Lots of Spam: A better solution? Like, maybe appoint a Spam Cleaner?

Discussion in 'Site Discussion' started by Simo, Nov 1, 2017.

1. Simo

Simo Skunk

I've really come to love and enjoy this forum, and I'd like to think I've done at least a small part in helping it become a welcoming, inclusive and enjoyable place for furs to visit. And I know the mods work hard to keep the spam from coming in, but at many points, it gets so heavy, that it makes me worry that people will avoid the site due to this, and as I value it a great deal, I was wondering if perhaps somebody might help clean it up.

They don't have to have any other mod related powers or responsibilities; just to help clear away spam. I think this would be a logical way to help things move along on an even keel, and to help grow and nurture the site.

I myself don't have the time, but I bet there's some furs out there willing to help.

So, whatta ya say?

And again, this is not to be naggy, but because I value the community here.

2. Yakamaru

Yakamaru I stubbed my log on a car!

I volunteer as spam cleaner, if it's worth anything. Despite disagreements with people here, I like the forums as I've spent a great deal of time here.

3. -..Legacy..-

-..Legacy..- Sergal Mafia :P

Pretty much in the same boat. I'm constantly online watching some of these guys loading out entire subdirectories.

You'd pretty much require being a full mod though, since deleting a user and prior postings is at that level.

aloveablebunny and Yakamaru like this.
  4. Yakamaru

Yakamaru I stubbed my log on a car!

True.

5. Water Draco

Water Draco I shal breath my fire on SPAM

The spam bots are also getting more complex. Some can now read capcha text and derive the correct answer.
    I always flag spam that I see on the forum. It is a constant cat and mouse game for the administrators and moderators.

aloveablebunny and Rant like this.
  6. Open_Mind

Open_Mind Well-Known Member

I dont know the technical elements behind how the forum "works" (and don't need to), but a quick scan of how it appears on my cell phone shows that most --but not all -- of the spam follow a clear pattern.
    Screenshot_20171101-141143.png

If this is typical, I'd propose a filter/segregate approach. In the time I've been here, no 'real' member has used a URL web address as the title of their post. Can the system flag what it detects as a URL in the title (i.e. anything starting with http:// or https:// ) and move all those into a holding folder? It may not catch all of them but it looks like it would get about 95%.

Would sure save a lot of time for the moderators...

Ginza and Rant like this.
  7. Fuzzylumkin

Fuzzylumkin Fuzzbutt

I have volunteered many times to do this, I work nights and am usually here until around 1 am pacific time.

Rant and Open_Mind like this.
  8. Open_Mind

Open_Mind Well-Known Member

^^ I hope you can get traction on that. Sounds like a win-win to me

Rant and Fuzzylumkin like this.
  9. SveltColt

SveltColt Well-Known Member

I wanted to help get rid of these bots but I'm not old enough to help deal with these things.

10. Rant

Rant Haters Gonna Hate

You're right a filter program would be best, we have coders on these forums right? If not we can reach out to furs on FA for some help in making the filter program. If I had the power myself I would have done it long ago.

Also is it possible to contact the companies being spammed here and ask them to cease and desist or face legal action?

11. -..Legacy..-

No, for two reasons at least.

*Can't sue outside the jurisdiction, and I doubt the forum is based in Korea.

*Spammers are easy to dissect from official company business anyways. They can always claim it's not an official employee.

Rant likes this.
  12. Fuzzylumkin

Fuzzylumkin Fuzzbutt

Ugh the worst part about all of this is if the spam filters would filter this crap out instead of locking down regular furs who just post a lot, we wouldn't have to worry about spam, I am to the point where I am so sick of getting lockdowns, im ready to find another forum to hang out on. Im literally locked out 2-3 times per night

Rant likes this.
  13. -..Legacy..-

I woke up this morning, after a good 7 hours of sleep. One post reply, locked out lol.

Meanwhile, Kim Jong Un is making 30 threads.

Ginza, Rant and SveltColt like this.
  14. Fuzzylumkin

Fuzzylumkin Fuzzbutt

yea... I got locked out last night before I got off work.. couldn't reply at all until around 5pm tonight.. could do maybe half a dozen posts and locked out again... then wait.. one post reply.. locked again...

Rant likes this.
  15. SveltColt

SveltColt Well-Known Member

oh god its happening again.
    well time to block more bots.

Rant and modfox like this.
  16. modfox

modfox The poltergheist that haunts the forum

i drop of turpentine will fix it!!!!!
    but on a serious note yes the spam bot are getting rather annoying. i say death to spam bots and in with the spam cleaners

17. GreenZone

GreenZone Well-Known Member

ok i'm going to risk getting told off here as staff don't like certain sites or articles about them bring brought up buuuuuuuuuuuuuuut

if you know how the site and staff works its not professional in any way that's all i'll say

modfox likes this.
  18. Fuzzylumkin

Fuzzylumkin Fuzzbutt

if you are referring to my comment... I actually do not know how the site works in spam filters ... obviously.. otherwise I wouldn't get myself on lockdown every night

19. GreenZone

GreenZone Well-Known Member

nah not talking about you mate if you stick around long enough you'll know what i mean

20. Fuzzylumkin

Fuzzylumkin Fuzzbutt

lol totally re-read that original comment of yours and ... wow... I was totally reading that wrong all together lol sorry about that.. I have been kind of overworking myself a lot lately and am a bit more punchy than usual

21. Kaigofox

Kaigofox New Member

Do you need a pc to change profile pic beacous im on ps4 and cant do it

22. Fuzzylumkin

Fuzzylumkin Fuzzbutt

....uhh.. what...?

23. Kaigofox

Kaigofox New Member

Currently my profile picture is just a gender sign i was asking if you know how i change it

24. Fuzzylumkin

Fuzzylumkin Fuzzbutt

you have to go into your profile settings and change it that way, I don't know if you can do that from a web browser on a PS4... I don't know why you would even use a web browser on a ps4...

25. AkuroZinnui

AkuroZinnui Femboy Music producer, at your service~

If there are any mods looking at this thread, I can volunteer. I have a decent amount of experience coding bots like these for research and developmental purposes (as well as a few pranks), so maybe I can help rid the forums of these abominations.

Rant and Open_Mind like this.