Net Neutrality Day of Action

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by -AlphaLupi, Jul 12, 2017.

1. -AlphaLupi

-AlphaLupi The Fennec

Today is the Net Neutrality Day of Action, and the war for the web is back on!

Not sure what Net Neutrality is?

Please check out this video:

Right now, in the US, if you pay for an Internet connection you get access to pretty any and every website without your Internet Service Provider being able to control the speeds to individual sites. You get the speeds you pay for universally.

Without Net Neutrality, Internet Service Providers can drop the default speeds down so that websites are extremely slow to load, requiring you to pay extra for access to "the fast lane" for individual websites. Want to access Facebook and Twitter at the same speeds as before? That'll be an extra $5/month. Want to watch Netflix without buffering every 5 seconds? Give us $10/month more or settle for ComcastTV.

If a website is critical of the Internet Service Provider or goes against their political beliefs? Screw them, charge anyone that wants to access that website an extra $50/month to access it at standard speeds.

I wrote a blog post on this if you are interested in reading more, but don't just take my word on it! Check out Battleforthenet, the Electronic Frontier Foundation, Reddit, or just search it up for yourself!

This is not a partisan issue, this impacts all of us. The only people that benefit from repealing Net Neutrality are the greedy owners of large monopolistic ISPs.

If you wish to get involved, please check out battleforthenet for more details and spread the word! Tell your friends, family, coworkers, mailman, your dog, anyone that will listen

2. GreenZone

GreenZone Well-Known Member

yeah but you're forgetting something

total biscuit is the biggest piece of shit ever sooooooooooooooooooooooooo..........

also i think you're a bit misinformed its about ISP providers blocking certain sites all together so say an ISP has a political agenda without neutrality they could block certain sites that contradict their narratives

corporations like google and netflix are the ones who have to pay not us

Last edited: Jul 12, 2017
  3. -AlphaLupi

-AlphaLupi The Fennec

There's plenty of other alternatives if you don't like TotalBiscuit:

To name a few

4. GreenZone

i'm not even American though

i'll be honest it sucks for you guys but it doesn't really effect me enough to do anything

also your blog and subreddit are confusing af

5. -AlphaLupi

-AlphaLupi The Fennec

Ah, gotcha

They cannot actually block websites, that is illegal even without NN, however they can throttle speeds (sorta) to make it infuriating to attempt to browse certain websites. And while they could then charge Google and Netflix to include them in the "fast lane", the consumers are still going to be the ones paying for it in the end. Even if they decide not to charge consumers directly, Netflix and Google are going to need to increase the cost of their services in order to maintain profits.

Right now they can't charge you more to visit FurAffinity Forums, for example, at a higher speed than your default package includes. That would be in violation of NN laws. However, without NN laws, they can set a limit on your connection speeds universally, to say 1 Mbps, as that is the "base speed" for the package you bought. The base speed would be extremely slow and frustrating, unless you shell out a ton of cash, and you would probably never visit FAF.

However, If you really wish to visit FAF at the 25 Mbps that you had before, you would need to be upgrade to a package that includes the "Forums Fast Lane", for example. In that case you can access forum websites at 25 Mbps, but now you have to pay extra for it.

You will be paying the same amount of money for your Internet connection, but the ISP can choose what speeds you get depending on the websites you access.

6. GreenZone

i don't really know how that's even legal in America though

in Australia its borderline constitutionally illegal to actually do that because of equality and anti monopolization laws
    the only thing they can do is throttle your speeds if you go over your data plan or suspend services if you don't pay your bill

7. Belatucadros

Belatucadros Totally customized title

Thanks for sharing, this is some pretty scary shit. I'm so sick of these companies that don't give a damn about humanity and only about the money that goes into their pockets.

AustinB likes this.
  8. GreenZone

American companies*

Yakamaru and Dmc10398 like this.
  9. -AlphaLupi

-AlphaLupi The Fennec

That's corporate greed for ya. The rich fucks essentially toss their cash around and think they can do whatever they want, and they usually get away with it too. The major telecom companies have been hit with antitrust laws in the past, broke up momentarily, and have been working on merging back together ever since. Absolutely no humanistic values at all. Profit above all. Makes me sick.

10. Dmc10398

Dmc10398 riding against the wind

Yep exactly, we've let the big corporations and greed take over our country. Healthcare just being the most obvious example, the insurance company posting billion dollar profit each quarter while people go bankrupt over minor illnesses. I am Adderly ashamed of my country anymore, it's really disgusting!

Last edited: Jul 12, 2017
    -AlphaLupi likes this.
  11. GreenZone

there was a HUGE scandal like that here in Aus it turned out the banks were working together to manipulate the market

so say one bank wanted more customers the other banks would hike their prices up and the first one would lower its prices the consumer watchdog caught on and it started a massive shitfight they were fined billions and now they're under close watch

sometimes i forget how fortunate i am to live in this country cause we have so many laws geared to protecting the people
    people think this is a meme but America actually is a Plutocracy not a Democracy

i think its official political term is "Democratic Plutocracy"

Last edited: Jul 15, 2017
    AustinB, Dmc10398 and -AlphaLupi like this.
  12. -AlphaLupi

-AlphaLupi The Fennec

Sounds like an average day here, haha

I'd consider moving to the land down under, I do love the heat. But you have some big freaking spiders, and I am not sure how I feel about that.

13. Dmc10398

Yeah I'm pretty sure banks do the same thing here but instead of being a crime it's probably encouraged.

The big corporations pretty much run things and consumer protection is a joke. The practices that caused our housing crisis back in 08-09 are still being done and no doubt will cause another crash in the near future.

14. Dmc10398

I would love to move to any number of first world countries Australia topping the list. But I'm pretty sure most of these countries don't want any more Americans, unless they have tons of money of course :)

15. GreenZone

we have this fucked training area here called Cultana

[​IMG]

there's no giant spiders in urban areas though mate ive spent a lot of time in different parts of the country that's the only time ive seen a bird eater and ive never seen a sydney funnel web
    yeah its not a good time to move here the imigration laws changed i think you need to contribute something to the country to be able to migrate here now

it was strict before but recently it became even stricter because something like 60% of people living here were born in other countries and 80% of migrants make up the workforce

Dmc10398 likes this.
  16. Dmc10398

Yeah I don't blame them but I really couldn't move anyways. My whole family lives here and with all of my bitching and moaning I do have a good job and with a major corporation :mad:

17. GreenZone

thank you for your cervix

18. Dmc10398

It would just be nice to see the country I served join the rest of the civilized world in taking care of its citizens and becoming the great country it once was.

19. Dmc10398

Cervix...huh ???

20. GreenZone

it will to a certain extent but your government system is too ingrained to be dismantled short of rebellion

Australia is much different because we based ours on the Westminster parliamentary system and as a result we're close to a "pure democracy" where everything needs to be put to a vote and there's about 3-4 bodies preventing the government becoming tyranical

Parliament
    The senate
    the courts
    (last resort) the Military

take the gun restrictions here Americans assume the government did that on their own... no... because its not how our system works it was actually put to a nationwide federal vote after the people demanded it and it was 80% for and 20% against

it wasn't this authoritarian combine bursting through doors confiscating weapons like Americans and some more stupid Australians like to claim

all that happened is the government said "get a licence and registration for your weapons or you can hand them in for cash"

Dmc10398 likes this.