Net Neutrality Day of Action

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by -AlphaLupi, Jul 12, 2017.

1. raaky-draws

raaky-draws New Member

That's definitely illegal here in the US. The question is whether it's enforced.

Jeez those are some extreme numbers. People in the US throw a fit when it's like 1/5 that much.

2. Dmc10398

Dmc10398 riding against the wind

Yep exactly, do you have any doubt in your mind it is completely ignored like most banking laws, especially the ones that are supposed to protect consumers?

3. GreenZone

GreenZone Well-Known Member

too long and political to explain here but TLDR: Australia was very progressive too much so for too as our motto is "a fair go" (meaning equality for all) but recently the government was like "oh shit our people are dying... and are also a minority" i remember in 2005 we used to play a game called "spot the Australian" it sounds racist now but it was actually a game we used to play

any way sorry for derailing the thread @-AlphaLupi time to go back to looking at your weird/confusing comic blog thing?

-AlphaLupi likes this.
  4. raaky-draws

raaky-draws New Member

Thanks for clearing that up, I can see how that could happen. "We're an island country, we need more people, we wanna be the new 'place to be', let's make it super easy for anyone to move here... we're open minded, we're tolerant, yeah guys come move to Australia!" 5 - 10 years later "Wait what just happened, where are the Australians?" It's all about striking the right balance.

And yeah I wanna learn more about the comic blog too. It looks like sci fi, I like sci fi

-AlphaLupi likes this.
  5. GreenZone

that's EXACTLY what happened

"we're progressive have a lot of tech leading medicine (at the time) we should be the size of America and have mega cities lets just import everyone"

but it wasn't 5-10 years it started around 1996 proper and before then was in the 70s when the "whites only" policy was dismantled (it wasn't actually whites only people just gave it that name for some reason)

6. raaky-draws

raaky-draws New Member

I don't wanna get into race politics here, but I'll look it up. You just made my day super interesting, I knew nothing about Australian politics before and now I have stuff to google at work. Thanks!

7. -AlphaLupi

-AlphaLupi The Fennec

Lol xD

If it's really confusing, I'll have to work on making the UX more intuitive (the site is still very much a WIP)

Hey, cool! :cool: I'm still working on it, I have a lot left to go. It's not totally optimized yet either, but I'm working on it.

It is very much sci-fi, with heavy influence from the cyberpunk and space opera genres. Based around a world I've been building, with a story about a computer hacking Fennec xD

8. GreenZone

i was thinking about doing a comic but my PC is a decade old and about to blow up...

until i got paid today
    [​IMG]

i'm not kidding i'm actually about to buy a new PC that's what ive been doing all night i'm just deciding on a hard drive

9. -AlphaLupi

-AlphaLupi The Fennec

Haha, nice! Enjoy!

I've been wanting to upgrade my GPU myself for a while a now

10. FluffyShutterbug

FluffyShutterbug A Foxy Femboy Photographer

Jeez.... This is pretty terrifying. And with the congress we have today in the USA, this is a real possibility. When's the vote gonna be?

11. GreenZone

its not as impulsive as i made it look

i decided to make this a while ago and the origional plan was to buy it in bits over the year i have the case fans and mobo but i may have to stop work for a while so ive decided to go "fuck it" and just buy the rest now while i have the money i did have to downgrade the GPU from a 1070 to a 1060 cause the 70 went up $250 for some reason but its just a GPU i can get a better one later

12. RandomNinja11

RandomNinja11 Meme King

I wouldn't worry too much -
    The FCC is a US organization and they would be controlling the internet in the end and due to that, if net neutrality was abolished and ISPs blocked sites and throttled, that would be taking away freedom of speech which isn't only unconstitutional, it goes against what the US was based on. We can safely assume that net neutrality is here to stay.

... Except in North Korea...

13. FluffyShutterbug

Since when did our GOP-dominated congress give a care about the constitution? They only care about scratching the backs of Big Business which in turn gets them votes.

14. RandomNinja11

RandomNinja11 Meme King

Even looking back in history, especially US history, in the end big business never won. I'm not saying that congress is entirely good and altruistic and all that, not by a longshot; but there are still people who care about rights in congress.

FluffyShutterbug likes this.
  15. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox Well-Known Member

So is this going to a U.S specific thing if it passess, or globally?

16. FluffyShutterbug

Well.... I guess it'd depend if other said countries hold on to Net Neutrality.

17. -AlphaLupi

-AlphaLupi The Fennec

I wouldn't be so quick to assume the best. While I usually try to remain optimistic this is still a very bleak situation. Comcast, TWC (Spectrum now, yuck), AT&T, Verizon, etc are still large monopolies, and there are still A LOT of areas where they are the only options. They can do whatever they want, and most peoples only option is to pay up or give up access to the internet. There are no other options. They are greedy soul-sucking corporations that deserve to die, but I digress.

Blocking connections to websites will still be illegal yes, but that's not what Net Neutrality protects. They'll just argue you can still access the websites, just at a slow speed. If you want more bandwidth, you pay more money. These rich fuckers have more than enough cash to throw around to get away with it. Comcast, arguably the worst offender, spent millions lobbying congress alone.
    Unfortunately it seems the major telecom companies are winning right now, laughing straight to the bank. Hopefully some David comes and slays this shitty Goliath, but it doesn't look very hopeful. :(

18. Ravofox

Ravofox And a few other fursonas as well

The fact that Google, Facebook and Twitter are rallying against changing it gives me optimism that it won't happen. I also think that if it is attempted there would be such a large backlash that it would have to be reversed. That's my opinion anyway.

19. FluffyShutterbug

Nice.......... Comcast is my ISP.
    They don't care about us. Even if they protest, they still won't care. Politicians have stopped making public appearances because of the backlash they're facing.

20. -AlphaLupi

-AlphaLupi The Fennec

Ouch, that really bites. I hate Comcast with a passion.

FluffyShutterbug likes this.