Metal

Discussion in 'Music & Sound' started by Lyxen, Mar 5, 2017.

1. Lyxen

Lyxen Revivalst

Um
    ok thanks for suggestions. Get bent

2. Cerberus326

Cerberus326 Member

Just asking but what do you think of bucket head?

Nosta likes this.
  3. Mandragoras

Mandragoras Inept Abecedarian

Yeah, I kinda saw that coming.

It's fine to like what you like. Just don't be a dick about it, and don't say things you can't back up.

4. Simo

Simo Skunk

Never have been a huge metal fan, but I do like certain things which I think helped lead up to Metal: Earlier Deep Purple, Led Zeppelin, things of that ilk.

But I always liked punk/hc better, because it was so much cleaner and faster sounding, and I loved how it ranged from silly to highly politically focused, not to mention the hair...I miss the days of seeing the Dead Kennedys, MDC, The Cramps, and the like.

5. Mandragoras

I've always dug the points where the lines between punk and metal got a little blurry, although my education in grind, crust punk and crossover thrash is far from complete. Japanese hardcore, in particular, is a field which I find fascinating but know very little about, besides Death Side being the actual best thing.

Ravofox likes this.
  6. Lyxen

Lyxen Revivalst

Buckethead is a very experimental artist with roots differing in many genre, my friend recently turned me to The Corn Bugs which is a genre very hard to describe but you can see what it's going for. As a shredder I have much respect for his playing. Listening to The Corn Bugs though is an entirely different aspect of him in a band setting.

Cerberus326 likes this.
  7. Lyxen

Lyxen Revivalst

Back what up? I've spent all night looking through bands on bandcamp too. Found a few bands I dig that are recent. The bands you've recommended are entirely experimental, is that supposed to mean something besides you showing me the obscure? I guess what I'm looking for in terms of what I dig in terms of genre is called "power metal" which has deep roots in NWOBHM

heres someone new
    check out the sick harmonies!!

Last edited: Mar 8, 2017
  8. Mandragoras

They're not actually that experimental. I picked them because they have a knack for melodies and they're just, y'know, *cool.* Krallice are a very technically-minded melodic black metal band, and though they've gotten into some herky-jerky dissonant territory recently, they're kind of my go-to for showing people that black metal can feel transcendent and epic. Bell Witch, meanwhile, are kind of ambitious but are basically just a super stripped-back funeral doom outfit; their melodies are really neat and they have this intense sorrow to their music which I find very compelling. (Same goes for The Slow Death, who have one hell of a female vocalist.) I know plenty of obscure, extremely weird bands, but I didn't want to toss you into the deep end like a total "GET OWNED" asshat. Just show you that metal's bigger than you were making it out to be.

Power metal is fun, if not entirely my cup of tea. Manilla Road are pretty swag, and Kamelot are cheesy but entertaining. Not quite in the same sphere, but you might like A Forest of Stars and the aforementioned Death Side.

9. Lyxen

Lyxen Revivalst

Get Owned by what. I'm sure whatever you throw at me I've probably heard some band similar....

10. Mandragoras

Somebody trying to make a point by confusing you and actively making you look as stupid as possible while maximising their smugness quotient. I... try not to be that guy.

I really do suggest you check those bands out if you haven't hear them. Crystal Logic, in particular, is a classic.

11. Lyxen

Lyxen Revivalst

Nosta and Mandragoras like this.
  12. Mandragoras

For reasons I will never entirely understand, there are a lot of really good bands with "witch" in their names, Witchfinder General being only the most notable.

Lyxen likes this.
  13. Wolveon

Wolveon I swear I will not kill anyone.

Nosta likes this.
  14. Lyxen

Lyxen Revivalst

15. Wolveon

16. Yakamaru

Yakamaru No "Awooo'ing" allowed

Hmm. Metal, metal..
    Oh, I know!

17. Bluey Grifter

Bluey Grifter Member

I love The Cramps!

Nosta and Simo like this.
  18. Nosta

Nosta Member

So many different tastes of metal. Can't wait to get home and add to the list.

19. Mandragoras

Carl Ruggles-esque orchestrations and ostentatious Italian death metal need to come together more often. It would greatly benefit mankind, in my distinguished scientific opinion.

20. Wolveon

If you liked that, I would definitely recommend checking out their last three albums, The Great Mass in particular.