New full length novel.

Discussion in 'Books, Comics & Graphic Novels' started by Lupus Pistris, Dec 20, 2016.

1. Lupus Pistris

Lupus Pistris New Member

Greetings, I'm new to the forum but not FA. I've been submitting short stories under the name Lupus Pistris (Wolf Shark,) and have decided to go a step further by writing a full length novel with a furry theme. The novel is called The Escape Pod. To whet your appetite a bit, the story takes place in our current time. An Army Ranger from the U.S. is abducted by aliens while on a combat mission. While on board the alien craft, he realizes he's not the only abductee; a cat/cougar-like woman from a race called the Jojanis. The alien abductors have nefarious plans for their victims, so the human helps the cougar-girl escape, and in the ensuing escape, they damage the ship they're on. They fight their way to an escape pod seconds before the ship is destroyed. The pod crash-lands on an uninhabited world filled with dangers and wonders, but eventually, the two survivors realize they'll be part of a much larger scheme which will have implications for perhaps all civilizations in the galaxy.
    The story isn't erotica at its core, it's a science-fiction/adventure, however, there are several steamy love scenes between the human and Jojani, including some kinky motifs. It's my first attempt at writing a full-length furry -themed novel, and at just a tad under 90,000 words, I'm hoping you find it well worth the $3.49 on Amazon for the Kindle version. Anyway, I'm thrilled to be announcing this story, as I've put a lot of work and thought into the story, and I'm excited to share it to the fur community! Thanks for letting me get up on my soapbox here, and feel free to ask questions (of course, I'm going to try to avoid too many spoilers, because that's never fun, but I'm happy to share any clarifications to the story or critiques.) Thanks again, and all the best to everyone here :)
    (For some reason the link won't show, not sure if that's a forum policy or if it's because I'm new and there are protocols. Anyway, just search "The Escape Pod" on Amazon and look for the matching artwork, also my own.)

[​IMG]

2. reptile logic

reptile logic An imposter among aliens.

Hello and good luck to you. Another newbie author here. If I can remember how I attached the link to my posts; I'll be happy to line you out. Its been a while since I did it.

3. Lupus Pistris

Lupus Pistris New Member

Thanks Reptile Logic, much appreciated, and I hope the best for your written works too!

4. Lupus Pistris

Lupus Pistris New Member

A huge thank you to everyone who has purchased the book so far! I hope you're enjoying the story and characters. If Santa brought you a gift card for Amazon and you're not sure what to spend it on, treat yourself to a copy of The Escape Pod! :D

5. sans-uchiha

sans-uchiha New Member

Reading just the sample snippit Amazon allowed me to read, I have to say, the writing itself is pretty good. It's a clear voice, average use of metaphors/allusions and the descriptions are all fine. However, just from what I read, you're very Tell-Not-Show and a lot of your exposition is pretty much just slapped out instead of expressed through character. Granted that I was only allotted to read the first few pages and it seems like your story is an action-adventure with light romance/erotica, so obviously exposition is only expected since anyone reading will probably only be planning on going on a trip rather than a story.

I can't read the entire novel or anything but if it's as well done as the first pages, I think you have yourself a workable product. For a first-time novel it's at least a pretty good start. One suggestion I'd really urge is better cover art, though. No offense meant, but the current cover looks pretty bad and if I were judging purely based on cover alone, I wouldn't have even read the first sentence. If you can, you should really look into getting a better picture to use for your cover.

I know you weren't looking for a review or anything, but I was just curious, so I checked it out. Hope it goes well for you and everything.

Wonderloaf and Lupus Pistris like this.
  6. Lupus Pistris

Lupus Pistris New Member

Thanks for the brief review. Yeah, I totally agree, the artwork is lacking; unfortunately, I'm not much of a visual artist. One day, I might commission someone on FA to do a better cover for it. The character development is somewhat lacking in the very beginning to set up the plot, but a lot of character growth does occur. If you ever do get a chance to read further, I'd love to hear more from you on your opinions. Either way, I appreciate your candid and fair words.

7. sans-uchiha

sans-uchiha New Member

Perhaps you could just have the cover just be simple text with no picture? Perhaps the current cover doesn't bother anyone else and it's just me, but it really poorly reflects the quality of the writing. When I saw the cover, I immediately assumed I would be reading an unedited/un-paragraphed mess.

8. Lupus Pistris

Lupus Pistris New Member

I could certainly give it a go. I'm not sure if it would attract much attention though, with plain text.

9. Lupus Pistris

Lupus Pistris New Member

Is this better?

Attached Files:

10. Lupus Pistris

Lupus Pistris New Member

Changes are submitted, it will take a bit of time for Amazon to republish it. Perhaps up to 24 hours, I apologize for any delay on this.

11. Lupus Pistris

Lupus Pistris New Member

Well, it took forever for Amazon to implement the changes, but the new cover is active. I hope the minimalist cover doesn't mean it'll get lost in the shuffle, but yeah, if the artwork I did sucks, then even a minimalist pic will probably be better.

12. Lupus Pistris

Lupus Pistris New Member

I'm amazed how many people are reading The Escape Pod through the Kindle Lending Library. The only place I've "advertised" the existence of this book is right here in this thread, so for everyone who has either purchased or read it through KOLL, thank you. If you want to leave a review or a rating on Amazon, or on here, or even on my FA page Lupus Pistris, I'd love to hear your thoughts on the story!

13. Okami_No_Heishi

Okami_No_Heishi Very Happily Married For 16 And A Half Years

Gonna check it out. Sounds good!

Lupus Pistris likes this.
  14. Lupus Pistris

Lupus Pistris New Member

Thanks, Okami_No_Heishi, I hope you enjoy it!

15. Lupus Pistris

Lupus Pistris New Member

Thanks a ton to whomever gave The Escape Pod 5 stars at Goodreads! It's much appreciated, and makes me feel great knowing you enjoy my work!

16. Lupus Pistris

Lupus Pistris New Member

Just an update, I'm working on a shorter novel/novella which will be pretty much straight-up erotica. It's a tickling, femdom, BDSM story, and I'm looking forward to sharing it with everyone here!