Metal

Discussion in 'Music & Sound' started by Lyxen, Mar 5, 2017.

1. Royn

Royn Otterest Sergal evah!

Cerberus326 likes this.
  2. Wolveon

Wolveon I swear I will not kill anyone.

3. Cerberus326

Cerberus326 Member

O wow haven't listened to them in a long time...They got really dark toreds there last two CDs.

4. Cerberus326

Cerberus326 Member

This guy is great seen all of his videos.!*

5. Wolveon

By last two albums, I assume you mean The Industrialist and Genexus? But then again you say you haven't listened to them in a long time.. Little confused here lol.

Cerberus326 likes this.
  6. Mandragoras

Mandragoras Inept Abecedarian

Oh, they've been on the List for a while now.

In terms of metal that takes a symphonic tilt, I tend to prefer stuff that either draws on styles of classical or orchestral music with a similar tone to begin with—Septicflesh are a good example of this; these are definitely guys who have at least a passing familiarity with The Sun-Treader—or just go in a really strange direction with it, of which Book of Sand are a good example.

7. Cerberus326

Cerberus326 Member

Yes because they had 3 out in the late 90s then one came out around 2003 then then another around 2010.last time I listen to them was 2011. So it's been awhile because it's 2017 now so close to five or six years now.

8. Cerberus326

Cerberus326 Member

Sorry if I confused you in anyways

9. Sergei Sóhomo

Sergei Sóhomo Well-Known Member

10. Wolveon

Ah, so the last album you've heard from them was Mechanize? They still have yet to top it. The Industrialist, which came after Mechanize, is a really controversial album. I personally have a soft spot for it. Genexus came out in 2015, and a lot of people really like it.

Cerberus326 likes this.
  11. Alex the Angel

Alex the Angel New Member

As a Metal musician and fan, I can gladly say that I enjoy all types of Metal. From Bullet For My Valentine to Cannibal Corpse to Slipknot/Stone Sour and straight-up Djent stuff like Meshuggah and Within the Ruins. I'll literally listen to all of it.

Cerberus326 likes this.
  12. Mandragoras

I think Within the Ruins are more of a progressive deathcore act overall? Not at all my cup of tea—those clean, high-attack leads are interesting in theory but very silly in practice—but very skilful, plus their guitarist seems like a cool dude.

I am, as y'all can probably tell, very into black and doom metal and their sundry offspring, as well as, to a lesser extent, death metal and some of the earlier iterations and perversions of metalcore, particularly where grindcore was a major influence. I also quite like early industrial music, but most industrial metal that isn't, say, Godflesh or Ministry leaves me cold. (Stuff like Bloated Subhumans doesn't really count.)

13. Cerberus326

Cerberus326 Member

How does one feel about the cult metal scene?

14. Mandragoras

What do you mean by "cult metal" here?

15. Wolveon

Only cult I know of.

16. Cerberus326

Cerberus326 Member

Basically cult metal is a band that plays really hard core death metal and they sell tons of CD or records that top out real quick then alot of people still remember them like "cradle of Filth"...Or "gwar" that's what I mean because when they first came out they labeled them as cult metal.

17. Mandragoras

So bands with a cult following? That's not really a genre: The Black Legions, Gore, Kayo Dot and Anal Cunt all have cult followings, and aside from all being "metal" they resemble each other about as much as Chvrches and Sebadoh. Also, Cradle of Filth came out of black metal, not death metal. I know that seems nitpicky but it's actually a huge difference.

Mare than anything I'm just confused. Do you mean bands that "sell out" or something?

Wolveon likes this.
  18. Selly

Selly Strange Creature

Not quite, because they generally maintain an underground status. At least, i think that's how it works.

19. Mandragoras

So just, like, cult bands. Which is to say, again, not a genre, nor something that I think it's particularly reasonable to ask for a blanket opinion on. I mean, I have nothing against Cradle of Filth personally, but asking me about them is going to elicit a very different response from me from asking about GWAR, or Meshuggah, or Alcest, or Dream Theater. Even if I'm mostly lukewarm on those bands, it's for entirely different reasons.

I will say that Dream Theater Fanboys are the worst people in metal, though. Not mere casual fans, granted, as one may enjoy Dream Theater and have at least half a brain, but Capital-F Fanboys. You have no doubt met at least one before; your life was probably shortened by a year at exposure.

20. modfox

modfox The poltergheist that haunts the forum

this is my favorite metal...
    [​IMG] iron is the best!!!

Ravofox, Cerberus326 and Mr. Fox like this.