Lots of Spam: A better solution? Like, maybe appoint a Spam Cleaner?

Discussion in 'Site Discussion' started by Simo, Nov 1, 2017.

1. Dragoneer

Dragoneer Administrator Staff Member

I'm taking look at Xenforo's spam filters today to see what we can do. They don't seem to be having an real impact.

Update: I redid a lot of our anti-spam settings and added a new one. Giving it about a week to monitor how they hold up before I try to take next steps.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2017
  2. Dragoneer

upload_2017-11-3_10-50-17.png

upload_2017-11-3_10-47-46.png

So a bunch of spam did get through last night and we cleaned it up. Here's what our anti-spam tools DID block last night. I'm still going to give it a few days to see how they do but it DID block a lot last night, and unfortunately it can't stop spam that's not automated.

3. -..Legacy..-

-..Legacy..- Sergal Mafia :P

I was waiting until tomorrow to give an opinion, as your registration hiatus may have altered the new account creations.

They register during the day, then spam out the next morning.

4. AkuroZinnui

AkuroZinnui Femboy Music producer, at your service~

You may need to implement something like RPNation's 10 post rule. It prevents new users from doing things like making their own threads until after they've made 10+ posts in other threads. If an inautomimous (?) spammer tries to post anywhere, users can quickly catch and report them.

5. GreenZone

GreenZone Well-Known Member

i still like the idea of giving reputable users e.g @Yakamaru slight reporting powers to catch spammers scammers and trolls like not ban them outright but put a kind of mute on them until staff can review bots will normally shut off once they can no longer post

6. Akartoshi

Akartoshi you have been booped by the web potater foxxo

Here is my suggestion:
    All users must introduce themselves in the thread "Introductions" and from there, mods can make a decision on them.

Simo, Yakamaru, Ginza and 1 other person like this.
  7. -..Legacy..-

If programming allowed, that's not a half bad idea. Downside would be some users being put off by the time process. Not all, but some.

Akartoshi likes this.
  8. Akartoshi

Akartoshi you have been booped by the web potater foxxo

Well, they can just say "Hi, I'm new" and that's all. If they are too lazy to do that, they probably wouldn't want to take part on the forums anyhow xD

Yakamaru, Ginza and -..Legacy..- like this.
  9. GreenZone

nah cause you'll get guys who are like

"oh ah.. this place is cool i guess i don't know" and are just shy and just coming into the fandom staff might mistake them for trolls

10. Simo

Simo Skunk

Ah, but I will sniff the trolls out, spray them, and quickly drive them away!

@Dragoneer-Thanks for looking into added filters, here's to hoping they work! What's funny is that most of the ads are for stuff to improve our health, looks and virility...are we that sickly, ugly and impotent? : P

11. GreenZone

the bots track people via their internet history so a lot of the members must be looking to be more healthy

12. Dragoneer

I modified out Captcha slightly today, too. Testing out various things to see what we can do. The problem is a lot of these bots and bot companies are rather sophisticated, and they've specifically targeted forums of various platforms.

There's a LOT of things we can do to combat them but we have to test one thing at a time, else we risk false positives, which means it may impact regular users who are trying to contribute to the forums.

Yakamaru, Simo, Lcs and 1 other person like this.
  13. -..Legacy..-

Pretty much. These guys are paid to spam on volume, on the basis of site hit production. The more they achieve, the more they can charge. Programming to circumvent anti spam is no different than anti virus software, it's s constant arms race.

14. Fuzzylumkin

Fuzzylumkin Fuzzbutt

Can you do something to keep the regular users from getting locked down from posting replies? Drives me insane to get a daily lockdown

15. Simo

Simo Skunk

Geez, what a horrible sounding job!

16. Dragoneer

Yep, and the problem is our measures can stop automated spam but people who do it manually by hand are much more difficult to stop.

-..Legacy..- likes this.
  17. Dragoneer

It looks like the limit was 50 posts per day. I've more than doubled that. Let me know if it still gives you grief.

Fuzzylumkin likes this.
  18. Fuzzylumkin

Fuzzylumkin Fuzzbutt

Awesome thanks! I spend most of my evenings on here and find myself locked out a lot

-..Legacy..- likes this.
  19. -..Legacy..-

^ The joke is he is still going to lock himself up lol.

Love ya Fuzzy lol

Fuzzylumkin likes this.
  20. Fuzzylumkin

Fuzzylumkin Fuzzbutt

Lol you're probably right

-..Legacy..- likes this.
  21. Pipistrele

Pipistrele Smart batto!

Eeeeh, I don't know. It's a recipe for disaster to give shadowban rights to random folks - you don't want this place to turn into NeoGAF 2.0, do you?

Sarachaga likes this.
  22. Fuzzylumkin

Fuzzylumkin Fuzzbutt

lol that sounds fun!! I want in on that

23. Water Draco

Water Draco I shal breath my fire on SPAM

I will just continue with puffing fire on the spam by means of the "Report" button.

Open_Mind likes this.
  24. -..Legacy..-

Judging by this morning, I think the new settings were more efficient. (Unless the morning moderator sweep has already been completed)

I only had to tag 2 post last night, and another 2 this morning.

25. Dragoneer

upload_2017-11-4_11-44-40.png

The new filters are working pretty well. While some spammers are still getting through the new system is auto-flagging their posts into the moderation queue, meaning you don't see them. That lil' blue shield icon = moderated post. Continuing to monitor. We have to do some clean up still but at least users aren't having to see it as much.