I've been cheated out of a commission

Discussion in 'Main Site and Forum Support' started by DocOtto, Feb 25, 2017.

1. DocOtto

DocOtto New Member

To anyone who might be able to help:

About a month ago, I paid an FA artist to draw a short comic sequence for me. He provided a few early sketches, but then, suddenly, he stopped communicating with me altogether. No notes, no emails, no correspondences on FA, nothing. No matter how many times I tried to get in touch with him, all I got back was dead silence.

So, I sent him another note setting down a deadline. If he didn't (at the very least) notify me about what was going on, I was going to warn as many people as possible online that he was a thief and a swindler. That deadline has passed, and he still hasn't replied.

I hate conflict, and smearing an artist's reputation isn't something I enjoy at all, but I feel like I'm out of options. I don't want to name the artist yet, as I want to see if other alternatives are available before I burn any bridges, so to speak.

2. Alex K

Alex K Guest

Maybe he died?

3. Ashwolves5

Ashwolves5 Miss Fluffy Bottom

It was only a month ago so you can either wait or try to dispute it on payapal. Honestly it's still a short amount of time if only a month. If I have a queue up it can take me like four months for a turn around. I know my mate is still waiting for some commissions from five +years. I would see if they might have alternate accounts or if theyre on social media explaining the absence.

4. -AlphaLupi

-AlphaLupi The Fennec

Is he reading the notes you sent him? (Go to your FA notes - Outbox, look if there is an envelope. If there is, he hasn't read it yet. If not, then he has been reading them)

There is a few reasons he might not be responding, and honestly a month isn't very long, especially if it's a comic panel commission. I've had commissions where I had to wait several months. He could have gotten swamped with work or real life issues, there could have been an emergency, etc. Pessimistically, he could have taken the money and ran or could have been seriously injured or deceased.

I wouldn't start the smear campaign just yet. Make sure that he is genuinely blowing you off first (reading messages but not responding), and wait just a little bit longer. Setting a deadline means nothing if he didn't actually see that message.

5. DocOtto

DocOtto New Member

As much as I hate to say it, that could be a very likely scenario...in which case, I'll REALLY feel like a piece of crap. :(

6. -AlphaLupi

-AlphaLupi The Fennec

Don't fret, it's not impossible but honestly it's not very likely either. It's more likely they just got busy with life stuff and haven't been on FA.

7. Alex K

Alex K Guest

Maybe they got mauled by bears while tryin to use em for inspiration

8. Royn

Royn Otterest Sergal evah!

Could have been abducted by aliens...

9. SSJ3Mewtwo

SSJ3Mewtwo Moderator Staff Member

You can dispute the transaction via paypal, which is probably your best option. If you wish to spread word about them as a potentially suspect artist, you can post about it on Artists Beware (artists-beware.livejournal.com: "Artists Beware"

10. Martin2W

Martin2W Tombstone The Huggable Sergal

Bloody conman, I hope sum wasnt really big.

11. DocOtto

DocOtto New Member

Well, I give up. I've disputed the transaction on Paypal, and he still hasn't replied. At this point, I can only assume he's dead, or he just bolted with my money.

Do I have the right to warn other potential commissioners about this guy now?

12. SSJ3Mewtwo

SSJ3Mewtwo Moderator Staff Member

You can describe what happened on Artists Beware. But on both Fur Affinity's main site and the forums it would be unacceptable to call-out the user. Our rules don't permit call-out posts, because inevitably they result in flame-wars, drama, and harassment.

Crimson_Steel17 likes this.
  13. modfox

modfox The poltergheist that haunts the forum

mabey something poped up in his life and he has to deal with it....... idk

14. Martin2W

Martin2W Tombstone The Huggable Sergal

No I think he just took his money, nothing more.

modfox likes this.
  15. DocOtto

DocOtto New Member

So, in other words, he's pretty much stolen my money and there's nothing else I can do about it.

Well...shit.

16. Alex K

Alex K Guest

This is why I go to Wall Mart. You can grab the paintin's yourself and you can even see the face of the person you buy it from!