Metal

Discussion in 'Music and Audio' started by Lyxen, Mar 5, 2017.

1. Sergei Sóhomo

Sergei Sóhomo Well-Known Member

Aww shit some Korpiklaani
    You might like Eluveitie if you haven't heard them yet

Iovic likes this.
  2. Surreal Mentality

Surreal Mentality Subaru goes BWAAAAPSSSSHHHHH

Whoah. How about some desert metal?

Mandragoras likes this.
  3. Winter

Winter Not really here

Here's some bands I think deserve more recognition:

4. Wolveon

Wolveon I swear I will not kill anyone

5. Mandragoras

Mandragoras Inept Abecedarian

If at this point this thread is mostly just "post metal you like which you wish more people listened to," well:

6. Wolveon

I mean, I'm open for a discussion lol.

7. SwampGoat

SwampGoat Gris-Gris on you

8. Mandragoras

OK!

I've been listening to a lot of sludge recently. There's something really compelling to me about the combination of syrupy-slow low-end trudge and rabid junkyard dog levels of viciousness.

9. Pipistrele

Pipistrele Smart batto!

Sludge bands always take all the best names for their songs - "White Nigger", "Captain Pungent", "
    Dr. Seuss Is Dead", these guys don't screw around!

10. Mandragoras

Sludge and the no-fun noisy end of industrial music are weirdly intertwined, and of all of the genres of extreme music are two of the best suited to generate hair-raising song titles and lyrics. With brutal death metal and certain kinds of grindcore you have a lot of grisly, gory shit, but there's rarely that hyper-personal nastiness to it. Eyehategod's "Sisterfucker" has always struck me as the emblematic fuck-you sludge title, whereas industrial has Throbbing Gristle's "We Hate You (Little Girls)" and Whitehouse/Sutcliffe Jügend's "Right to Kill"—absolutely zero beating around the bush here.

11. Wolveon

12. OakenheelTheWolf

OakenheelTheWolf Active Member

13. Surreal Mentality

Surreal Mentality Subaru goes BWAAAAPSSSSHHHHH

14. DeathMetalDeer

DeathMetalDeer Cervine Master Race....

On the heavier side of things. Came across a band called Kraworath while looking for more music. Would fall into the brutal death metal genre.

15. lupi900

lupi900 Active Member

Since the other guy is ignoring you immature reasons.

Noise/industrial is pretty much sludge's second style influence. So I'm not surprised it can show up allot of time or as a combo.

16. Mandragoras

Is he? Last I checked, Pipistrele and I were cool.

Oh, no doubt, the bond goes back decades. Look at Godflesh.

17. lupi900

lupi900 Active Member

I was meaning another user with a blue fox avatar.

And other bands if we include drone doom like boris first album.

18. Mandragoras

Ultimately it all goes back to Swans. Massive sound, dirge tempos, Jurassic-scale low-end, simple yet dissonant chord progressions—their first four LPs were basically the forerunner to a whole slew of extreme doom and sludge acts, not to mention grindcore and industrial metal.

19. Simo

Simo Skunk

I saw them a few years back, on some kinda reunion thingy...not bad, but not like their early stuff, and VERY, VERY LOUD.

We ended up liking the opening act better, who has worked with Coil at times, Little Annie (Bandez) ; she reminded me a bit of Edith Piaff. The Swans were OK, but not as I recalled them. Certainly tight, but almost grating, a bit brassy and obvious compared to the earlier material? This was a show in Baltimore, March, 2015.

20. Mandragoras

I have seen them twice, first at their first post-reformation show at the Trocadero when My Father... came out and then at the Union Transfer when they were airing material for what became To Be Kind, including the title track and "Nathalie Neal". Honestly, I'm more enamoured with their last two albums than most of their older work, and I was hardcore into them from the time I heard "Telepathy" when I was 13.

That said, I do think they've lost a bit of the nuance that Jarboe's contributions and Gira's folkier impulses gave them—I was also super into Angels of Light, maybe more than Swans if I'm being candid—but I feel like the conviction and ruthless clarity of the new stuff gives it some serious power. "The Glowing Man" is possibly one of the best songs I've heard this decade, and that's saying something.

I saw A Hawk and a Hacksaw open the first time, thus completing my boxed compass of Neutral Milk Hotel members seen live separately, which was a good time; the second it was Baby Dee, cohort of Current 93, whose work I wish I were more familiar with because I only recognised one song and felt a bit lost despite digging the vibe.