Manga recommendations

Discussion in 'Books, Comics & Graphic Novels' started by Insanity Steve, Apr 12, 2016.

1. MarineHaddock

MarineHaddock New Member

Mother Keeper; My personal favourite manga, I absolutely adored this. I'll give fair warning, you can definitely see how the artist improved over the years but by the end of it, the art is lovely. Also sadly, Kawaii Corner had their paws on translations, decided "who needs a proofreader anyway" and refused to do redraws. The series is a grey vs gray morality type. Ricalna comes from the slums and is the adoptive son of the leader of a rebellion against the "utopian" government. Ricalna gets caught and starts to see the world from the view of that government and has to decide who he really wants to save here. Ricalna is a pretty big emotions character and not really a fighter, most the fighting in this manga is done by the female cast (who I adore) or the old men (because the author has a preference for old men). It's fun and a pretty light read. It's 72 chapters long and translations have just completed, I read it when it was still translating and managed 40-50 chapters in 2 days and I'm a slow reader.

Monochrome Factor; From the same author as Mother Keeper, this is the more shounen school manga. It's a fantasy story at heart and a very good one, but the start of it does feel like a lot of early 2000s manga involving teenagers. The manga is a shounen-ai, and if you're familiar with the comedy anime adaption, you'll know that. The manga took a much more serious route with it and the ending is actually one of my favourite manga endings ever. The story itself is about Akira, a teenage boy who really doesn't want to be a protagonist to begin with but has to because he's forced to. He's a jerk, he'd probably let his friends die if you really gave him a choice. Akira has to stop the evil villain from destroying the world because he's not given any choice in the matter. The cast is solid, once again with a lot of emotional stuff with the male cast, meanwhile, the girls do a lot of fighting, though the boys do get some my favourite scenes go to the girls. For the most part, it's a pretty standard series but I really enjoyed it surprisingly even though it's not really my style.

Croa Chimera (also translated as Kuroa Chimera): The newest work from the same author, showing off the great standard of art they've achieved. A fantasy series based on people who can turn into animals/half animals/maybe have a snake tongue, with a doctor in the main role. The series is still very early on so it's not quite got into the actual plot, but it's still nice enough to just enjoy the art and spot things from his doujins.

Sennen Meikyuu no Nana Ouji (Seven Princes of the Thousand Year Labyrinth): Again quite a new manga but one that very much throws you in at the deep end right from the start and plans to just fill you in as you go. Eight people awaken in a castle filled with traps with the simple task of whoever makes it out gets to be king, if more than one makes it out they can vote on who they want to be the king. Naturally this is going to cause problems because some have very different views on how they want to become king and not all of them are above murder. It's a manga that constantly feels like it's going because the characters are constantly being pushed forward, as they'll drown if they stay still too long. It's a very fun read though there are some questions as to how long it can really last with only so much of a castle to journey through.

2. I knew someone would post that horror

Lasvicus likes this.
  3. TidesofFate

TidesofFate Your friendly neighborhood Executioner

Getter Robo.

There's also a Star Wars manga for the entire trilogy for Star Wars fans and one for the Phantom Menace if you care about that one.

4. Arcturus Maple

Arcturus Maple Trustworthy, Non-Creepy Sort

"A Centaur's Life" by Kei Murayama is a pretty good slice of life, but told in a world where nearly everyone is a liminal. That is to say, the story centers around people with various features from other creatures. The main characters include centaurs, fauns, angels, satyrs, imps, mermaids, and snake people (not naga/lamia, literally snakes with human arms and legs).

5. bubblymaika

bubblymaika I'd sell you to Satan for one corn chip.

If you enjoy horror manga, I really recommend Junji Ito's works. He also has a "horror" comic about his fiance's cats.

xaliceonfire likes this.
  6. Agatha-Hart

Agatha-Hart New Member

Skip-Beat--even if you aren't interested in shojo, so long as you like funny stuff you'll definitely get a kick out of this series!

If you're looking for something less plot heavy and more focused on pretty art and sweet stories I'd recommend Mushi Shi or Natsume's Book of Friends (Natsume Yujin-cho).

Also Noragami. Unfortunately they removed the anime from Netflix and Hulu :mad: but I'm sure the manga is very good too.

7. TidesofFate

TidesofFate Your friendly neighborhood Executioner

Saint Seiya, the original series. The anime is good too though.

xaliceonfire likes this.
  8. Togo57

Togo57 New Member

Not sure if these are "obscure" enough, but maybe you could give them a try (all synopsis gotten from MyAnimeList):

Not Simple: Ian, a young man with a fractured family history, travels from Australia to England to America in the hope of realizing his dreams and reuniting with his beloved sister. His story unfolds backwards through the framing narrative of Jim, a reporter driven to capture Ian's experiences in a novel: not simple. A story within a story, a book within a book, a tale about the search for family, for an emotional home.

Soul Hunter: When his clan is wiped out by a beautiful demon, young Taikobo finds himself in charge of the mysterious Hoshin Project. Its mission: find all immortals living in the human world and seal them away forever. But who do you trust--and whose side are you really on--when you've been trained to hunt demons by a demon?

Haruka na Machi e: On his way back from a business trip, the protagonist decides on a whim to take a train back to his old hometown. The moment he pays respects to his mother's grave in the transformed town, he is transported back to a summer when he was still in junior high school, only with all his middle-age consciousness, knowledge and abilities intact.

Legend of the Strongest Man Kurosawa: 44 years old, single, working in a construction company for his entire life. All Kurosawa wants is a little respect from his co-workers. And a little popularity won't hurt. Unfortunately Kurosawa's plans fail miserably from time to time and one day, he finds himself right in the middle of a fight against...delinquent middle schoolers?

Hotel: It is the year 2272 A.D. A computer continues to live on in order to complete a mission in a world where all life, including Mankind, has gone extinct. This is a record of those 27 million years of its heroic struggle. A collection of short stories.

Seeds of Anxiety: It's a collection of very short and mostly atmospheric stories dealing with urban legends, ghosts and superstitions all organized around a specific theme (school, visitors etc.). Some are just two pages long (basically Theater of Darkness/Yami Shibai in manga).

9. Iceeat

Iceeat Member

Depends on what you want really but I had fun with Honey and Clover.

Its a slice of life story following a group of friends in college and some of their teachers. As the story goes on they learn about growing up, life, love, and coming to terms with unpleasantness. Your main character is a boy who is in art school and doesnt know where he's going in life or what he's gonna do in the future. The manga is a funny comedy for the most part but its also soothing and all the characters are intresting in their own right.

Some of the major themes is unrequited love, finding yourself, learning to move forward, and letting go. Even better many of the cast learning these things are anywhere between 20-40yrs old making it a great read for older people and recognizes that just because your older doesn't mean you always have everything figured out.

10. FonzieThSuperWizard

FonzieThSuperWizard AAAAAAAAAAAAYAAA!!! *beats up his keyboard*

I think any manga is good to read. Maybe Hunter X Hunter? :3

Arcturus Maple likes this.
  11. SchmooPie

SchmooPie Magical Bun Schmoo

I will always recommend Angel Sanctuary. It's 20 volumes long, and gets pretty involved, but it's really, really good!

xaliceonfire likes this.
  12. xaliceonfire

xaliceonfire Kiralee

Out of all the manga I've read, I think I enjoyed Attack on Titan the most. Of course it's still being realeased, but it was a series I couldn't put down until I ran out of chapters to read.

13. RicoOfTheSkies

RicoOfTheSkies The Eagle Who Sees All

I'd recommend Rave Master and Shaman King. Both are rather underappreciated and go beyond what the anime covers for both of them.

14. LittleWoodlouse

LittleWoodlouse New Member

I know this is a little late, and I don't know what you're into, but Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou is a pretty good read, it's a post-apocalyptic slice of life.

15. Rykhoteth

Rykhoteth I AM A HUGE JIAN PLEASE BREAK MY LEGS

I Am A Hero

[​IMG]

It's unlike a lot of manga. One of the few gunowners in Japan barely surviving a zombie apocalypse, despite being a stereotypical cowardly dweeb. Slight self-awareness in that he worked for a Manga studio when it went down, with a good mix of humor and horror. Covers many different groups of people, and in some aspects is as good or better than The Walking Dead comic. It gets strange. Then stranger. Fantastic art and overall quality, it got picked up by Darkhorse and I think the first volume might already be available in English.

16. nerdbat

nerdbat Green butt of reason

Berserk and JoJo's Bizarre Adventure are two absolute classics.

Sarachaga likes this.
  17. Pinecat

Pinecat Tired

Try: Natsume's Book of friends.
    It's my favorite series and I highly recommend it.

Mandragoras likes this.
  18. Anyone got a good Shojo that has good characters, story, and all the warm and fuzzy feelings of the characters falling in love? I've seen the anime of Orange, Blue spring Ride, Ouran High School Host Club, and a hand full of others, but haven't gotten to the Manga of said titles as I'm sure the story gets further developed in the manga vs. the anime. But are there any other titles that my heart would go doki-doki? *bricked*

19. Nova Scarlett

Nova Scarlett "If Music Be the food of love, Play on"!

20. Activoid

Activoid Artist

If you want obscure I would recommend DOGS.