience. Only downside is some 4K videos that are slightly larger than the 4K resolution (like 5-10 pixels larger) actually declare as 5K and the player stutters slightly, so that's for a future update I reckon.