Learning how to draw?

Discussion in 'Art and Illustration' started by LamianLove, Nov 13, 2017 at 6:22 PM.

1. LamianLove

LamianLove New Member

Is there a good way of learning how to draw animals and anthros better because I'm not the best at it.

2. KrissySempaiArt

KrissySempaiArt Mama Memester

Personally , when i want to get better at something Im not very good at , i just keep drawing it over and over again until i get i honestly . I have about 20-30 pages in my sletch book dedicated to guns and hands and eventually i got the hang of it c: thats how i get better at things at least . Everyone is different , watching video tutorials can help too and learning what you wanna be best at , i.e markers , colored pencils , can help a lot too since getting really good at one can help you learn the basics of the other mediums a lot quicker .

LamianLove likes this.
  3. LamianLove

LamianLove New Member

Ah thank you! I'll try to do that.

4. loomou

loomou Your Local Art Nerd

Hiya! For me it's important to look at and practice drawing how certain animals look, even if you google "cat" and just look at the different faces and try drawing a few, or seeing how ears look on different angles of the head, or looking at the paws and how their "wrists" work and bend etc. I'm quite new to drawing anthros as well, so its a challenge but practising is so important and will get you far!! And don't be scared to check out other people's work to see how they did it. As the person above said, video tutorials or tutorials on dA/tumblr etc can be really useful too!!

Good luck! I'm sure you'll get the hang of it in no time.

KrissySempaiArt likes this.
  5. ProjectDuska

ProjectDuska New Member

Personally, I mainly draw just animals, so I guess I can’t really help you out with the anthro part, but what I did was really analyze the anatomy. Yeah, yeah, that’s what everyone says, but honestly it’s very important.
    I began by learning how everything is made up of simple shapes, circles, ovals, rectangles, you get the idea. Then you begin seeing how those shapes fit into an animal’s body, you draw a rough sketch using those as a base for the actual body.
    It’s super annoying, but practice will always help you advance and become better. You may look at your stuff now and be like ‘ew what no’ but before you know it, you’ll be able to see how much progress you’ve made.
    Also, don’t be afraid to look up tutorials! Understand that you will have less experience than the person teaching you, but don’t let that discourage you! I remember being super discouraged whenever my art didn’t look exactly like the artist’s result, but the only way to get better is to practice.
    This website is my go to:
    design.tutsplus.com: How to Draw Animals: Bats (this is a link to a bat tutorial I looked at recently, 10/10 would recommend). Not only does it teach you the anatomy of said animals, but it also teaches you poses and dives into details, like paws or eyes.
    Anyway, keep on keepin on my friend. I hope this helped. Good luck!