Metal

Discussion in 'Music & Sound' started by Lyxen, Mar 5, 2017.

1. Lyxen

Lyxen Revivalst

I think the metal posted in this forum sucks. it's all rhythm based with no talent on guitar. I don't get it,.,,, anger issues? World doesn't like you? It's just blast beats the guitars barely move from one fret. Does anyone remember times of harmonic guitar melodies and drums that you can hear other things through. Maybe people just like to stomp around now. I blame Russia

I dig the early eighties people were always sounding and looking like animals

2. Cloudyhue

Cloudyhue Certified Fuzzbutt

Now I don't know anything about metal but I do know about this.

Cerberus326 likes this.
  3. Wolveon

Wolveon I swear I will not kill anyone.

lol..

\m/

4. Cerberus326

Cerberus326 Member

Ac/DC...Kiss...Meatloaf...The earlier Metallica...Twisted sisters...Blue osyter cult ... Boston... so many more

5. Cerberus326

Cerberus326 Member

Yes these jrock is great also.a different type of rock it is.really injoy them along with stereopony and a few others..Plus head banger is a good one too

Cloudyhue likes this.
  6. Lyxen

Lyxen Revivalst

I guess everything is thrash based now. Megadeth is thrash style. That baby metal is thrash based. Meh I'm studying guitar and bringing back sick harmonies, theres enough slam drums to go around already, takes zero talent from aguitarist to be in a metal ban now you just got to get a drummer hooked on red bull. Which kills you if you drink enough. One of my ex drummers drank that shit like water and died of a brain aneurism. Rest his soul....

7. Yakamaru

Yakamaru No "Awooo'ing" allowed

Can't spell Metal without Metallica!

8. Bluey Grifter

Bluey Grifter Member

I love stuff like SAXON and a lot of the NWOBHM... GILLAN at his best in 1980, etc etc!

9. nerdbat

nerdbat Green butt of reason

Welp, there are always progressive branches for those dissatisfied with modern mainstream metal. You can check out Vektor, for example - its "Terminal Redux" was one of my favorite albums of 2016, mainly because how it combines thrash/death-like spiteful mish-mash with genuinely intricate composition and complex progression, instead of purely relying on shock/headbang factor, and does all that to a fantastic result.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2017
    Wolveon likes this.
  10. Wolveon

You're either trolling or have no idea what you're talking about lol.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2017
    Yakamaru likes this.
  11. Lyxen

Lyxen Revivalst

OK name on "metal" band within the last ten years that doesn't have blast beats trolling the entire album

12. Wolveon

Within the last ten years? I can't really think of any bands I listen to that are that young.

13. Okami_No_Heishi

Okami_No_Heishi Very Happily Married For 16 And A Half Years

I saw and lived through the birth of Metal. That's why I don't like new metal. Metallica, Anthrax, Slayer, Pantera, King Diamond, etc.etc. Ministry is a favorite.

14. Lyxen

Lyxen Revivalst

KING DIAMOND!!!! yes omg have you heard this one bahahah

Makes me fucking happy everytime

Cerberus326 and Okami_No_Heishi like this.
  15. Okami_No_Heishi

Okami_No_Heishi Very Happily Married For 16 And A Half Years

Jesus! That was a long time ago!!

16. Winter

Winter Not really here

How about this guy?

17. Wolveon

Artwork reminds me of Reinventing the Steel.

18. Lyxen

Lyxen Revivalst

this guy has the best arpeggios hes awesome

19. Selly

Selly Strange Creature

Doomy stuff has started to grow on me, stuff like Katatonia, Swallow The Sun, October Tide, Saturnus just to name a few.

Although my favourite stuff tends to be ambient black metal, I will agree it's less about prowess with guitars and whatnot.

20. Mandragoras

Mandragoras Inept Abecedarian

And what, pray tell, is wrong with blast beats?

Even setting that aside, your opening post is remarkably ignorant about the vast majority of modern metal, like you've only been listening to raw black metal and nth-wave deathcore and somehow managed to mix up your basic stereotypes. Or maybe you're talking about slam or something? In which case, there are some fairly obvious counter-examples to your assertion even in that very silly genre.

Regardless, you sound like someone who's just so *bitter* that more aggro styles are en vogue now and the more straightforward, catchy stuff you like is a bit less in focus, and yet too lazy to actually go out and look for bands that actually play that kind of metal. Or entertain the idea that there is metal which embraces melody and technical finesse while also working within styles that might not be your cup of tea. I'd suggest checking out Krallice and Bell Witch if you haven't already, should you be willing to take that plunge.

I am sorry for being snippy, but I really don't care for broad shit-talking when the shit-talker in question clearly doesn't have a full understanding of the subject they're making their grand pronouncements about.