Learning to draw, looking for guidance

Discussion in 'Tutorials and Critiques' started by Khazius, Jan 12, 2017.

1. Khazius

Khazius The Fruit Bat

2. MadKiyo

MadKiyo Villainous Fly

What you have right now seems to be fairly consistent and a decent starting point.

www.furaffinity.net: Side view, looking for tips by Khazius

With this one, I noticed how the muzzle seems more protrusive rather than molding with the rest of the face. Some examples of fruit bats in images can show that the muzzle, towards the bridge of it (the part of it approaching between the eyes), sort of spread out a little and flattens, making it more seamless. Here's a budget illustration:

[​IMG]
    Noticed the pronounced curve. Front views are normally easier, but here you can see the gradual curve.

So the tip is, don't think of the muzzle as a part of the face, and more of the face itself.

3. Khazius

Khazius The Fruit Bat

Head Tilt.png More like this then?

4. MadKiyo

MadKiyo Villainous Fly

Looks nice. The fading around it isn't truly needed, but you can do that if you wish. If want to know about anything else, just ask. Things like shading, etc, because it looks like you're on the right track.

Btw, what program are you using?

5. Khazius

Khazius The Fruit Bat

paint.net

and I like the fade, I feel it brings out the edges better than just a plane black backround.

6. MadKiyo

MadKiyo Villainous Fly

I use paint.net as well, it's how I color some of my pencil drawings (because I'm not very good making purely digital art, or using real paintbrushes or ink, so I compromised)

To help you out with your FA profile, I'm willing to give a free a commission if you'd like. No telling when exactly I'll do it, probably in the next day.

7. Khazius

Khazius The Fruit Bat

Haha well I would appreciate it ^^ Iv been drawing purely digital for 3 days so far, and physical I can... do a stick figure?(Maybe if I have a ruler.)

8. MadKiyo

MadKiyo Villainous Fly

So do you have an idea what the full body of your fruit bat looks like, or have you just focused on the head so far?

9. Khazius

Khazius The Fruit Bat

Iv just focused on the head thus far, I did a full body as the bat body but character wise I was thinking more humanoid, wings from between the shoulder blades, etc. Im still experimenting with this char.

10. MadKiyo

MadKiyo Villainous Fly

Ok, will consider that. G'night! buzz buzz

11. nerdbat

nerdbat Green butt of reason

Greetings, fellow batto!
    If you're interested in only drawing your character and nothing else, there's quite an insightful tutorial on sophisticated batdrawing that you can read right here.
    But in generel, if you want to "draw good", I suggest you to get some dank books and grind a lot. Loomis is a good pick, here's lotsa books, worth years of studying. At the very least learn the "Fun With Pencil" one - it covers all the basics in simple form, and while you don't instantly become an amazing artist or something after that (it takes years and decades to be one), you'll be able to put cutesy stuff together on a whim and with iron consistency, instead of randomly throwing lines on paper to see what sticks.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2017