Is It Me, Or Is There More Ads On YouTube?

Discussion in 'Technology Talk' started by FluffyShutterbug, Jun 7, 2017.

1. Julyne

Julyne New Member

I'm also annoyed by advertising on YouTube

FluffyShutterbug likes this.
  2. FluffyShutterbug

FluffyShutterbug A Foxy Femboy Photographer

Especially when you get stuck with an ad longer than 30 seconds that you can't skip! :mad:

3. DylanM40

DylanM40 Photographer

I'm one of the few who decided to subscribe to YouTube Red.

4. Water Draco

Water Draco I shal breath my fire on SPAM

Don't have YouTube Red in my part of the world, although probably would not subscribe.
    As for add’s they do have a function being they help pay for the service.
    Although I don't like being forced to sit through a 4 minutes plus add. Thought I had read somewhere that YouTube was trying to move to adds where you cannot skip would not be much longer than 30 seconds. For channels I subscribe too or channels that have worthwhile content I will endeavour to let the add’s play through so they get there half a cent for x many thousands of views.

5. DylanM40

DylanM40 Photographer

Yeah I can understand this. I mean the reason I rounded up getting it is because of music. Also it allows for it to run in the background on a phone.

6. Kezi Avdiivka

Kezi Avdiivka Active Member

People still watch TV? o3o?

7. DylanM40

DylanM40 Photographer

Yeah to play games and watch movies. Netflix is a thing now.

8. Pipistrele

Pipistrele Smart batto!

...what ads?
    Untitled.png

Dongding, Boardmindless and Sarachaga like this.
  9. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox Well-Known Member

Not just YouTube, but the entire fucking Internet is just one big advertising service now. Fortunately, there are ad-blockers, and I use no less than two at a time.

FluffyShutterbug and DylanM40 like this.
  10. WolfoxeCrevan

WolfoxeCrevan HELLO INTERNET

There are ads everywhere... even on Bowmasters... >~<

11. Dongding

Dongding The sheep

Which ad-blocker do you use? I've been paying for Avast since it's on my phone as well as my home computer. The free ones are probably just as good from what I can tell.

12. Pipistrele

Pipistrele Smart batto!

uBlock. It's the best one, really - completely free, open-source, very lightweight, and unlike majority of other ad-blockers, doesn't turn a blind eye on particular ad sources by default (yes, I'm looking at you, AdBlock :I).

The second extension on a screenshot is Disconnect, and I'll highly recommend to install it too - it doesn't block ads directly, but it protects you from all the cookie analyzers and data collectors that snitch your search results to the advertisers (so, you won't get bombarded by ads telling you to buy a brand new wristwatch whenever you google some info on time measures or something).

Dongding likes this.
  13. Dongding

Dongding The sheep

Kk muchos thanks. :3

14. redhusky

redhusky Active Member

*HIGH FIVE*

I wouldn't know, I just got used to blocking them. As someone who grew up with the rise of internet, ads used to be toxic in forms of both content shown and security leaks. I totally understand that sites need the rev to survive and was willing tolerate them but at the time the ad providers' and site admins' attitude was "It's on YOU and YOU need to take better care of your comp and if something gets installed that's YOUR problem." And I finally installed ad block and never looked back.

15. Yakamaru

Yakamaru 100% faith-based dancing!

Ever since the news of Firefox saying they were going to deal with "fake news", I've moved to Pale Moon. I fucking despise platforms that manipulate what people look at and search for.

Pale Moon is pretty much the same as Firefox, without search results being squandered and messed with.

16. Redwulf16

Redwulf16 New Member

I don't think youtube will die without something else taking it's place. There are more commercials now than there was but it's still
    not as many or as long as TV commercials. Also you can skip most of the longer ones after like 5 seconds.

17. Water Draco

Water Draco I shal breath my fire on SPAM

YouTube has to make money some how to pay for it.

There has been some talk about adds that run for more than 30 seconds that you can not skip. That people loose intrest in what is being advertised if it goes over the 30 seconds.

The whole advertising model YouTube is currently using seems to be in disarray (add apocalypse) and is desperate need of a considered approach rather than the kneejurk reaction approach that it looks like is presently happening.