is there a way to completely disable Explorer's UNDO function?

Discussion in 'Technology Talk' started by PlusThirtyOne, Feb 24, 2017.

1. PlusThirtyOne

PlusThirtyOne What DOES my username mean...?

Because i keep accidentally doing it and fucking up my files...

Seriously! Why the hell does Windows' Explorer have a goddamn UNDO function!?
    it's broken as hell! it doesn't work the way you'd expect it to so nobody in their right mind would use it more than once. -The first time being that which convinces you never to use it. Unfortunately for me, i've used a multitude of times...by accident!

if you're ever reorganize art or working with Photoshop files, PAY EXTRA ATTENTiON to your inputs and which windows you have maximized. if you even think about touching ctrl+z, your files may just up and disappear!

Explorer's UNDO function is broken AS FUCK.
    if you try to undo a simple copy'n'paste action, your files will disappear from both the target AND the source folder. No amount of UNDOs or REDOs can bring them back.
    if you attempt to undo a file delete, provided you didn't shift+del the file, it might come back but if you deleted a whole folder, you'll get back the folder...but NOT the files within it. They're gone.
    if you drag'n'drop a folder or files to a new location and try to undo the move, the new folder will cease to exist but the files won't move back to the source folder; they're just gone.

Sure, go ahead, UNDO again to get your files back. Go ahead. i DARE you. Explorer will just UNDO something else 3 or 4 actions ago in a different folder you're not looking at and you'll have no idea what moved, what folder the changes took place in or where your files went. They're just gone. Better luck next time, champ.

OH! -And don't even think about REDO'ing your goof. You might get your folder back but with none of the contents. Those are gone. Clipboard ate them. They were delicious.

2. PlusThirtyOne

Completely different program.
    if you use Windows, you're using Explorer whether you like it or not.

3. jayhusky

jayhusky Well-Known Member

This is a common thing with the explorer system unfortunately, however that said, you can recover the files though a file recovery program.

I know it's not ideal, but it will get them back (Up to about 3gb files, after that it seems to corrupt them, especially video files)

Explorer assumes if you undo a folder creation, that you already removed the files from it, as it interprets this as a file move (but a non-recursive one), setting a flag on the file to mark it as "deleted" and move it to a section of disk where it is held to either be re-written over with new content, or as I said above, to restore it.

4. PlusThirtyOne

My first real accidental file purge was due to an accidental ctrl+z press a few years ago and i lost about a gig and a half of artwork. A friend of mine who works for a rather large corporation gave me a (legit) copy of the same file recovery software used by many law firms. This was a something like a $3000 license; top of the line stuff! i ran the recovery wizard and it couldn't find ANY of my lost files. As i understood the issue, the files themselves weren't gone or marked as "over-write me". None of the files were flagged as "deleted" and therefore wouldn't pop up as "recoverable". Forgive me if i'm wrong but when cut'n'pasting files, nothing actually gets moved. instead, new directions are written for the appropriate files. Why physically move or rewrite WHATEVER.JPG when you can just modify the files' addresses.

Like renaming a street en lieu of relating residents. isn't that how it works?

To stick with my analogy, my houses and residents (folders and files) weren't destroyed or vacated. Explorer fucked up and destroyed the STREETS so nobody could get to said residents. The recovery software sought out files and sectors marked as "write to me". Unfortunately, my files and folders weren't marked and such and therefore untouchable simply because there were NO STREETS. Their file path(s) were...GONE!

Does that make sense?

5. jayhusky

jayhusky Well-Known Member

6. Sergei Sóhomo

Sergei Sóhomo Well-Known Member

Enable shadow copy. Every file you have will have a previous version associated with it even if you accidentally remove them.